Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5718 5719 [5720] 5721 5722 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14467806 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85785 on: September 15, 2015, 09:11:51 pm »

Is why wait for clarification instead of making speculation! Or making speculation until something hits the right answer, I guess. Either/or. Maybe both.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85786 on: September 15, 2015, 09:14:00 pm »

I love how every time I start thinking Neonivek isn't as bad as he makes himself look, he quickly proves me wrong. It's not even a real question if you look at it, I don't even know where to begin to parse it and that's WITH following the self driving cars and internet of things stories for years.

I know I am the ancient evil of the Bay12 forums.

For the most part I don't put up with people's backhandedness or vague rudeness :P

People make threads all the time and splitting everything into millions of threads doesn't make it better. In the end all it serves is to stroke someone's ego because "They posted in the thread!"

I have a WTF and it leads to a question. I don't need another thread for this. I don't need to stroke people's egos.

Is why wait for clarification instead of making speculation! Or making speculation until something hits the right answer, I guess. Either/or. Maybe both.

There isn't much I can really say to make it more clear.

Why have all of a car's parts entirely handled by a computer... better then having it simply be electronic (without a computer, or at least a less sophisticated computer) or mechanical?

Why is having a car that you could remotely shut down... superior to one where that is impossible?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:16:58 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85787 on: September 15, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »

Both because it's better at all the car-y things besides that, and because being able to remotely shut down is occasionally useful. That's... really about it. Sophisticated computers are better at what they do, remote shut downs aren't a major issue and sometimes even helpful. It's not particularly complicated, heh. We wouldn't be doin' it if there wasn't a substantial advantage to make up for the (functionally negligible) risk.

Also, those were the words you say to make things clear, heh.

... also, that wasn't even remotely the reason GO started up the questions thread (which is over a hundred pages long at this point in default ppp, and far from just some splinter thread made for no reason), and I don't think most people actually think like that. Know I don't. The thread you were directed was made so people had a place to go ask questions that didn't belong in other threads. Like, uh. The one being proposed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:20:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85788 on: September 15, 2015, 09:17:40 pm »

Are you talking about the keyless cars? Our family has one so all I can say is its pure convenience.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85789 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:45 pm »

Both because it's better at all the car-y things besides that, and because being able to remotely shut down is occasionally useful. That's... really about it. Sophisticated computers are better at what they do, remote shut downs aren't a major issue and sometimes even helpful. It's not particularly complicated, heh. We wouldn't be doin' it if there wasn't a substantial advantage to make up for the (functionally negligible) risk.

I mean... what is the advantage?

Do computerized engines like... prevent catastrophic engine destruction? Adjust things according to how the other parts are working? What is the advantage beyond a vague "It just works"?

What does wireless internet hook up for a car engine provide it other then possible GPS locating incase being stolen?

I only have two ideas... One is that for rentals and mortgages they want to shut down the cars (and they do). For car repair the engine itself can signal what issues it is having.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:22:46 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85790 on: September 15, 2015, 09:22:30 pm »

The advantage is that it literally does everything better. Better engine management in all ways, better diagnostics, better fuel, power, everything management. Etc., so forth, so on. Yes, part of what they do is adjust based on what other parts are doing. They do a lot in newer cars.

You could get by with shittier computers in your vehicle, it would just run worse on all levels and, yes, have a greater risk of catastrophic failure (due to lack of or less sophisticated and effective failsafes).
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85791 on: September 15, 2015, 09:23:33 pm »

I guess the wireless is just convenience.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85792 on: September 15, 2015, 09:25:41 pm »

Also the theft, also for remote diagnostic in some of the particularly newer ones, also for phone call convenience, also for various direction hookups (ala GPS dictation). Some of 'em are rigged to call help when they detect catastrophic failure, ferex. They do a bunch of stuff, and will do more in the future.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85793 on: September 15, 2015, 09:28:12 pm »

Frankly the hacking isn't really what I am concerned about (it is more that the car companies are really dumb with their car security)... Especially since the "Hacked car" required the people to basically have full access to a car (something where a person USUALLY plants a bomb).

I just never got why it would be an advantage. Though having a better idea I am thankful for.

It just didn't make sense to me at the time how having a computer switch the gears of a car... versus... the mechanics of a car switching the gears could work (I mean I guess the car could prevent you from grinding the gears).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85794 on: September 15, 2015, 09:32:17 pm »

... it takes a computer to get the mechanics to do that. Unless you're talking manual vs automatic, in which case it's reached the point that, again, computers are just better at it. Also computers are still involved in making the manual cars work better these days, too! Boils down to strict machinery being incredibly limited and humans being not particular good at everything (which means that a specialized device, in this case a computer, will be able to do better).
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85795 on: September 15, 2015, 09:33:38 pm »

... it takes a computer to get the mechanics to do that. Unless you're talking manual vs automatic, in which case it's reached the point that, again, computers are just better at it. Also computers are still involved in making the manual cars work better these days, too! Boils down to strict machinery being incredibly limited and humans being not particular good at everything (which means that a specialized device, in this case a computer, will be able to do better).

I had no idea Automatic actually requires computers.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85796 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:27 pm »

... then yeah, your understanding of vehicles is pretty terrible. S'also not entirely required for it to be a sophisticated one, I don't believe, it's just that, again, more advanced computers are significantly better at it. Which is the whole point of using them.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85797 on: September 15, 2015, 09:43:48 pm »

... then yeah, your understanding of vehicles is pretty terrible.

Why thank you!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85798 on: September 15, 2015, 09:47:17 pm »

I used to think automatics all had continuous gears!  Even though you can hear the RPM changes, but the few automatics I saw were relatively quiet too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85799 on: September 15, 2015, 10:11:21 pm »

I used to know bugger all about cars. Incidentally, I still know bugger all about cars.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5718 5719 [5720] 5721 5722 ... 11037