Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5801 5802 [5803] 5804 5805 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467876 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87030 on: October 02, 2015, 06:41:05 pm »

The irony is staggering.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87031 on: October 02, 2015, 06:43:01 pm »

Resident Evil 2 is much scarier than I remember it being. It's gotten me really good with some of the jumpscares, especially since I've forgotten most of them. Voice acting and controls aside, it does a pretty good job of keeping up the atmosphere and tension.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87032 on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:28 pm »

For me the camera angle stuff was always too much to find it anything but goofy. Something about seeing your controlled character run around from a fixed angle reminds me of those clips of drunk people breaking into liquor stores. Some of the early scenes with the crawling things are kind of scary, though.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87033 on: October 02, 2015, 07:00:25 pm »

-snip-
Dude, there's a lot less \forall quantifiers in that 4chan thing than in your post. No sane person would propose that baggy pants are the sole reason for police shooting black people - hell, that's the first sentence - but it's certainly an interesting and not entirely implausible idea. Worth a look and a think at least. And if it turns out to be true, it would be a great example of cultural differences being misinterpreted with horrible results.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87034 on: October 03, 2015, 12:47:34 am »

Shitposting is making posts of deliberately no actual value, mostly to get cheap reactions out of other people. Hence they are shit posts.
However, as with all other pejorative content-related insults, the descriptive meaning is "something someone said that I don't like."  :P

-snip-
Dude, there's a lot less \forall quantifiers in that 4chan thing than in your post. No sane person would propose that baggy pants are the sole reason for police shooting black people - hell, that's the first sentence - but it's certainly an interesting and not entirely implausible idea. Worth a look and a think at least. And if it turns out to be true, it would be a great example of cultural differences being misinterpreted with horrible results.
I mean, it makes sense. Ever tried to move quickly in baggy pants without a belt? You gotta hold those fuckers up! Notice how people tend to get shot by cops when they pull out cellphones, wallets, &c.? Exact same sort of motion! The kneejerk "das raycist" is... exactly that. I sincerely doubt anyone would be crying racist if someone asserted that relatively few suburban white girls get shot by cops because they don't have any pants to pull up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #87035 on: October 03, 2015, 01:24:16 am »

The kneejerk "das raycist" is... exactly that. I sincerely doubt anyone would be crying racist if someone asserted that relatively few suburban white girls get shot by cops because they don't have any pants to pull up.
Ignoring any actual content... that's not how you reverse statements.  The slashed-through statement says the exact same thing as the racist statement, just in negative terms.  Its akin to the difference between "I'm richer than you because I worked for it" and "you're poor because you didn't do work."  They aren't opposite statements at all.

So really anyone that thinks the first statement is racist would by definition think the second statement is racist as well since they both say the same thing about black people, the second one just throws in some "white girls are acceptable targets" for good measure.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #87036 on: October 03, 2015, 03:47:03 am »

I'm struggling to see the racism in the baggy pants thing.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #87037 on: October 03, 2015, 04:32:48 am »

The racism is not in the baggy pants thing itself but in how it dismisses real systematic racism which results in lots of deaths and injuries every year.
Love, scriver~

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #87038 on: October 03, 2015, 04:45:14 am »

The racism is not in the baggy pants thing itself but in how it dismisses real systematic racism which results in lots of deaths and injuries every year.
It said in the first paragraph that systemic racism was a massive problem.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87039 on: October 03, 2015, 04:48:28 am »

Then that many of the police shootings may be due not to racism but to slightly different choices of trousers.

The word "trivialisation" is much bandied about these days, but in this case...
One wheel short of a wagon

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #87040 on: October 03, 2015, 05:00:38 am »

Then that many of the police shootings may be due not to racism but to slightly different choices of trousers.

Well, no, the direct quote would be 'I wonder how many fucking BELTS would save lives, I reckon at least a few people would have better results here.'
He said a few, which could very well be true out of the many, many shootings.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87041 on: October 03, 2015, 05:14:45 am »

It's truly astonishing that people can't grasp the concept of multiple causes contributing to the same effect, or that different things can have differing levels of impact.

Like, say:
1. "War is caused by greed--desire for territory, resources, &c.."
2. "Well, there can also be ideological motivations to go to war. Sometimes there might be nationalistic sentiment at work, or old grudges from prior conflicts."
3. "NO IT IS ONLY GREED YOU JUST SAID IT WASN'T GREED."

Or...
1. "Cars are more likely to crash if the driver is inexperienced."
2. "What about if they're drunk?"
3. "OMG HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS AREN'T THE REASON THAT CARS CRASH!"

That's what it sounds like, slightly dramatized. I mean, reading comprehension, people. The anon was pretty clearly saying, "Hey, systemic racism's definitely a big factor in police shootings, but what if misinterpreted actions re: pulling up baggy pants while running/'HE'S GOT A WEAPON' also plays a role," and then people are completely misrepresenting what was said because... reasons?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87042 on: October 03, 2015, 05:36:21 am »

It's truly astonishing that people can't grasp the concept of multiple causes contributing to the same effect, or that different things can have differing levels of impact.

Like, say:
1. "War is caused by greed--desire for territory, resources, &c.."
2. "Well, there can also be ideological motivations to go to war. Sometimes there might be nationalistic sentiment at work, or old grudges from prior conflicts."
3. "NO IT IS ONLY GREED YOU JUST SAID IT WASN'T GREED."

Or...
1. "Cars are more likely to crash if the driver is inexperienced."
2. "What about if they're drunk?"
3. "OMG HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS AREN'T THE REASON THAT CARS CRASH!"

That's what it sounds like, slightly dramatized. I mean, reading comprehension, people. The anon was pretty clearly saying, "Hey, systemic racism's definitely a big factor in police shootings, but what if misinterpreted actions re: pulling up baggy pants while running/'HE'S GOT A WEAPON' also plays a role," and then people are completely misrepresenting what was said because... reasons?
Reasons are much like the highlander.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #87043 on: October 03, 2015, 07:11:24 am »

To add to that FD, there's also a thing where if you disagree with someone they assume you agree with what they view as the opposing viewpoint, even if there is no dichotomy

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #87044 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:19 am »

Well, no, the direct quote would be 'I wonder how many fucking BELTS would save lives, I reckon at least a few people would have better results here.'
He said a few, which could very well be true out of the many, many shootings.

And the sum of the post gives off wibes that is contrary to that statement, in my opinion. Gotta look at the forest and not just the trees and all that.

&c

Did you just shorten the shortening of etcetera? :P
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 5801 5802 [5803] 5804 5805 ... 11037