Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5822 5823 [5824] 5825 5826 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471305 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87345 on: October 08, 2015, 12:12:27 am »

already done and i now have a working GUI for the main dwarf mode viewscreen that allows you to click a button to begin mining

but having it activated ties the game logic to your graphics framerate instead of the other way around

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:28:52 am by Putnam »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #87346 on: October 08, 2015, 12:31:01 am »

so...what exactly does that mean?
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87347 on: October 08, 2015, 12:34:47 am »

Dwarf Fortress normally asynchronously does game logic and rendering/input; the FPS is game logic speed and GFPS is rendering/input. When this mouse viewscreen is up, it runs at a rate of ceil(fps/gfps) ticks per frame instead of them being indepenent, so in that case ceil(99/49)==2 ticks per frame. It ties your game logic to your framerate, basically (HISS)

the mod itself is the one thing i've seen whiners complain about the most (lack of mouse support) so i'll either make mouse support for them or show them just how fucked it can be even WITH mouse support heh

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87348 on: October 08, 2015, 12:43:47 am »

On the starwars note: the lore as I understood it is that blasters fire a plasma bolt generated by shining a focused laser beam through tibanna gas. The strength of the laser matters, apparently, as does the composition of the gas, probably some other shit. The lasers job is to excite the gas such that it exits the barrel as superheated plasma and wrecks someones shit before dispersing again. What this means, though, is that you have to get the gas into the weapon. The cartridge is probably both a compressed gas container and battery with enough life to fire that gas until exhausted and like, charge a battery in the weapon itself just to top that one off if there are other electronics. Or at least, that would be how I designed such a system. Having to keep track of batteries and gas canisters separately when you have to change them both regularly would be a pain in the ass.

Now we can all just point fingers and laugh at the guys who designed the sterling SMG, and the new hope production crew for using such a silly thing.

And EA for, more likely than not, making another shitty FPS game sequel and throwing out mandatory dlc that will cost as much as the game itself and add jack shit. YOU KNOW THEYLL DO IT.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87349 on: October 08, 2015, 01:09:19 am »

So I am watching the conclusion to the Storm Hawks but ignore that fact for a moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This has to be one of the laziest endings I have seen in my life.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:11:46 am by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87350 on: October 08, 2015, 01:50:33 am »

Saw a video of the new battlefront beta.  Player was on the stormtrooper team.  His blaster had what very much looked like a side mounted magazine, but the game has no reload mechanic that I'm aware of.  This bothered me way more than it should have.
Seriously though, it pissed me off.  I kept anticipating the quick FPS "pull clip away and shove in a new one near instantly", like I could see the reload animation playing in my head, but it never happened.

You do realize that EA didn't design the weapons, right?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So if you're looking for someone to blame, blame the New Hope film crew for using real guns as the base for their prop guns. Most of the infantry weapons have similar appearances (at least in the original trilogy) because pretty much everything was a different conversion of the Sterling. A few that weren't: Leia's pistol was a Vostok Margolin .22LR target pistol with cosmetic changes to the muzzle, a couple of the heavy blasters were based on the MG34 and MG15, the Ion Blaster was a heavily cut down Lee Enfield, stuff like that.
Dammit, I was just coming here to post that.

On the starwars note: the lore as I understood it is that blasters fire a plasma bolt generated by shining a focused laser beam through tibanna gas. The strength of the laser matters, apparently, as does the composition of the gas, probably some other shit. The lasers job is to excite the gas such that it exits the barrel as superheated plasma and wrecks someones shit before dispersing again. What this means, though, is that you have to get the gas into the weapon. The cartridge is probably both a compressed gas container and battery with enough life to fire that gas until exhausted and like, charge a battery in the weapon itself just to top that one off if there are other electronics. Or at least, that would be how I designed such a system. Having to keep track of batteries and gas canisters separately when you have to change them both regularly would be a pain in the ass.
According to the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology, weapons often held enough gas for several power cells' worth of shots. Only a small amount is actually needed per bolt, and keeping spare canisters of gas on hand would only really come into play in longer engagements. The pistols used by the Tantive IV's crew, for instance, could get 500 bolts per gas charge while only getting 100 bolts per power cell.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #87351 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:48 am »

Look at all the people who are still in denial about the extended universe getting axed :P  Although... I guess if it was published in one of the supplemental reference books things it might still be canon, its just silly and irrelevant because Star Wars has never been even a tiny bit about how the technology works.  And plus who gives a shit what's in some book .05% of the fanbase has read, its the actual movies that count.  Lord knows if the writers in the new movie(s) want to contradict supplemental materials they not only will, but they won't even realize they're doing it.

Anyway, I went back and watched Battlefront 2 gameplay and it... has that too.  But for some reason the presence of clips didn't bother me in that game?  I think its because the way the gun is animated in the new one draws much more attention to it; it takes up more of the screen, it moves around constantly as you walk or shoot, and it gets pulled up when you scope in.  Also, the old one did have reload animations, but they were used as idle animations.  So the old game still addressed the logical flaw whereas the new one does not.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #87352 on: October 08, 2015, 03:03:06 am »

Star Wars has never been even a tiny bit about how the technology works. 

What are you talking about? Midichlorians was the best part of the original trilogies.
Love, scriver~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87353 on: October 08, 2015, 03:13:01 am »

Nah, my favorite part was their deep exploration of what a romance would be like between two people who age at different rates.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87354 on: October 08, 2015, 05:00:21 am »

Nah, my favorite part was their deep exploration of what a romance would be like between two people who age at different rates.
Anakin in his mid thirties
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87355 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:07 am »

Star Wars has never been even a tiny bit about how the technology works. 

What are you talking about? Midichlorians was the best part of the original trilogies.

Don't ever mention the 'M' word. >:V
* Ultimuh slaps Scriver across his hands with a ruler.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87356 on: October 08, 2015, 05:10:18 am »

Different rates? I simply thought that Padamè was just a pedophile.

If I remember correctly, though, Padamè was only sixteen in The Phantom Menace.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87357 on: October 08, 2015, 05:18:30 am »

In episode 1, she was canonically 14

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87358 on: October 08, 2015, 11:13:31 am »

I was going to dust off my EA account and try out the Battlefront beta, but EA won't send me my recovery password. I guess that means I'm saved from having to install Origin, due to circumstances beyond my control.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87359 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

Origin is literally the reason I haven't finished the ME trilogy, that and all the annoying things I've heard about 3, especially the bungled Tali reveal.  Like... I got 2 on sale from steam, why would I go out of my way to download software I don't like to get a game that is probably just going to make me feel worse about the story?
Pages: 1 ... 5822 5823 [5824] 5825 5826 ... 11037