Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5716 5717 [5718] 5719 5720 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14464811 times)

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85755 on: September 15, 2015, 07:20:32 pm »

and a thought occurred to me... Remember when having a game take place in Africa with Africans in it was considered racist?

Goodness what happened?

The complaint was more over the weird very tribal ones in the midgame pretty much depicted more like monsters. The initial complaints were just idiots, but there's very little real excuse for the bone nosed tribals in that section. Not that I honestly care, just I think this is what really happened. And yet despite all that, no one complained about the backwater Spanish stereotypes in RE4. Down to a castle filled with creepy monks once again depicted as far less outwardly human than the other variations.

And besides everyone is too busy being stupid over Quiet.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #85756 on: September 15, 2015, 07:22:52 pm »

There is a thread on /g/ (and has been regular threads for this on /g/, going by archive links) for "waifu-bot generals". Threads consist of people wanting android waifus, and general discussion on robot waifus. I'd say a better description for it would be "a humanoid companion robot possessing human-esque AI", although there are also anons looking for something as simple as a program to run on a phone, like a virtual buddy or "chatbot".

I'm not super surprised there's a demand for this. On the upside, it means my decision to try to major in artificial intelligence or robot stuff probably won't go to waste. Seems like an easily marketable product could be made to meet this demand.
I would want a android waifu. I am lacking in the shame department.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85757 on: September 15, 2015, 07:24:29 pm »

and a thought occurred to me... Remember when having a game take place in Africa with Africans in it was considered racist?

Goodness what happened?

The complaint was more over the weird very tribal ones in the midgame pretty much depicted more like monsters.

Ohh no the complaints existed way before people even knew the Tribal Africans even existed. It just gave them some leeway for legitimate complaints (SORT of...)

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #85758 on: September 15, 2015, 07:26:56 pm »

Yeah, and the original complaints were just over having a white guy shoot a bunch of black guys. Idiots. As has been said both in my post and others here.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85759 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:17 pm »

I think MGS has depicted Africa reasonably well, considering the time in which each african place depicted in the games during the time the events are supposed to take place. I mean, the whole setting of the game is wars and civil conflict. Its far more fair then most depictions of south america I've seen in most games, in which literally everything about south america is depicted as some undefined spanish speaking country with favelas and huge magical bits of rainforest which apparently exist everywhere ever, and thats about it.

MGS did go a bit ham fantasy with Nicaragua and the whole omggg ~la revolucion~ stuff, but its not really far from reality as far as south american drug fueled terrorism is concerned.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:31:13 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85760 on: September 15, 2015, 07:30:08 pm »

Nuthin' wrong with android waifus or husbandos, IMHO.

While we're sorta on that topic, did any of y'all happen to see that movie that came out last year about an AI waifu? I think it was called Her. Was it any good?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85761 on: September 15, 2015, 07:31:46 pm »

Quiet detracts from the game and Kojima's being a baby about it.  She isn't The End, she isn't Eva, she's just T&A sidekick 37C.  And for a supposed stealth expert, she sure gets the camera's attention.  I would be totally okay with this if the camera didn't keep forcing itself to her chesticles.  Or hell, if she *talked* instead of making doe-eyes at Snake like a good waifu.

The explanation is utter nonsense, made worse because Kojima said critics would "feel ashamed of your words & deeds." when we learned it.  Kojima, you like butts and tits!  THAT IS OKAY, just ADMIT IT

Meanwhile Ocelot is barely flirting with Snake for some reason.  My (canon) ship.  Why.  Actually screwit, crossposting this from the Happy Thread because it makes MGS5 better, and it's probably WTF material for most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87YXRvfMDlM
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85762 on: September 15, 2015, 07:33:23 pm »

Yeah, the typical 'Why have you gotta demonize this culture' gets shot down pretty quickly when they say 'That IS your culture'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85763 on: September 15, 2015, 07:33:54 pm »

ocelot literally had the captain kirk glow around snake during the prologue to MGS3

dude's always had a crush on him

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85764 on: September 15, 2015, 07:40:26 pm »

I didn't like Ocelot so much in Phantom Pain, since he didn't seem nearly as hammy or gun spinny as any other iteration, and he's not nearly as expressive as Miller. Its still Ocelot though, and its still better then LIQUID OCELOT in some ways.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #85765 on: September 15, 2015, 07:41:55 pm »

2d waifu best waifu
Virtual reality is another possibility. Or augmented reality. Some kind of google glass sorta headset that overlays your 2D animu waifu Clippy companion onto the 3d world.

While we're sorta on that topic, did any of y'all happen to see that movie that came out last year about an AI waifu? I think it was called Her. Was it any good?
Didn't see it. Skimming the wikipedia page for it. Seems like it covers all the points that makes the whole "ai companion" thing interesting, namely the AI's ability to learn and develop, as well as the psychological and philosophical questions that would arise from friendships/relationships with such aIs rather than people, and the possible outcome of creating a strong artificial intelligence that can learn and improve itself.

Sounds neat. I guess I'd watch it if it was playing in the same room I was in.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85766 on: September 15, 2015, 07:50:25 pm »

Heathens all of you!

Mecha waifu is best waifu.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85767 on: September 15, 2015, 07:55:20 pm »

I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:36:09 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85768 on: September 15, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »

morons
Okay. Idiocy all the way down, then.

2d waifu best waifu

Joe Biden agrees.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #85769 on: September 15, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »

Heathens all of you!

Mecha waifu is best waifu.
"Pilot-senpai, I need you inside of me to fight the giant space lizards."

Honestly, I also want an AI that I can chat with and pretend to care what I have to say when I want to talk to someone but don't want to deal with antisocial jerks.
An ai companion seems like something that probably most people wouldn't mind having. Aside from people who fear technology, I guess. The concept of a little digital helper (ala Siri or Cortana) that also has a distinctive personality and can empathize and handle social discourse with its user and others sounds too useful to refuse. More than a pet, but distinctly not a person, and a useful tool.

The idea of dveloping something like this is partly what got me to major in compsci and try for the AI and robotics fields.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 5716 5717 [5718] 5719 5720 ... 11040