Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5639 5640 [5641] 5642 5643 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461379 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84600 on: September 03, 2015, 09:23:09 pm »

Relevant wtf: I am in Germany right now, and apparently, they have a "children's beer", a type of beer designed for the younger market with green and red fruit flavouring and colouring to get kids to drink it, which none of the adults like, presumably as it has way too much sugar in it.
'Children' is the wrong word here, methinks. 'Teenagers' is more like it: Those who are too young for liquor, too young for a properly refined taste; those who just want to get shitfaced and do not yet have the tolerance to make such an endeavor unfeasible with just beer.

Yeah, those drinks are shit, but causing a moral panic over them is completely unnecessary. The kids will grow out of that phase eventually.

Quote from: Most of Bay12
BUT ALCOHOL IS TEH EVULS!!!11!! >:( >:( >:(

My school bought a restaurant style electronic billboard to advertise themselves.

They canceled the senior trip for lack of funds.
...Jeez.
I guess, maybe they've been making a loss for some time and the billboard was a last-ditch effort to try and pull themselves out of the slump, but still... are you a senior?
Yup.

This is on top of the whole "secure" password shenanigans I posted about earlier.
You mean the "unsecure" password shenanigans.
But seriously.  I want to facepalm your school's administration.
Apply my palm.
To their faces.
;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #84601 on: September 03, 2015, 09:24:15 pm »

Relevant wtf: I am in Germany right now, and apparently, they have a "children's beer", a type of beer designed for the younger market with green and red fruit flavouring and colouring to get kids to drink it, which none of the adults like, presumably as it has way too much sugar in it.
'Children' is the wrong word here, methinks. 'Teenagers' is more like it: Those who are too young for liquor, too young for a properly refined taste; those who just want to get shitfaced and do not yet have the tolerance to make such an endeavor unfeasible with just beer.

Yeah, those drinks are shit, but causing a moral panic over them is completely unnecessary. The kids will grow out of that phase eventually.

Quote from: Most of Bay12
BUT ALCOHOL IS TEH EVULS!!!11!! >:( >:( >:(

My school bought a restaurant style electronic billboard to advertise themselves.

They canceled the senior trip for lack of funds.
...Jeez.
I guess, maybe they've been making a loss for some time and the billboard was a last-ditch effort to try and pull themselves out of the slump, but still... are you a senior?
Yup.

This is on top of the whole "secure" password shenanigans I posted about earlier.
You mean the "unsecure" password shenanigans.
But seriously.  I want to facepalm your school's administration.
Apply my palm.
To their faces.
;P

I want to facepalm them too.

With a brick.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84602 on: September 03, 2015, 09:25:42 pm »

I want to face palm them.

With a palm.  Tree.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84603 on: September 03, 2015, 09:26:17 pm »

Seriously, that school.  Terrible.
Deserves to be told off officially.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #84604 on: September 03, 2015, 09:44:22 pm »

To be fair the majority of school funds can only be used in one way or another and aren't "transferrable" to a different thing. They might have millions of dollars for new construction money to spend, but they aren't legally allowed to use that for say, field trips or teacher salary if they don't want to do any new construction.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84605 on: September 03, 2015, 10:06:30 pm »

My university web class made no effort to tell anyone that there were assignments or that it had started until about sixteen hours before the first four assignments/readings/discussions were due.

"Oh, hi, welcome, by the way, don't forget to do these. And this. And that too. Also this. By the time I'm telling you this, it's too late to go to the bookstore to get the book you need for the discussion on the first chapter. You did listen to these songs, right?"

You'd think an online course would be a little bit better about emailing about this stuff or something. I'm mostly at fault for not paying closer attention to it, I'm sure, but.
Yeah seriously.
Bit much.
Sigtext

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84606 on: September 03, 2015, 10:20:55 pm »

To be fair the majority of school funds can only be used in one way or another and aren't "transferrable" to a different thing. They might have millions of dollars for new construction money to spend, but they aren't legally allowed to use that for say, field trips or teacher salary if they don't want to do any new construction.
They could have gone with any of the other construction options that don't make the place look like it is selling pizzas or lap dances, though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #84607 on: September 03, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »

They could have gone with any of the other construction options that don't make the place look like it is selling pizzas or lap dances, though.
That on the other hand has no excuse other than that the majority of administrators are often "people-focused" people and thus have no right to be designing (or approving designs for) a building. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84608 on: September 03, 2015, 11:46:04 pm »

Though admittedly there was that one time where there were about 4 LWs and LSP is strikingly similar 3me

hey horsecock grande, i don't attend irc and if someone claims to be me tell them to fuck off

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84609 on: September 04, 2015, 12:06:27 am »

... maybe they have an exotic dancing degree path? I think some colleges offer something like that. And there's good odds that they have a culinary program, so, uh. They may actually be more or less selling pizzas and lap pole dances.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84610 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:28 am »

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84611 on: September 04, 2015, 12:15:42 am »

... y'know, she could have not been falling for it. Her and neighbor in cahoots, seeing if they can set the grounds for a lawsuit or somethin'. Maybe there wasn't a concerned neighbor to begin with. Hell, if that refund included parts of the month or whatev' she had already used, she just made some bank.

Alternately, there's still plenty of people, some of them young, that don't really have more than a skin-deep (if that) understanding of the whole computer thing. Between that and the fact that some folks are just natural victims for your average confidence artist, and you've got scenarios like you dealt with. It happens more than you'd want to think it would :-\

E: Also color me mildly curious what neighbor was doing with 50 gigs/day throughput. Don't suppose that kind of suspicious activity is enough reason for your company to do some checking, is it?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:18:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84612 on: September 04, 2015, 12:25:46 am »

Hm, I didn't actually consiter that first point, that could actually be it.  In that case we're the ones being played for fools.   

Though I recall from the previous notes it did seem like she spent a very long time on the phone with us.  I don't remember how long it went back but it was more than 1 page of call notes which is pretty unusual even for recurring problems.  If she was scamming us I would think she would be spending less time on the phone with us and more time enjoying free 105mb/s internet.

@E: They probably do.  But it's neither me nor my sup's department.  The only indication I ever get of suspicious activity is a flag that pops up on my screen telling me to transfer the caller to security after the call.  So that kind of investigation clearly happens, but I know nothing of it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:30:58 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84613 on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:51 am »

Can't you just claim its mandatory and give her a random password and email it to her or just set it to a default password and let the change it sometime or whatever?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84614 on: September 04, 2015, 12:43:05 am »

I have direct access to the equipment.  I can access the admin console for the router just as if I was sitting next to it with an ethernet plugged in.  Maybe even a little better because my login unlocks some advanced functions not actually available clientside, and I don't actually need to know the admin password(I just need to know mine).   If I wanted to I could put in a password, change her wifi ssid, set up port forwarding, put her computer on the DMZ, even factory reset it or disable it entirely. It is a fully functioning backdoor.

I would just get fired if I did any of that without permission to.  Everything I do is logged and linked to the phone call.  If she refuses a password all I can do is say how ill advised that is and ask again.
Pages: 1 ... 5639 5640 [5641] 5642 5643 ... 11040