Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5659 5660 [5661] 5662 5663 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449202 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84900 on: September 07, 2015, 02:46:50 pm »

Technology is founded upon understanding the fundamental principles of why something works, then applying those principles in creative ways.

It is a bit weird in Discworld, though, how magic works slightly differently in every installment, and I've only even read the first 5 books.
1. I feel like the discovery of gunpowder was done not-this-way.
I actually worry about how rudimentary early engineering might have been.

2. I think it's been addressed earlier, same thread, but Pratchett's penchant for parody pretty much ensures that all of the different worlds of magic will have a turn at the egging bench.
I just cannot tell which amongst these is the "real" one..
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84901 on: September 07, 2015, 02:49:46 pm »

And funnily enough, each and every can actually be considered canon, because it's established in the first book that the gods can and have changed how magic works, so every time it works differently he can just say the gods were bored or something and decided to fuck with the mortals by changing how the magic works again.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84902 on: September 07, 2015, 03:12:49 pm »

Magic on the Disk is pretty arbitrary anyway. The magic of witches seems to be very different to the magic of wizards, and it's commented on.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84903 on: September 07, 2015, 03:18:58 pm »

Just because some things are doesn't mean they all are. That kind of world will be awash in superstition that isn't true as well. Look at how many different myths and creatures our world had and they don't even exist - people are going to think of gremlins behind every door and an elf in every pot.

So establishing what is true and not - how much if magic is actually ritual and mummery - could provide a base for that sort of logical thinking.

Eh. At the end of the day it's not really worth worrying about too much.

I could count the number of games that did it right on one hand (well on two fingers honestly)

Which is why it bugs me, honestly all games will flub a storyline once in a while.

But Magic Versus Technology is one that just consistently flubs over and over again. Probably because it is the most, what is the word? Pretentious. They rely entirely on the pretense of the theme and not enough on establishing the theme.

But for example of a game that does it right... Arcanum is one.

In Arcanum Magic basically alters physical laws to your benefit, while technology relies on using very specific physical laws. They, by their very nature, are at odds with one another. Since magic cannot exist where the physical laws are immutable, and technology cannot function where the physical laws are in flux.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 04:03:45 pm by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84904 on: September 07, 2015, 04:22:37 pm »

Magic on the Disk is pretty arbitrary anyway. The magic of witches seems to be very different to the magic of wizards, and it's commented on.
How many times do we actually see witches use magic, though? They're more like folklore priestesses.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84906 on: September 07, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »

I went to three thrift stores this weekend and all three were jam-packed.  That never happens.  Who decided that Labor Day weekend was the ideal time to scavenge for things?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84907 on: September 07, 2015, 06:56:37 pm »

I went to three thrift stores this weekend and all three were jam-packed.  That never happens.  Who decided that Labor Day weekend was the ideal time to scavenge for things?

Hell if I know, and I work at one.

...I am so tired from work right now...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84908 on: September 07, 2015, 07:29:25 pm »

My roommate's cat has become enamored with me. My door doesn't click shut, so she paws at it or pushes it open depending on if I've blocked it, and she sneaks in and tries to sit on my lap or just lounge around or something.

I hope it doesn't bother my roommate like it bothers my sinuses. This booger's not supposed to be in my room, but it's hard to push the cat away. Is this what cheating feels like?
Unless you have other cat in your life, its more like you NTR your friend.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #84909 on: September 07, 2015, 07:56:32 pm »

I love to NTR burritos. Nothings tastier than taking something someone once thought was safely theirs.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84910 on: September 07, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »

How many times do we actually see witches use magic, though? They're more like folklore priestesses.
Ok say what you like but I'm pretty sure headology is magic.
Probably borrowing, too.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84911 on: September 07, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »

I got the impression headology was better than magic.
Borrowing certainly is, though.  As are flying brooms, wards crackling with electricity, and fricken psi-blasts in one case.
And Granny's herb garden is suitably advanced to be indistinguishable from magic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84912 on: September 07, 2015, 10:36:48 pm »

I love to NTR burritos. Nothings tastier than taking something someone once thought was safely theirs.
especially when it's a hot meaty cylinder, amirite
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84913 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:00 am »

My roommate's cat has become enamored with me. My door doesn't click shut, so she paws at it or pushes it open depending on if I've blocked it, and she sneaks in and tries to sit on my lap or just lounge around or something.

I hope it doesn't bother my roommate like it bothers my sinuses. This booger's not supposed to be in my room, but it's hard to push the cat away. Is this what cheating feels like?
Unless you have other cat in your life, its more like you NTR your friend.
Top cuck.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84914 on: September 08, 2015, 02:04:50 am »

Someone called the Judge who is in prison for refusing to give marriage licences to homosexual couples for religious beliefs "A modern day Marten Luther King".
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 5659 5660 [5661] 5662 5663 ... 11040