Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5589 5590 [5591] 5592 5593 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460148 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83850 on: August 23, 2015, 11:09:42 am »

I can't even into school this semester, the damn admissions office still won't admit me as a local resident so im paying out of state tuition, which is double the usual rate. Out of pocket now, because I have a full time job.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83851 on: August 23, 2015, 11:11:55 am »

It saddens me to no end that Isis has been overshadowed by machete bombers
Part of the reason to use Da'esh. That, and the fact that they absolutely hate it, apparently.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83852 on: August 23, 2015, 11:30:39 am »

Da'esh? Is it arabic?

Also, ISIL is another thingy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83853 on: August 23, 2015, 11:42:25 am »

Da'esh? Is it arabic?
It is. It's basically an initialism, same as ISIS, except based on their arabic name and originally spelled in arabic. And has the fortunate side-effect that it sounds a lot like... well, I can't find a good example; basically, it's like they named themselves an 'Exceptionally Virtouous Youth League' and realized it spelled E.V.Y.L., or something along these lines.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83854 on: August 23, 2015, 11:45:12 am »

Part of the reason to use Da'esh. That, and the fact that they absolutely hate it, apparently.
If we're going to use names they hate just call them Dildos

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83855 on: August 23, 2015, 11:45:57 am »

If we're going to use names they hate just call them Dildos
Implying I don't.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83856 on: August 23, 2015, 11:50:11 am »

Then what do I call my pets ????

Anyways, reminded of starlite again by a youtube video.

For such a mysterious and incredible material, its surprisingly... uninteresting.
One wheel short of a wagon

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83857 on: August 23, 2015, 11:56:03 am »

Then what do I call my pets ????
Then you are free to name them all after Egyptian gods.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83858 on: August 23, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »

The Egyptians: inventing Furries, 4,000 years before the advent of the internet.
They did the world a favor that day.
Black lives matter.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83859 on: August 23, 2015, 12:28:14 pm »

This conversation reminds me that there was a metal band named Isis, after the egyptian god, years before the current thing with the extremist Daesh group. The band's logo was ISIS in capital letters.

Devout fans of the band got tattoos of the band's name. Now, they probably have to do lots of explaining to anyone who sees the tattoos.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83860 on: August 23, 2015, 01:11:10 pm »

Decided to look up theories as to why the Native Americans (North and South) never advanced as much as the Europeans did.

First thing I found sounded reasonable, up until it started going on about how modern crops produce less than 500 years ago, and how the wheat chaff is toxic.

From what I understand the reason we never progressed much in the eyes of the Euros was because shortly after the Spanish and Portuguese started arriving small pox did. Its hard to appear advance when your population goes from 100 mil to 10 mil in a area larger then Europe. Hell my tribe was starting to use iron weaponry before you know... they pretty much all died.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #83861 on: August 23, 2015, 01:15:39 pm »

Decided to look up theories as to why the Native Americans (North and South) never advanced as much as the Europeans did.

First thing I found sounded reasonable, up until it started going on about how modern crops produce less than 500 years ago, and how the wheat chaff is toxic.

If you want to know more about this, I recommend reading Guns, Germs, and Steel. It's required reading for our class, but I find it rather interesting. It changes your view of human development.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83862 on: August 23, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »

Most efficient weapon the English had against the Maori trench warfare was disease. That and giving them guns.

The latter was a bit self-defeating. The maoris fought everyone.
One wheel short of a wagon

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83863 on: August 23, 2015, 02:49:17 pm »

If you want to know more about this, I recommend reading Guns, Germs, and Steel. It's required reading for our class, but I find it rather interesting. It changes your view of human development.
Jared Diamond's a bit of an academic fool or idealist, whichever is better in your eyes. A lot of his history is wrong, underplayed or just dust not connect with what he's saying. The tl;dr is everything is an accident, native cooperation with Yurop is meh, the wills of nations and statesmen is meh, you don't domesticate animals to get domesticated animals, everything is caused by Yurops adaption to deadly pathogens.
Honestly the most likely reason is that Native Americans in the North never had populations large enough to form urban societies and begin creating the specialized roles in society that eventually lead up to scientists, scholars and scribes, or they had the agriculture, the populations but did not yet develop written language to keep information safe and build upon it. The South? Well, it was just a matter of time. Civilization was born in Mesopotamia 8,000 years ago, the Romans brought it to Europe 2,000 years ago and the Incan civilization was born 1,200 years ago. And whilst they lacked the technological discovery of Europe, they had the societies and governments which would have allowed such discovery to accrue from generation to generation - and indeed, when the Spanish did take over, its was made much easier by the assimilation of the local peoples disgruntled at their Incan overlords and they just took over the already existing governmental systems.
He tells a good story though.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83864 on: August 23, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »

can i recommend the book 1491? the main thing is that they were advanced just in different directions to Europeans. think of the genetic engineering wonder that is corn and things like tension construction with suspension bridges.
Pages: 1 ... 5589 5590 [5591] 5592 5593 ... 11040