Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5836 5837 [5838] 5839 5840 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471359 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87555 on: October 12, 2015, 02:25:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87556 on: October 12, 2015, 02:26:10 pm »

Also, related to spam rant: Why does it seem like every forum RP is set at St. Bland's Academy for Special Snowflakes? I have two hypotheses. Occam's Razor would suggest it's just that everyone who posts in them is 15 years old so younger teenagers at a school is the only experience they can relate to.

The more interesting hypothesis is that it's actually ingrained in forum nerd culture; the age group of now-functioning-adults who were teenagers in the mid 2000s, when modern forum culture really emerged, had the academy idea ingrained in their minds mainly by Harry Potter but also with contributions from things like X-Men and several animuuu of the period. While most of these people grew out of those interests, a few remained and passed down the academy RP meme to the new generation of teenagers, and it went down the line to the present day.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87557 on: October 12, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »

While many of those in school dream of our lives when out of it, I don't doubt.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87558 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »

*shrug*
Mostly because they're reboots of the same game?
Iunno, maybe next run will be (*gasp*) A COLLEGE.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87559 on: October 12, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »

Office Building of the Damned RP Thread Game Thing when?
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87560 on: October 12, 2015, 02:31:36 pm »

DO EET.

Office politics simulator, hell yeah!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 12:00:43 pm by NJW2000 »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #87561 on: October 12, 2015, 02:32:25 pm »

I was almost persuaded to join one of the high school thingamajigs, but freeforms in that vein aren't really my thing.
DO EET.

This I could get behind though.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #87562 on: October 12, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

DO EET.

*scrabbles out*
Do it. I'd join it.
*scrabbles back down*

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87563 on: October 12, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »

Now we're getting close to my field of expertise.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #87564 on: October 12, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »

So we're in agreement that this should be a thing KosS should do?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87565 on: October 12, 2015, 02:46:00 pm »

Well, he did volunteer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87566 on: October 12, 2015, 02:50:14 pm »

I'unno, I run into folks pretty often that are aware enough to realize that life outside of school is broadly speaking comparatively shit -- they've seen their parents, they know the folks that dropped out or went straight into the workforce, etc. More stressors, less free time, no significant uptick it cohort maturity (including your own, but now you get to play charades that it's different :V), shortly in the future a body that's breaking down instead of building up. They don't so much dream of life outside school as dread it. Some idealize it, I guess, especially when much younger, but some days it seems like it's less than you'd think.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87567 on: October 12, 2015, 02:59:19 pm »

Also, related to spam rant: Why does it seem like every forum RP is set at St. Bland's Academy for Special Snowflakes? I have two hypotheses. Occam's Razor would suggest it's just that everyone who posts in them is 15 years old so younger teenagers at a school is the only experience they can relate to.

The more interesting hypothesis is that it's actually ingrained in forum nerd culture; the age group of now-functioning-adults who were teenagers in the mid 2000s, when modern forum culture really emerged, had the academy idea ingrained in their minds mainly by Harry Potter but also with contributions from things like X-Men and several animuuu of the period. While most of these people grew out of those interests, a few remained and passed down the academy RP meme to the new generation of teenagers, and it went down the line to the present day.

I think you're pretty close with both of those ideas; those sorts of games can be summed up as "shitty anime tropes: the game" and since every anime ever made is set in a highschool... I think a lot of those players are pretty young as well, and that doesn't help the quality.

I'unno, I run into folks pretty often that are aware enough to realize that life outside of school is broadly speaking comparatively shit -- they've seen their parents, they know the folks that dropped out or went straight into the workforce, etc. More stressors, less free time, no significant uptick it cohort maturity (including your own, but now you get to play charades that it's different :V), shortly in the future a body that's breaking down instead of building up. They don't so much dream of life outside school as dread it. Some idealize it, I guess, especially when much younger, but some days it seems like it's less than you'd think.
Childhood is terrible.
Adulthood is also terrible.

Everything is terrible.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87568 on: October 12, 2015, 03:00:03 pm »

Could anyone enlighten me as to why that particular game was so terribad? I mean, it's certainly not the kinda thing I would play, but isn't it easy enough to ignore? Unless there was ooc drama that spilled over, then yeah, I could see the problem.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #87569 on: October 12, 2015, 03:03:36 pm »

Could anyone enlighten me as to why that particular game was so terribad? I mean, it's certainly not the kinda thing I would play, but isn't it easy enough to ignore? Unless there was ooc drama that spilled over, then yeah, I could see the problem.
Mmm. It was mostly stuff that happened in-game.
Elf should probably explain it tho, since he actually participated.
Pages: 1 ... 5836 5837 [5838] 5839 5840 ... 11037