Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5709 5710 [5711] 5712 5713 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461669 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85650 on: September 14, 2015, 10:29:19 am »

The original Unreal is kinda like that.  I actually still love the way it looks, but that's mostly nostalgia.
The musical score and translator logs are good though, and the gameplay is decent.  It's just not the visual masterpiece it was when it was released.  Of course, it also runs at 60fps on a non-supercomputer.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85651 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:36 am »

I find Dungeon Keeper I has aged rather badly. I've wanted to play through it a few times but the really close zoom, 2D sprites and mining by clicking each block individually are rather difficult annoyances to overcome having played Dungeon Keeper II.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85652 on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:09 am »

Oh man, I played Unreal Tournament quite a bit, but it has aged rather well IMO, the gameplay is still quite fun, but I do agree that the graphics were a major selling point for the original game.

Is it fair to say that King of Dragon Pass has aged well? I mean, the game only consists of multiple menus in which you pick different choices and sometimes input values, and the graphics are all hand drawn pictures. A modern player can just pick it up while reading some in game tips (and maybe having a few looks at the game's wiki). I have no modern equivalent in mind to compare it to.

Another game that I think is the original Thief. I mean, sure, the game had regular FPS controls which are still in use, but it was full of odd first person plataforming that made it infuriating at times. Seriously, the level design was great, but sometimes getting Garret to grab a ledge, climb a ladder or a rope was such an ordeal that it almost made me stop playing at times.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:40:34 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85653 on: September 14, 2015, 10:39:46 am »

It has to do aesthetics.

The early days of 3d never looked good but the idea of being able to see in 3-dimensions was intriguing and in many ways enhanced the games to a certain extent because you could get an idea of grandeur to a certain extent. 2d RPGs never really had a consistant scale with enemies suddenly becoming freeken GIANTS because they are suddenly against you.

But it never excuses the fact that ultimately it never looked very good... It was a compromise that early 3d games made.

So while 2d games were as good as they could have ever gotten during the SNES days in the 2d graphics aspect at least with the PS1 Era pretty much finalizing it.

3d still has a long way to go even now.

But there are plenty of 3d games, even early 3d games, that hold up now mostly because the graphics define them aesthetically and don't look that bad. I will actually defend that Mario 64 actually looks good to me, does it look blocky? yes but it works for it.

It is like the Ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast... it is every bit the "terrible 3d technology" of the era it came out... But they made it work.

Silent Hill for example was very cognoscente of the limitations of the hardware. The very limited draw distance was one of them... so what did they do? They made fog an actual element of the plot and horror. They turned what was a limitation into one of the game's selling points.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #85654 on: September 14, 2015, 10:40:11 am »

I find that the first few Fallout games (the ones prior to Fallout 3) have aged rather badly.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85655 on: September 14, 2015, 10:40:58 am »

I find that the first few Fallout games (the ones prior to Fallout 3) have aged rather badly.

Really? But they are still marvels of story telling and open ended gameplay that kick the ever loving crud out of even games today.

If anything the lack of games that compete make it even better everyday...

And the gameplay limitations weren't things you overlooked at the time because the two fallouts were released in the days where people started to understand RPG mechanics.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:42:58 am by Neonivek »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85656 on: September 14, 2015, 10:48:49 am »

YOU CAN DIE TO A RAT IN THE FIRST MINUTE OF THE GAME

Not even a giant one, either. Also the UI was horrible, it make DF look sleek and streamlined.
I haven't played FO2, though, so I can't comment on that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85657 on: September 14, 2015, 10:50:53 am »

Yeeeeea the UI on the first and second fallout games was kinda terrible. The made a point of using pre-rendered graphics on everything including the AI, which made it kinda hard to tell what was part of the graphics and what was the actual UI.

I could say the vampire the masquerade: bloodlines game aged badly, but it would prob be unfair to say this, since it was never even properly finished. The animations are jerky or just downright weird (~dat booty swag~), and its the only game I know in which the third person shooting sucks less than the first person shooting, and the melee combat isn't thaaaat great either (but not that bad). The game world is also kinda tiny.

One thing that always bugged me about that game is that, at one point in the game, if you made the right choices, you can get a sniper rifle, except you never actualy encounter a situation in which you can use it to your advantage, since the game environments are all rather compact, with the exception of a single, very forgetable boss fight.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85658 on: September 14, 2015, 11:14:44 am »

Oh man, I played Unreal Tournament quite a bit, but it has aged rather well IMO, the gameplay is still quite fun, but I do agree that the graphics were a major selling point for the original game.
It certainly aged well enough; I was able to find quite a few multiplayer servers a few years ago, with dozens and dozens of people playing it.

Graphics in UT99 are still amazing, though. There are lots of cool-looking effects in the engine (like mirrors and halos) that look really cool; sadly, I've only seen them in a few maps. The engine also makes large things look, well, large. It's hard to describe how exactly it does it, and it's probably just a weird artefact of rendering, but it makes the world feel really three-dimensional the way that Quake 3 never does.
._.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85659 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:07 pm »

Not even a giant one, either. Also the UI was horrible, it make DF look sleek and streamlined.
I haven't played FO2, though, so I can't comment on that.

Fallout 2 has an identical UI, pretty much, it's just packed a bit more content to put into it.

However, I'd say the UI of the first two Fallouts was definitely on the better end of RPGs from that era, particularly when compared to the gruesomely unintuitive Infinity Engine interface. Now that's something that's aged really badly.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85660 on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:02 pm »

What are you talking about? Fallout 1 is pretty easy. Once you're established, there's very little that can challenge you past the first hour or two.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #85661 on: September 14, 2015, 12:11:07 pm »

Infinity Engine, unintuitive? I must declare my disputing opinion!
Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85662 on: September 14, 2015, 12:29:50 pm »

A week ago, we were still in summer temperatures. I walk outside and... is that an autumn breeze?!

That said, an autumn breeze does feel nice.

Still angry, paycheck still has not arrived. Or my stepdad somebody stole it out of the mailbox. One or the other.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85663 on: September 14, 2015, 12:40:32 pm »

Yeah! Dark Souls sucks!

Ohh you were talking about Fallout :P

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85664 on: September 14, 2015, 12:45:43 pm »

Space invaders has aged well. In that I'll play a game made before I was born :P
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 5709 5710 [5711] 5712 5713 ... 11040