Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5661 5662 [5663] 5664 5665 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14444412 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84930 on: September 08, 2015, 11:33:33 am »

i have a dream, one of which the sanctity of marriage is restored by means of nobody getting a license ever

it's a decent idea
Actually not a bad idea. Religious significance of marriage has precisely 0 overlap with the legal mumbo jumbo anyway.

Yes! Exactly! Thank you!

In fact, why does the state care about marriage at all? Seriously, is there a reason to subsidize this anymore besides inertia? Having a tax break because of dependents I understand, but getting one just for being married doesn't really make sense to me.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84931 on: September 08, 2015, 11:36:33 am »

Married couples take up less space and resources and social services than two individuals.
It's not a subsidy because they're losing out, it's a subsidy to encourage behaviour.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84932 on: September 08, 2015, 11:38:24 am »

Civil unions = tax benefits anyway yeah?
Depends a lot on the area. In many places in the US (and presumably elsewhere) civil unions don't entail the same suite of benefits (which go beyond tax benefits fairly substantially*) that marriage does.

@Baffler: The real reason the state gives tax breaks for filing jointly honestly has jack-all to do with dependents (though that's one of the nicer smokescreens involved) or various administrative benefits. It has to do with a lovely little thing called "joint and several liability", which means if your partner screws with the IRS, the IRS can come after your arse. They take a little less from the pair in exchange for being notably more likely to get some out if one of the two decide to try to stiff the state. There's some social engineering going on, too, but that's the major practical reason. Somewhat less return, notably increased reliability.

*The legal perks of marriage extend to all sorts of things, from the taxes, to inheritance and property ownership differences, hospital visitation, sometimes ruddy credit issues, there's just this fairly massive list, and one that comes with some pretty major tradeoffs, too (i.e. if you file jointly on your taxes and your partner screws up their side of things, the state can come after you to pay, just as one of very many examples). Is one of the reasons I occasionally advise someone to talk to a lawyer before they talk to a priest (/county official). State-recognized marriage is a hell of a legal step. Civil unions often don't entail many of the same legal repercussions.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:41:02 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #84933 on: September 08, 2015, 11:42:31 am »

@Tack, the complicated rituals thing is fairly common as explanations go.
Which one?

Also I thought DnD spell prep was just memorising it for the day, because for some reason spells burn themselves out of your memory after casting.

I think it was in first and possibly second edition, but at least as earlier as third edition is was the complicated rituals thing. They probably realized how stupid the other explanation sounded

Married couples take up less space and resources and social services than two individuals.
It's not a subsidy because they're losing out, it's a subsidy to encourage behaviour.

Well, gay married couples do at any rate. Straight couples tend to have children and therefore use considerably more resources.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:44:40 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84934 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:58 am »

Deus Ex: Invisible War actually runs as two applications in tandem, one which does the menus and one which actually plays the game. This is bizarre enough, but the application launches a background service that will re-open the game if it detects that both of the main executables have been closed in an unusual manner.

Even if you kill it through "End Process Tree"?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84935 on: September 08, 2015, 01:11:23 pm »

DO NOT go to google images and search for "krokodil". Dutch people will think it's just a crocodile, BUT YOU WILL REGRET IT.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #84936 on: September 08, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »

Sorry latias, everybody already knows about krokodil.
Love, scriver~

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84937 on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:15 pm »

That f*cked up Russian drug for addicts that don't have the money for heroine, right? That makes you sick in a slightly different way from heroine withdrawal...

Ninja'd, but yep. Poor dutch people.
One wheel short of a wagon

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84938 on: September 08, 2015, 01:35:33 pm »

Sigg'd
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #84939 on: September 08, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »

That f*cked up Russian drug for addicts that don't have the money for heroine, right? That makes you sick in a slightly different way from heroine withdrawal...

Ninja'd, but yep. Poor dutch people.
It's not even a problem with the drug. In itself, it's pretty much on par with all related morphine derivatives in terms of badness (which, of course, is a non-negligible amount of badness).

The problem is that it's done in such a reliable and professional way that the junkies are injecting themselves with such fun things like actual fuel and assorted horribly, horribly toxic junk on top of a drug.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84940 on: September 08, 2015, 02:01:14 pm »

Sigg'd
Why would you sig that?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84941 on: September 08, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »

It's actually not a separate thing from heroin, it's just gutter-quality and filled with toxic materials.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84942 on: September 08, 2015, 02:11:49 pm »

So that's what causes the skin thing? I didn't realise...
Oh, and of course poor, poor Russian drug addicts, I now feel guilty as my last post looks kinda heartless.

------------------------------

On a more cheerful note, and I'm not necroing the Toribash thread for this, I just fought a 10dan black belt ranked, being a blue belt, and as he didn't beat me too badly (I think this is why) my rank jumped up by 10. Noice :)
One wheel short of a wagon

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84943 on: September 08, 2015, 02:17:27 pm »

I always knew Lyndon LaRouche was kind of fringe...but holy fucking shit.

Good lord, why isn't this guy locked up in an asylum somewhere? He's clearly both paranoid schizophrenic and a danger to those around him.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84944 on: September 08, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »

He did serve 5 years out of a 15-year tax-evasion sentence, but no asylum yet. Because Murrka and Freeze Peach, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 5661 5662 [5663] 5664 5665 ... 11040