Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5393 5394 [5395] 5396 5397 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455899 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80910 on: July 15, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:17:10 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #80911 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:48 pm »

I mean, there's a stupid price ($59.99 for a kickstartered retro pixel platform with 2 hours of gameplay), there's the debateable price ($10 to $20 for the same) and then there's the price no one has a problem with ($4.99 or less.)

Seems to me that many developers kept chasing that lower price point, hoping it was going to magically offset itself in higher sales. Turns out, it doesn't really. It worked for Killing Floor and Binding of Isaac (charging way less than their people expect just by looking at it) because the games themselves were novel and interesting. The lower price point drives world of mouth advertising even better.

But when the game isn't noteworthy? Chances are, as I see it, the people that were going to buy it were going to buy it at the debatable price point, period. The people that hem and haw over a $5 to $10 difference weren't really interested enough to get it on its own merits, it's a cost calculation to them. ("I don't honestly care but I could be enticed to buy it at X price.")

So I think devs are learning to price their games to the audience they expect to buy it, instead of trying to tempt the audience that wasn't going to buy it with deeper and deeper discounts. Discounting your game by half of what you initially thought it should get only works if you make back DOUBLE the sales because of it. And my sense is that doesn't happen that often. Put another way, people who were interested in the game in the first place will buy it at the debatable/preferable price point, regardless of what the price ultimately is in that range. People that weren't interested require your game to be dirt cheap before they'll take the risk. Up until now I think developers have continually chased that "break out smash hit" success on Steam, thinking a price point is the secret to it all. It's not. Having a game that excites people does, first and foremost.

Sort of like The Last Door. It's an occult point and click adventure game that goes for like $10 on Steam...and that's only about 2/3rd of the game. (It's broken up into seasons and episodes within a season.) People have come after it for charging $10 for a point and click adventure game. But the people who dig the theme and the execution? It's totally appropriate. And so those guys have stuck to their price point even though the vocal majority are like "Your game needs to be cheaper."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80912 on: July 15, 2015, 02:19:49 pm »

I went from office slut to mighty lipped abstract art... Depressed extradimensional wookie?

Also REALLY SURPRISED RAINBOW WOOKIE

@Arx: I'll necro the last thread when I get back to the toribashing, unless someone has done it already by then ofc :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80913 on: July 15, 2015, 02:25:48 pm »

trip, fall, oooowwww, pain, WHO PUT THAT GIANT GODDAM PUDDLE ON THE LINOLIAM FLOOR BELLOW THE STAIRS!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80914 on: July 15, 2015, 03:20:01 pm »

... are you sure you actually want to know?

Inexplicable puddles of liquid are something sometimes better left unexplained.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80915 on: July 15, 2015, 03:32:46 pm »

Well, I'm definitely not trying acid, then.
:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80916 on: July 15, 2015, 04:18:57 pm »

In ~12 hours from now I should be in plane landing in London.

I haven't slept in ~40 hours.

Fuck.

Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #80917 on: July 15, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »

In ~12 hours from now I should be in plane landing in London.

I haven't slept in ~40 hours.

Fuck.

Now THAT is a nice trippy image.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80918 on: July 15, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »

Saw this Deep Dream before and after pic. Was wondering what sort of theme park had a large sphinx-like statue.  But I was wrong.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80919 on: July 15, 2015, 04:40:30 pm »

Just won my first game of toribash against the AI: even more satisfying than I thought. Ironically, this seems a lot quicker and easier to start then DF, though they were being discussed as the two games with the oddest interfaces ever.

EDIT: How cool is a Toribash move where you grab the opponents arms, kick his feet out from under him turning him sideways, then force his torso to the ground at a diagonal, one arm above your head bent, one arm straight down? Like, on a scale of 1:10?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:43:51 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80920 on: July 15, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »

Toribash seems like an awesome game if you have the time to learn it inside and out.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80921 on: July 15, 2015, 05:05:56 pm »

Just won my first game of toribash against the AI: even more satisfying than I thought. Ironically, this seems a lot quicker and easier to start then DF, though they were being discussed as the two games with the oddest interfaces ever.

EDIT: How cool is a Toribash move where you grab the opponents arms, kick his feet out from under him turning him sideways, then force his torso to the ground at a diagonal, one arm above your head bent, one arm straight down? Like, on a scale of 1:10?
Wait toribash has an AI?  I played it once but the main reason I stopped was because I couldn't find a way to learn how to do anything without making a fool of myself online.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80922 on: July 15, 2015, 05:07:38 pm »

It's in "fight school" the "challenge uke", as far as I can tell. I mean, he just forced my legs out from under me, shoved my hand behind my back and slammed me to the floor, which is unusual behaviour for a training dummy.
One wheel short of a wagon

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80923 on: July 15, 2015, 05:16:35 pm »

The best way to learn is to just play on the beginner rooms or just mess around on a custom room with you + friend. Start by learning how keep yourself from being disqualified (dont let anything but your hands and feet touch the floor), then play around with the joint contractions and expansions untill you can start to chain moves togheder. Judo is a decent mode to start, but a bad mode to learn to play properly, since turns take like 80 frames, so most games will consist of one major move followed by a series of efforts to not get disqualified, unless people actualy grab eachother.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #80924 on: July 15, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »

Inceptionist looks gorram brilliant with faces.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 5393 5394 [5395] 5396 5397 ... 11040