Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5382 5383 [5384] 5385 5386 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446326 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80745 on: July 13, 2015, 02:11:49 am »

I was thinking that they must have rebranded real quick when things went south.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80746 on: July 13, 2015, 03:11:02 am »

Nothing to see here. Wrong thread.
One wheel short of a wagon

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80747 on: July 13, 2015, 03:23:00 am »

I was thinking that they must have rebranded real quick when things went south.
Apparently they kept that logo and name through the fifties...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #80748 on: July 13, 2015, 03:25:46 am »

They did slap a (1912) on it, so I was half right. Those vans, though...

Edit: almost no urinal manufacturers include pricing information on their websites. Also, one of them had 'Africa' as a country.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:28:44 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #80749 on: July 13, 2015, 03:44:23 am »

... I kinda want one.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #80750 on: July 13, 2015, 03:53:27 am »

I heard it was an old Viking symbol. Clearly the swastika gets around.

I heard it was Japanese, which would neatly explain how it came to be Nazi German

The swastika commonly shows up in all indo-european (as in many others). Because of this it was made a symbol of aryan supremacy by... Well, believers in aryan supremacy.

They had delivery vans that were red, with a black Swastika on a white background.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suddenly the origins of racial hygiene and wiping Germany clean from inferior races becomes very clear.

Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #80751 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:58 am »

It shows up all over the place, and I suspect there's a very interesting reason for it.

It's a repeating pattern extruding from a single point, so I suspect it's a form constant.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80752 on: July 13, 2015, 06:24:56 am »

I kind of realized something...

I've seen a lot of fiction on half-angel half-demon things...

But what that almost ALWAYS amounts to is just some angsty child/teen/adult rather than someone who is legitimately torn because of their genes.

In fact... it is rare that fiction actually pulls it off in other forms as well. Belana Torres from Voyager for example, just felt like a rather violent woman rather then her "Klingon" genes seemed to drive her to violence.

In fact I am often surprised in fiction that whenever a benevolent being turns "evil" they almost always just go 100% evil... even when they by their very nature have an innate desire to do good they are just like "Nope! Evil now! I flipped the evil switch". This often SOMEHOW affects their fashion sense too as they will suddenly just love black.

There are exceptions mind you. I remember this one setting where angels flat out "can't" lie... and thus demons can't lie either (because demons are just cast out angels). In fact they are identical in this setting, most demons chose to keep their angelic appearances, and their powers only differ because they lack the sort of powers that heaven bestows (which are some really scary powers such as the ability to erase you from reality so that you never existed). Heck demons in this setting aren't even evil, they are just uncaring and saw humanity as a chore not worth dedicating themselves to.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 06:34:47 am by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80753 on: July 13, 2015, 07:32:33 am »

It would be most funny if this usual "Dark side" bullshit like this was replaced with completely opposite "Light side". I mean, outside of bad Christian fanfiction.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80754 on: July 13, 2015, 07:46:11 am »

It would be most funny if this usual "Dark side" bullshit like this was replaced with completely opposite "Light side". I mean, outside of bad Christian fanfiction.

Dragon Ball Z did exactly that where Dabura who was "The strongest person in the EVIL universe" (basically there is an evil version of the universe) and he was sent to heaven because "he would like hell too much" and he became 100% good and basically turned into a flat out flamboyant character (not gay, just flamboyant).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80755 on: July 13, 2015, 10:27:46 am »

Time to break out the bigger guns on this ant control problem. The other day had to throw out my breakfast cereal, and had peanut butter on toast for breakfast. Then, in between breakfast and the time to make a PB&J sandwich for lunch(about 1.5 hours), my parents threw out the jar of peanut butter without telling me, presumably because it was covered in ants. Then they suggested I use their peanut butter - a jar that expired in 2013, and was also covered in ants.

I'm just going to buy some cans of poison foggers and gas the damn ants.

Phone that you can make calls and send text messages, even pictures, with.
The phone that was available when I needed a phone.

These two lines describe my phone. Which I've had since 2008.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80756 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:43 am »

The swastika shows up all around the world in tons of different cultures and civilizations, even on non aryan cultures, it was just one of the many real cultural symbols the nazis adopted to validate their ideas on racial origin/purity, even though lots of these symbols had almost nothing to do with said ideals. They were geniuses at using said symbols in aesthetically impactant and pleasant ways, though, which isn't surprising considering they had people like Hugo Boss working for them, who designed the SS uniforms.

Nobody is really sure of where or how the swastika originated, but its widely recognized as a symbol that means progress/continuity/eternity.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80757 on: July 13, 2015, 10:46:25 am »

These tropes (evil? PURE EVIL! Good? PARAGON OF VIRTUE!, et al.) come about because ambiguous characters often confuse readers, and also because fiction has historically been a vehicle for social engineering.  This latter part paints a larger than life character that the reader is supposed to aspire to be like, and thus alter their behaviors accordingly.  This practice has had a rather nasty impact on believable fiction as a consequence.

Some of the things that good fiction needs are:

Actually believable characters that the reader can relate to. (This poses a significant problem when writing science fiction, because aliens need to be sufficiently human like in their thoughts and actions that humans can relate to them if they are anything other than an antagonist.)  There needs to be an engaging/interesting situation happening to keep the reader's interest. (A story about joe anyman going to burger king, ordering a big mac and a large soda, sitting there and eating it with nothing eventful happening, is BORING.)

Larger than life characters, be they super heroes, super villains, angels, demons or gods; are all the way they are to make a radically larger than life plot conflict believable-- with the plot conflict being what is interesting to the reader.

You find much more human characters in other kinds of fiction where radically larger than life plot arcs dont happen.  Take for instance, mystery books.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80758 on: July 13, 2015, 11:24:20 am »

Had to ride in the car with my mom's coworker. The smell was terrible. Like she shit her pants and decided to drench herself in perfume instead of cleaning up. Why?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80759 on: July 13, 2015, 11:34:34 am »

Had to ride in the car with my mom's coworker. The smell was terrible. Like she shit her pants and decided to drench herself in perfume instead of cleaning up. Why?

Was she obese?
Pages: 1 ... 5382 5383 [5384] 5385 5386 ... 11040