Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5500 5501 [5502] 5503 5504 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453117 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82515 on: August 02, 2015, 09:45:02 am »

Why the fuck is Cities Skylines trying to fuck with a Tcpip/Parameters regkey?

Bugger off, I'm not letting you do that!

It probably wants to either change your MTU size, or change your max connections values.

Still, any seasoned network admin that has already examined their network's traffic type will have already set these to ideal values, and will NOT allow this kind of shit.  It is just plain bad practice for the game maker to try and fiddle with these, instead of just suggesting the changes to the player instead.  Fiddling with those two things can have detrimental effects elsewhere in the network. The makers of the game do not know what kind of switches or routers are in your network, or what impact slightly larger packets will have elsewhere.  Really, they should just not attempt to do this themselves without alerting the user. AT ALL.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82516 on: August 02, 2015, 10:11:09 am »

It's always entertaining to have execution control enabled in your antivirus while installing vidya: Even your friendly garden-variety Steam game may sometimes attempt to do things you wouldn't believe, like flood your registry with cryptic settings for third-party programs you've never installed, or some other shit like that. :-D   

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82517 on: August 02, 2015, 10:14:09 am »

Just found out that I'm apparently one eight Canadian.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82518 on: August 02, 2015, 10:30:52 am »

one of us
one of us
ONE OF US
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82519 on: August 02, 2015, 10:52:29 am »

My WTF was more a Win but due to the chances of me winning these things it was actually a WTF HOW! moment.
I won my first Prerelease of a CCG at a gamestore tonight. I have never even come in the top 10 in a 10 player game, don't ask me how but that happened once. :P Got me a nice big Attack on Titan Playmat for the cardgame we played but due to work I will never be able to actually get into so now its a mouse pad...
CCG - Wies Schwars.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82520 on: August 02, 2015, 11:14:09 am »

... Store was out of tortilla chips, but had plenty of salsa.  About to attempt eating salsa with Doritos.  Gaia help me.

You won't regret it.
I did not regret it!  The powderiness was a little weird with the salsa but not bad.
Also, how can anyone stand doritos and salsa? Doritos are soft and porous, they just get all floppy and gross when you dip them in anything.
Could not reproduce

As long as we dont have to call an intervention to any attempt at hoarding trash....
She should apply as a librarian.
Don't libraries tend to sell off their books?
My local library had these nice yard sales out on the lawn.  It seemed a little strange to buy something that was previously loaned out for free, but it was a way to donate to the library and help adopt doomed books.

I wish there was an easy way to check if a book has been scanned and uploaded online before you get rid of it. I don't have a problem with throwing away books but I understand why some people have such a visceral reaction to it - there are so many gaps in history we could fill if just one more person had kept one book on some mundane subject and we found it today. That's why the internet is great - if a book is available publicly online there's no obligation to keep hard copies (though obviously anyone who still wants to should).
This!  Though it doesn't *have* to be online for me to feel better, as long as it's preserved somewhere.  Library of Congress digital archives would be ideal.  It can live with the Tweets (and, I presume, in a west-coast backup).

You assume the internet is going to last.

In a world where the internet has been brought down we would enter a dark age more complete than we could imagine at the moment. Many of our books don't even reach print, instead remaining online.
I do keep my Boy Scout Handbook, heh.  Despite my *various* issues with the organization.  But I also have a solar+crank powered radio which I can charge my phone off of, so the books on there are available until equipment failure.  Which, yeah, planned obsolescence will fuck us hard.
I wonder what options there might be for a local copy of Wikipedia, selecting survival and technology articles, to fit on a 64GB SD card.

My WTF was more a Win but due to the chances of me winning these things it was actually a WTF HOW! moment.
I won my first Prerelease of a CCG at a gamestore tonight. I have never even come in the top 10 in a 10 player game, don't ask me how but that happened once. :P Got me a nice big Attack on Titan Playmat for the cardgame we played but due to work I will never be able to actually get into so now its a mouse pad...
CCG - Wies Schwars.
Nice!  Congratulations on the mouse pad :P

I wasn't going to add a wtf but...  It's crazy how I used to drink wine and liquor, never beer, but now that I'm so used to drinking beer, I'm having a *lot* of trouble not going too far with wine.  The sweetness makes it even worse in the morning.  I feel really great today because I just went to sleep instead, and I really needed that.

(Beer is significantly much more expensive for the alcohol content though, is the reason)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82521 on: August 02, 2015, 12:05:37 pm »

That's why the internet is great - if a book is available publicly online there's no obligation to keep hard copies (though obviously anyone who still wants to should).
To be fair, well-stored paper tends to be a more reliable storage medium than HDs. Data has a half-life! That's why a lot of old floppy disks are getting to the point they stop working; old video game cartridges, IIRC, won't last too much longer either, although I think that's got more to do with internal batteries. Modern HDs experience corruption pretty slowly, but if you're obsessed with ensuring data integrity you're going to need to copy your files over themselves every few years - something I'm reasonably certain doesn't happen on most web servers. Non-authoritative source
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82522 on: August 02, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »

I really hate the guy I carpool with. He never shows up until 7:45(I am required to be there at 8:00, and it's a 20 minute drive without traffic). He went home early the other day, because of some problem with his eye. His mom is a bitch, and the day before he went home early, she and him had a big arguement with her other son/his brother, right in front of me.

Books are awesome, though. I bought four the other day from work, two on US foreign policy/military history, one on Roman provinces, and one on the Sale Witchhunts.

Spoiler: Follow-up to this tale (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82523 on: August 02, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »

How do you guys even manage to play AA2? I had a go at it translated one time and I just had no idea what was going on. So much clunk, so little explanation.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82524 on: August 02, 2015, 12:56:54 pm »

Modern HDs experience corruption pretty slowly, but if you're obsessed with ensuring data integrity you're going to need to copy your files over themselves every few years - something I'm reasonably certain doesn't happen on most web servers.
Uh. Actually, last I checked, regular backups and backup replacements are... fairly standard? Hell, the high school I went to managed that much, and that was a good decade or so ago. Not often done specifically to prevent what you're talking about, but it's still an at-least somewhat common practice, so far as I'm aware. It's just good server maintenance practice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82525 on: August 02, 2015, 01:01:39 pm »

Back when I knew anything about server technology, basic RAID arrays provided redundancy and speed.  You could pull a drive and toss it in the trash without even turning off the server or losing any data.  I think plugging a replacement in would rebuild the array pretty automagically, dunno.

Also serious data storage in the US was backed up on the opposite coast.  Possibly came in handy during the California blackouts.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82526 on: August 02, 2015, 01:19:32 pm »

Modern HDs experience corruption pretty slowly, but if you're obsessed with ensuring data integrity you're going to need to copy your files over themselves every few years - something I'm reasonably certain doesn't happen on most web servers.
Uh. Actually, last I checked, regular backups and backup replacements are... fairly standard? Hell, the high school I went to managed that much, and that was a good decade or so ago. Not often done specifically to prevent what you're talking about, but it's still an at-least somewhat common practice, so far as I'm aware. It's just good server maintenance practice.
Hm, I'm an idiot.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #82527 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:46 pm »

That still doesn't mean there's no reason to keep physical storage rather than digital. I'm pretty young and shit and I still think physical is just a better and nicer format.

Besides, redundant arrays still can fail horrifically. Physical preservation is just another form of redundancy.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82528 on: August 02, 2015, 02:04:14 pm »

Oh, definitely. And like I said. I like m'books. Don't need another reason to keep 'em around than that.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82529 on: August 02, 2015, 02:09:28 pm »

Why would you get rid of books? They're useful as a source of information and fuel when society fails, while you probably need some technical knowhow to turn computer servers into either. And where you gonna get that electronics savvy? Not from the server bank you just smashed through somebody's ribcage and tender innards, nosir!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:09:29 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 5500 5501 [5502] 5503 5504 ... 11040