Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5592 5593 [5594] 5595 5596 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461264 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83895 on: August 23, 2015, 10:54:55 pm »

Because shitty people thought it would be nice if you could monetize the internet via targeted marketing / ads.

I miss the days where you could be hidden. The internet should remain a hangout for anonymous people, not a place for retarded business practice that grab every single life information so they can deliver you a fresh bucket of target-flavored Baskin and Robbins.

Install Ghostery and Adblock
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83896 on: August 23, 2015, 10:58:41 pm »

I'm guessing you cannot counter-suit for defamation or something?
Am not a lawyer, do not know how this works.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83897 on: August 23, 2015, 11:23:27 pm »

World turned the internet social 'cause it's the most powerful communication tool we've yet invented, and they wanted to use it to communicate socially :V

... that's really just about it. Not even really anything odd about it, s'just people doing what people do, talk to each other. Just that a lotta' folks don't want to bother with the anonymity, so they don't. Which is okay, I guess. Little irritating, compared to when the 'net felt nice and comfortable and safe from the outside world, but that was pretty much always an illusion waiting to get popped. That time was always temporary, to the extent it even existed to begin with, and was pretty obvious it was going to end just as soon as interface and whatnot smoothed out enough to open up greater access to the medium. Which it did, and here we are.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83898 on: August 23, 2015, 11:34:06 pm »

I'll break out one of my favorite little quotes here:
What's the difference between the real world and the virtual one?

The amount of information, that's all.

Humans are social creatures, and really there isn't any differences between the online world and the "real" one, so humans are going to be social in both of them, simple as that.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83899 on: August 23, 2015, 11:38:11 pm »

You guys do know it was a complaint/rhetorical question, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83900 on: August 23, 2015, 11:40:21 pm »

Yeah? Doesn't mean folks can't talk about it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #83901 on: August 24, 2015, 12:38:16 am »

My shock for today has been that there's a game called "Pink shock pirates" that's pretty much sid meyers animu pirates and it hasn't been translated yet.

I mean come on! That's pretty much Gunner-chan's long lost favorite retro game right there if she knew about it. I told her about it and she renewed her vigor to attempt to learn japanese even.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83902 on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:41 am »

Apparently has a pair of sequels, too, though it looks like they deviate from the original game style.

Probable reason it hasn't been translated is just 'cause it's a PC-98 game. Doesn't look like there's been much inroads in translating stuff for that system. Just the farland story series seems to make up like half of all the translated games for it, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83903 on: August 24, 2015, 03:31:07 am »

I'm creating an indoor environment for my game project. It's... weirdly difficult. It's difficult to create a space that feels realistic and aesthetically pleasing, like "I could totally buy that this is a house" or something. I'll put down some walls, then use the first-person view and realize that the doorway is too huge, or the kitchen is way too cramped, or that the closet is huge. I've spent my entire life in buildings, why can't I create a halfway decent fictional one? ???
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #83904 on: August 24, 2015, 03:33:02 am »

Please do not quote.

Yeah except this social internet isn't socialing or interneting well. It's all crappy glad-handing lip service that considers "social" something you can be at 3AM wearing nothing, silently. People consider it "social" to have massive lists of friends, whom they never talk to, see, or have any contact with. It seems to me that the goal is minimizing actual contact with people an.... Hum, so wait a minute, I can appear "social" without actually really seeing, knowing or smelling anyone? Not too keen on the fake lipservice compliments, but then the whole thing is fake bullcrap anyhow. Never-mind this might be brilliant.

Basically, the person who really screwed me plead guilty to terrible, horrible not very good things, and according to the federal sentencing guidelines could face like 10 years in prison and be too old to work after and if they get out. So basically, uncollectable. Suing is just getting a judgment, you then somehow have to manage to get paid on that.

Please do not quote, thank you
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83905 on: August 24, 2015, 03:36:53 am »

I'm creating an indoor environment for my game project. It's... weirdly difficult. It's difficult to create a space that feels realistic and aesthetically pleasing, like "I could totally buy that this is a house" or something. I'll put down some walls, then use the first-person view and realize that the doorway is too huge, or the kitchen is way too cramped, or that the closet is huge. I've spent my entire life in buildings, why can't I create a halfway decent fictional one? ???

That's probably because you never actually actively studied a room and its proportions. It's like with drawing or painting anything really, just because you watched a lot of something doesn't mean you can accurately replicate it until you study the subject at hand and put in the practice to figure out certain things about it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83906 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:15 am »

It's like that for everything, man. Everything is way harder than you think it is until you actually try it, nothing is ever easy, always respect the people who make things you don't notice.

I am going to record myself stabbing a goddamn fishing pole and watch it for an hour so I can get that freaking attack animation down YEAH

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83907 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:52 am »

You just haven't created enough of that type of envirionment. It would also pay to actually measure things in real life, then use those measurements. Go measure rooms in your house and make that. After a while you'll just have a list of measurements you can use when you need some abstract concept like "door". It also pays to model in real-world units, such as centimetres. In Unity for example it's customary to treat the default 1 unit as a metre. Then, a doorway 1 unit across is "about right" all the time. Use consistent number in you modelling software so that you know how big things would be in real-life.

Of course if you're just winging it and doing some random layout in an overhead view, and not considering what the numbers would mean in real life, it will be completely wrong. In normal life you are never hovering above your room looking in.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:45:47 am by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83908 on: August 24, 2015, 03:46:58 am »

Yeah, the default "unit" in Blender maps to one meter, though it isn't labelled that. I actually imported the character model from my game as a size reference, that's helped immensely.

In the very very beginning, I have to wing it to some degree just to make myself place something and get a starting point. In an empty volume with no context, it's hard to say "Okay, the bathroom should go here, and the kitchen here, and here's the dining room..."

I'll be the first to admit I'm not an architect though. I took an intro drafting class that happened at the same time, in the same room as the more advanced class, and the shit they were doing looked really, really complex. One student designed some kind of airport installation as their final project, and it took two drafting tables to set down the sheet that the overhead view was drawn on.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83909 on: August 24, 2015, 03:54:01 am »

Why don't you look at existing floor plans? The type that are used to advertize new houses. They even have hand room size labels in metres:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:56:32 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 5592 5593 [5594] 5595 5596 ... 11040