Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5640 5641 [5642] 5643 5644 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463055 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84615 on: September 04, 2015, 12:48:45 am »

A password is pretty much mandatory for a wi-fi network so why does she have your company's service without one already taped below the router unless she disabled it on her own? Doing that takes some level of tech savy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #84616 on: September 04, 2015, 12:51:31 am »

Like her tech savy neighbor who wants to download the entire internet on her dime? :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #84617 on: September 04, 2015, 12:54:35 am »

Computing skills need to be a mandatory subject in school.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84618 on: September 04, 2015, 12:58:03 am »

From what I can determine, her neighbor removed it when he offered to 'help her out'.  Unless frumple is right, in which case she knew exactly what she was doing.

That said the default security setting isn't exactly the highest security.   Some of the oldest equipment still defaults to WEP, which these days is equivalent to sticking a post it note to it with the words "Please don't steal me."  The newest ones are a bit better, but still use a mix that includes an old outdated security.  They also all have WPS buttons on them, which a customer will almost certainly push out of curiosity eventually which can open up another big security hole.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #84619 on: September 04, 2015, 12:59:09 am »

Computer skills classes were mandatory in both the highschools I attended, even fairly good compared to the horror stories you guys dream up. Unfortunately, all the edumacationing in the world can't cure stupid. Ignorance, maybe, but stupid is incurable.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #84620 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:07 am »

Computing skills need to be a mandatory subject in school.
Not only that, they need to be a mandatory subject for adults to learn. Computer illiteracy is more common among the older generations, after all.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84621 on: September 04, 2015, 01:04:49 am »

Not only that, they need to be a mandatory subject for adults to learn. Computer illiteracy is more common among the older generations, after all.
Computers are too complicated and changing too fast for current required academic courses (in USA) to ever be able to handle in a way that makes the effort worth it.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84622 on: September 04, 2015, 01:16:20 am »

Computers are too complicated and changing too fast for current required academic courses (in USA) to ever be able to handle in a way that makes the effort worth it.

I honestly don't think that is true. It is just that the way that we teach computer courses are inherently flawed because they rely on ancient textbooks, programs, and what have you.

Mostly it is because it is the computer illiterate teaching the computer illiterate.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84623 on: September 04, 2015, 01:47:57 am »

I honestly don't think that is true. It is just that the way that we teach computer courses are inherently flawed because they rely on ancient textbooks, programs, and what have you.
I don't have the imagination to think of another method of teaching it that won't rocket education fees throughout the USA.

Mostly it is because it is the computer illiterate teaching the computer illiterate.
And this is why. If the computer illiterate are the teachers and all of them need to learn a whole new subject in addition to all the faculty BS they are mandated to be proficient in I think the teaching will suffer horribly(solving nothing).

So either the method needs to be changed so the illiterate can teach proficiency(a silly idea with all of the changes between OS which also change over time) or a teacher with that exact specialization is required to teach proficiency. A teacher with that exact skill set required all over America in addition to all the other teachers already required.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #84624 on: September 04, 2015, 02:40:16 am »

Honestly I think this is just gonna end up being a problem we're gonna have to deal with for about... oh... another 40 years or so. At that point a significant portion of the older people who are less computer literate will have either retired or died, at which point by default all of our teachers will become more computer literate, therefore leading to an increasing feedback loop where each group of teachers and students is more computer literate than the last (Assuming we haven't collapsed society by then and are all too busy fighting to rule Bartertown to learn about computers :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84625 on: September 04, 2015, 02:55:34 am »

Google said you would no longer need a Google+ account to comment on youtube, but every time I go to comment it tells me to set up a channel which comes with a Google+ account. WTF you lie Google!?! What you said and what you did are 2 completely fucking different things!
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84626 on: September 04, 2015, 02:56:59 am »

Huh, it stopped bugging me about that a few months ago.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84627 on: September 04, 2015, 03:08:12 am »

Huh, it stopped bugging me about that a few months ago.
They've definitely decoupled posting to Youtube posting to both.

Support says
"You'll soon be able to comment, upload, and create channels without Google+."
The blogpost 5wks ago
"In the coming weeks, YouTube will no longer require a Google+ profile when you want to upload, comment, or create a channel"
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84628 on: September 04, 2015, 04:28:57 am »

holy shit how do so many people think that a bunch of guitar hero videos are fake

like oh my god it's five buttons

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #84629 on: September 04, 2015, 04:39:10 am »

Links pls?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.