Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5657 5658 [5659] 5660 5661 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446424 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84870 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:24 am »

My lower right wisdom tooth has worked its way through my gum and it kind of hurts. I could swear this has happened before though.
Why is this possible.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84871 on: September 07, 2015, 09:26:37 am »

Jared Leto as new joker: my wtf.

I mean, David Bowie as joker, yes, but why eyebrow-shaved David Bowie as joker? Like this I do not.
One wheel short of a wagon

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #84872 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:42 am »

My lower right wisdom tooth has worked its way through my gum and it kind of hurts. I could swear this has happened before though.
Why is this possible.
Maybe you're part-shark and regrow lost teeth. Do you go crazy at the taste of blood, maybe?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84873 on: September 07, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

Goodness

Honestly I am starting to want to beat up the first person to ever spout the term "Magic Versus Technology"

Since the more I see it, the more I notice that it relies ENTIRELY on connotations that take place entirely outside the setting and otherwise makes absolutely no sense.

Watching this "Total Annihilation Kingdoms" Letsplay and the Creon are basically all Into technology and HATE magic. Yet they constantly spout on and on about how they destroy superstition and use logic.

Yet... here is kind of the thing
1) Magic in this setting is not an unknowable force, nor one that is learned strictly through some form of spiritualism. It is usually learned through academic study.
and
2) It isn't SUPERSTITION when these things are REAL!!! Dragons, Centaurs, and Merfolk are real living beings you can see with your eyes... This shouldn't be that hard.

It forces this whole theme of magic versus technology but it never establishes anything solid for this to work. HECK the factions aren't even inherently magical anyhow (well except two), the game pretty strongly establishes that only the nobility really have access to magic and even then the majority of their armies aren't even magical. People don't cook food with spells in this setting.

And no they aren't meant to be hypocrites, I am not missing some theme. They really are supposed to be these bastions of logic and destroyers of superstition...
Yeah they're definitely using the wrong words for it, at the least.
It can be an interesting conflict depending on the actual situation, like people have pointed out...
In settings where magic is a natural science, people may still be afraid of wizards for their power.  In which case it's just fear of science and progress, with different flavor.  Possibly coupled with xenophobia when people feel that magical entities are dangerous and should be exterminated, despite being of our world.
In other settings magic is channeled from other planes/dimensions, and that's generally where the magical creatures come from.  In these cases the use of magic often "weakens the barrier" between the worlds, forming pathways for the energies and entities on the "other side".  Which makes it inherently unpredictable and a bit risky.  Less science, more bartering and crossed fingers.  Since almost inevitably these stories end up with "oops we pulled something too big" or "the planes are colliding now".  Though Final Fantasy 6 was a nice aversion, where the mysterious other plane was basically enslaved and used to fuel an industrial revolution on reliable "magitech" energy.

I guess DND mixes both types, a lot.  Arcane and druid spells tend more toward understanding and manipulating the natural energies of the material and elemental planes, while most divine magic is channeled from extraplanar entities with very strong agendas.  But arcane casters can certainly call and summon creatures from the aligned planes, some even specialize in it, so yeah.  Mix.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84874 on: September 07, 2015, 11:05:59 am »

Watching Piecewise get into an argument with Loud Whispers about martians...

:o

Which of them is being ironic? Which is trolling the other? How much of what they say do they care about?

It's like watching spambots from the future play chess.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84875 on: September 07, 2015, 11:15:16 am »

I've just heard someone say "only Americans play football", wtf is this bullshit
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #84876 on: September 07, 2015, 11:17:19 am »

Which of them is being ironic? Which is trolling the other? How much of what they say do they care about?

shitpost to e5
you sunk my checkmate

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84877 on: September 07, 2015, 11:18:07 am »

I've just heard someone say "only Americans play football", wtf is this bullshit
Yeah even if they're talking about handegg that doesn't quite work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84878 on: September 07, 2015, 11:38:43 am »

I think I've seen that... SMBC maybe?

Dresden files handles it by simply having the magic cause problems with technology. The smaller the parts required for something to function, the more magic messes it up.
Yeah, Lirael and Sabriel have the same principle.

However I know of other series which have magic being this illusive element which offers itself to whoever says "hocus pocus" in the right way with the right finger wiggles.

... Not sure where this segway'd from but now I'm hooked on it so I'm gonna speel some more.

I know of another series (cannot remember) which has mages do large and complicated rituals to make their effects happen, but the ritual can be paused indefinitely, so they do 99% of the ritual each morning or something and walk around with a bunch of willow sticks they can snap or flick or shout at etc so they can throw fireballs in a pinch.

Then there's the Tamora ones which have most of the more powerful mages pull the mana from the world around them to fuel their stuff, which never really gets explained or revisited, but there's some who can use words of power which create awesome miracles to happen there, and awful disasters to happen somewhere else on the globe.

Whilst Dresden has the necessity of the huge rituals and white robes and mystic circles alleviated by enough mental focus that you can just imagine all of that happening, down to exact timing and motions, and then binding said huge convoluted mental process to a keyphrase or something so that it can be recalled and used in battle.
Which, after revisiting all that, makes the raggedy lady sound Waay more hardcore.

Uh... Point being, in a fair few series I'd happily call magic a 'science'.
I guess it's in series like Magician where that comes apart, with one of Feist's biggest spellcasters in the universe being famous for the phrase "there is no magic. Just tricks".

Though yeah I think magic vs technology divide does work better if the magic of the period is "You Have The Blood Time To Make Fire".
Or, it could just be the natural animosity between those who devoted their life to eldrich runes and those who devoted their life to t' slidin' rule.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #84879 on: September 07, 2015, 11:53:22 am »

shitpost to e5
you sunk my checkmate
Have fun shitposting now, my submarmeme is still in.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84880 on: September 07, 2015, 11:55:49 am »

@Tack, the complicated rituals thing is... actually one of the major lines of explanation for vancian magic systems (i.e. D&D spell slots). S'fairly common as explanations go, from what I remember.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84881 on: September 07, 2015, 11:58:19 am »

So I'm in freaking gridlock in Michigan's UP, some genuine decided today was the perfect day for a bridge walk over the mackinac, also police checkpoints!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84882 on: September 07, 2015, 12:01:48 pm »

... having done some googling to decipher what the zog you were saying, isn't today always the day they have the mackinac bridge walk up there? First day of september, walk's an annual thing on labor day. Been going on since 1958. Over fifty years.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84883 on: September 07, 2015, 12:09:10 pm »

Your logic is not welcome here.

@Tack, the complicated rituals thing is fairly common as explanations go.
Which one?

Also I thought DnD spell prep was just memorising it for the day, because for some reason spells burn themselves out of your memory after casting.
... Which explains a lot about old wizards being crazy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84884 on: September 07, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »

The 99% then flick one. The burn out of memory bit is one of the other major explanations behind vancian magic systems :V
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 5657 5658 [5659] 5660 5661 ... 11040