Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5711 5712 [5713] 5714 5715 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462652 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85680 on: September 14, 2015, 06:09:38 pm »

So while 2d games were as good as they could have ever gotten during the SNES days in the 2d graphics aspect at least with the PS1 Era pretty much finalizing it.

nah, no way the SNES could handle street fighter 3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85681 on: September 14, 2015, 06:25:34 pm »

It's true that old games never *become* garbage, though.
It depends on which old games you're talking about. I know a couple of them old games that I would never replay again, because they were really bad.
That's not good games getting bad though, it's just kids being dumb. :P

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85682 on: September 14, 2015, 06:32:06 pm »

I had horrendous taste when I was younger. I liked a lot of really shitty games because I just... didn't realize they were bad, I guess.

I really don't know how that works, so that's my WTF at the moment.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #85683 on: September 14, 2015, 07:13:49 pm »

Your perception of quality likely just rose as you aged. I had something similar; I didn't have an actual portable games console for the first decade-ish of my life, and because of this, I positively loved the cheap little Game & Watch-esque toys fast food chains used to put into kids' meals.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85684 on: September 14, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »

So while 2d games were as good as they could have ever gotten during the SNES days in the 2d graphics aspect at least with the PS1 Era pretty much finalizing it.

In the SNES's defense, the CPS3 arcade board was a technical marvel. Sf3 still holds up fairly well today.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85685 on: September 14, 2015, 08:30:47 pm »

It could handle about a half dozen Street Fighter 2's though.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85686 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:06 pm »

Your perception of quality likely just rose as you aged. I had something similar; I didn't have an actual portable games console for the first decade-ish of my life, and because of this, I positively loved the cheap little Game & Watch-esque toys fast food chains used to put into kids' meals.

Yeah, sameish here. When I was growing up, my favourite game was Dungeon Lords, which actually won an award for one of the worst games ever[Although the same people also gave goddamn OBLIVION an award for one of the best games, IIRC, so take that with a grain of salt]. Not that it was necessarily BAD, just everything else was much much better once I'd played more games to compare it to. The other games I grew up playing, Wizardry and Nethack, are still fucking awesome though, so kid-me had decentish taste.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85687 on: September 14, 2015, 11:18:55 pm »

oblivion's really good dude

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85688 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:29 pm »

Says the resident Elder Scrolls fanboy :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85689 on: September 14, 2015, 11:55:07 pm »

* Arcvasti shrugs

I wasn't terribly impressed by it on my first play through, although I did finish the game and most of its quests. Had more fun with it on my second[I will admit, Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls game for playing a pure battle mage in.], but I have little to no wish to do a third. Like, it straddles this awkward gap in between Morrowind, with cool lore and all sorts of stuff that half-works in entertaining ways[Alchemy] and Skyrim, with a more generic setting and a bunch of more boringish stuff[No custom spells?] that is generally more balanced. And the levelling system was bloody stupid. Like, in Morrowind you gain power by knowing which areas to do to loot powerful non-levelled gear that just sort of lies around and grinding enough levels to not die once you have it. In Skyrim, you kill things and get more stuff in a slower and more linear progression. Most places won't kill you too often, especially on the harder difficulties, although there are exceptions. In Oblivion, its once again a mix of the two. You can't get very much powerful gear above your level and you have to know which quests to do at what times in order to not waste their levelled quest rewards. Its a decent game that I sort of like, but I wouldn't rate it amongst the BEST games because I prefer other games in the genre or series to it in most aspects and feel it lacks a certain replayability[One battlemage is much like another and stealth or warrior builds aren't handled as well in it]. Shivering Isles is an exception. I loved the hell out of that. Sheogorath best Daedric Prince.

^All of the above is for unmodded Elder Scrolls games. I don't play with mods, with the exception of patches and maybe a couple usability tweaks.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #85690 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:54 am »

My Oblivion guy was a catman vampire who made it his hobby to drink the blood of every single ruler in the land.  I discovered a lot of weird secrets about the castles there, including some hidden passages.  His quest was foiled by one lord who never slept, ever.  He was also a kleptomaniac.  Everywhere he went, all the silverware would vanish.  I mean ALL of it.

Sadly because I played both Oblivion and Skyrim as a thief first and a hero second, both my characters got weaker and weaker due to the autoscaling and having no combat skills until I had to stop playing because it took five minutes of kiting to kill a bandit.  At least in Oblivion it was somewhat challenging for my non min-maxed character to steal things, in Skyrim the lords are all ridiculously trusting.  Then again, it would be difficult to be a thief in a land where the peasantry respond to dragon attacks by pulling out knives and bum-rushing the scaly fuckers.  And win.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85691 on: September 15, 2015, 02:27:59 am »

yeah i will freely admit that oblivion is nigh unplayable without mods

it has the best gameplay mods in the series though

i mean mods are sort of an important part of games to me

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85692 on: September 15, 2015, 02:34:59 am »

A lot of games I play are worthless without mods. Minecraft is more of a platform for modding than a game at this point. :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85693 on: September 15, 2015, 02:43:41 am »

Minecraft is more of a platform for modding than a game at this point. :3

Same for me. Although I can't stand mods which overcomplicates basic crafting. (You know which mods I am talking about.)
However TerraFirmaCraft kind of is an exception, as long as I don't use other mods than TerraFirmaCraft.
And while I do like "magic" mods/modpacks, I tire of ThaumCraft's research and resource system. Why must things be that complicated??
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 02:45:30 am by Ultimuh »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85694 on: September 15, 2015, 02:47:00 am »

Why must things be that complicated??
I thought for a second I was on the wrong forum.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5711 5712 [5713] 5714 5715 ... 11040