Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5727 5728 [5729] 5730 5731 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467694 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85920 on: September 17, 2015, 01:23:35 am »

I get where you're coming from but your approach is too close to censorship for me to really condone it.

I don't really want to doctor records or ban people from mentioning them or anything. That's going too far.

But any mention of these things, of 9/11 and Columbine, as significant should be either shouted down, met with irreverent sarcasm, or the conversation steered away from them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85921 on: September 17, 2015, 04:24:54 am »

That's called censorship Bo

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85922 on: September 17, 2015, 04:56:09 am »

[DATA EXPUNGED]
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85923 on: September 17, 2015, 05:14:10 am »

I remember a time where they'd have both. Good ol' fireworks, cherry bombs, etc., right in there with the nickel store candy.

E: Was it a good time? No. To hell with that time. The internet didn't even have pictures. Broadband didn't exist. That time can rot, and it can take its happy explosions and its penny candy and its leaded gasoline with it.
I lament that I was never able to save enough pocket money before I could buy the big red one from gunpowder merchants back when it was still legal, and they were still in business

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85924 on: September 17, 2015, 05:42:14 am »

Also, completely forgetting about the statistical outlier of the Holocaust is not exactly a great idea.

ftfy
Sorry for the Godwin, but this ought to make clear where your mistake is.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85925 on: September 17, 2015, 08:44:49 am »

That's called censorship Bo

Censorship is saying thay can't say it. Shouting them down is they can say it and do say it but you drown it out with loud accusationsnof them being uninformed and a moron.

Also, completely forgetting about the statistical outlier of the Holocaust is not exactly a great idea.

ftfy
Ftfy Sorry for the Godwin, but this ought to make clear where your mistake is.

Is that inherently worse than the way we've already forgotten Armenia amd Rawanda?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:47:35 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85926 on: September 17, 2015, 08:47:21 am »

It is a mistake, but on the other hand, from that direction the equivalent response would be to round up all jews and/or other minorities and put them in walled, prison-like compounds for their own protection, monitoring them at all times and being sure to strip away as many rights from them as feasible. I'm sure we can call them something appropriate... equality camps or something, I'unno.

... which would also be a mistake, one that elevating school shootings to the position they're in in the US has caused. Many of our schools are now literally designed by people who build prisons, and even when they're not much of the student population is treated either almost or exactly like convicts. Doesn't really seem to have helped that much, though. Go figure.

... and no, if you're shouting them down to the point no one can hear what they're saying, you're definitely censoring them. That is exactly like bleeping out vulgarity on TV, right down to the mechanism.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85927 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:45 am »

Many of our schools are now literally designed by people who build prisons

In all fairness that is just being an architect and I am sure that people who have designed military bases have designed hospitals... The fact that schools are designed "Like" prisons on the other hand has been a piece of social commentary people have been observing for a while.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85928 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:40 am »

I get where you're coming from but your approach is too close to censorship for me to really condone it.

I don't really want to doctor records or ban people from mentioning them or anything. That's going too far.

But any mention of these things, of 9/11 and Columbine, as significant should be either shouted down, met with irreverent sarcasm, or the conversation steered away from them.

I agree there's a definitely circular logic there. People care because those tragedies had significant media exposure. There's nothing inherently more tragic about them that many other comparable tragedies. Those things became ingrained in people's heads because of the intense media focus, whereas there are tragedies of a greater scale that people would be completely meh reading about, because they didn't have the initial emotional reaction.

Also, highlighting specific tragedies that actually aren't particularly significant could play a part in downplaying the scale of the general problem, by implying these things are rare. Notable in the Columbine tragedy is the blame of basically everything except the widespread availability of firearms. The main things blamed were video games and wearing trenchcoats. Only ever highlighting a few extreme examples of shootings clouds the fact that on average there is one shooting involving at least 4 victims (dead and injured) roughly every day in America.

Sure, I guess I care about mass shootings in America more than tragedies in my home country ... because they never happen here. The last real crazy shooter guy in Australia was back in 1996.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:01:38 am by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85929 on: September 17, 2015, 09:00:05 am »

ftfy
Ftfy Sorry for the Godwin, but this ought to make clear where your mistake is.

Is that inherently worse than the way we've already forgotten Armenia amd Rawanda?
Yes, and I don't think I need to go into the details. Moreover Armenia and Rwanda haven't been forgotten either: Just a couple months ago there was a big hubbub here about how the German parliament should call out the Armenian genocide as just that - this is a big deal if most of your non-native population comes from Turkey. Rwanda is still very frequently cited as an example of pacifism and non-interventionism gone wrong.

Of course, by 'we' you could be referring to the US. Then I'd like to tell you: There is indeed sapient life beyond the oceans, and contrary to what you'd expect that life is generally not of the opinion that Eagleland is the navel of the world.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85930 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:39 am »

Of course, by 'we' you could be referring to the US. Then I'd like to tell you: There is indeed sapient life beyond the oceans, and contrary to what you'd expect that life is generally not of the opinion that Eagleland is the navel of the world.

+1. I was actually making a post to say this exact thing.

The Rwandan genocide has not been forgotten in Africa, I can tell you that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85931 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:02 am »

Obvoiusly they're not forgotten forgotten, but compared to the way the Holocaust is remembered they might as well be.

EDIT:
There's no Godwin's Law for Rawanda or the Ottoman Empire
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:31:59 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85932 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:44 am »

That's like saying Shakespeare has been forgotten because the bible is just so much more popular.
The Bay12 postcard club

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85933 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:23 am »

Obvoiusly they're not forgotten forgotten, but compared to the way the Holocaust is remembered they might as well be.

Only in America. And maybe in Europe. Here, you're likely to learn about them and the holocaust at the same time.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85934 on: September 17, 2015, 09:33:42 am »

ITT: Why circular logic is hilarious.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 5727 5728 [5729] 5730 5731 ... 11037