Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5339 5340 [5341] 5342 5343 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456389 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80100 on: July 01, 2015, 05:30:12 am »

Honestly the big sin of Diablo 2's story was just its incredibly bad plot twist and insults the intelligence and investment of anyone who actually cared about the story of the first game enough to read the manual.

Yet Diablo 3 sure put that into perspective. Diablo 3 actually insults the intelligence of anyone who actually cares enough about story to read the manual... yes... Diablo 3 contradicts its own manual.

I wish I could go back to the time when Diablo 2 was the worst way to handle the story of a videogame sequel...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #80101 on: July 01, 2015, 05:31:13 am »

Given that the plot summary sounded like the worst kind of fanfiction when Diablo's story wasn't all that great to begin with, I'd believe it.

The weird thing is, Diablo II was just inches away from having an actual plot. The cutscenes were awesome, on par with some of the pre-rendered scenes from Starcraft: Brood War, and I liked the things that were hinted and implied (such as the fate of the Rogue and Sorcerer from Diablo 1). Marius' and Tyrael's (Baal disguised as Tyrael, anyway) voice actors were excellent. With some less campy in-game voice acting and slower gameplay akin to the original game, D2 might have actually had a story that somebody could care about.
Slower gameplay?
Eesh, how slow was D1?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80102 on: July 01, 2015, 05:33:42 am »

Given that the plot summary sounded like the worst kind of fanfiction when Diablo's story wasn't all that great to begin with, I'd believe it.

The weird thing is, Diablo II was just inches away from having an actual plot. The cutscenes were awesome, on par with some of the pre-rendered scenes from Starcraft: Brood War, and I liked the things that were hinted and implied (such as the fate of the Rogue and Sorcerer from Diablo 1). Marius' and Tyrael's (Baal disguised as Tyrael, anyway) voice actors were excellent. With some less campy in-game voice acting and slower gameplay akin to the original game, D2 might have actually had a story that somebody could care about.
Slower gameplay?
Eesh, how slow was D1?

Pretty dang slow. Mind you what helped with how slow everything was is how tight and compact the floors were.

What I find odd is that some games actually are Diablo 1 speed... but Diablo 2 openness... creating this blackhole of time wasting.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80103 on: July 01, 2015, 05:36:23 am »

Witcher 1 levels of time-wasting.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #80104 on: July 01, 2015, 05:36:47 am »

Slower gameplay?
Eesh, how slow was D1?

However slow you think D2 is, it's lightning fast compared to D1. You can't run or even go faster than the normal walking speed; your view is much narrower, so you can only see things that are pretty close by, and it's pretty dark too. All spells are only cast after the spellcasting animation plays, which can't be sped up; same for attacks, though some weapon classes are faster than others. D1 actually had atmosphere though, something that D2 was sorely lacking. Although D1 was pretty campy, you could tell it was trying, and that's why it will always be my favorite over D2 :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80105 on: July 01, 2015, 05:41:13 am »

Diablo 1 also kind of knew how to tell its story.

Sure I could actually summarize the entire story of the game in maybe 1 or 2 sentences... but the game knew what it was doing. It made every little thing in the game seem important and interconnected. It actually made you care about what you were doing.

Heck here let me try

A Demon in a stone possessed the son of the king, summoned the legions of hell, and basically took over the town of Tristram. DONE! MAYBE if I wanted to be complete I could mention Lazarus.

Diablo 2 was more "epic" but in doing so in many ways it had a problem with making you care... it wasn't dreadful but it was more or less a "bigger but shallower" experience. I could probably summarize the story in a paragraph

While Diablo 3 stopped caring and is the hilarious train wreck we know today.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 05:43:06 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80106 on: July 01, 2015, 05:45:59 am »

You can't run or even go faster than the normal walking speed[snip]
Wasn't there some kind of teleport/blink spell? Could swear I remember blinking around in D1.

It's entirely possible I just have that memory because I actually played the multiplayer a fair bit, though. Similarly, there were definitely ways around that casting animation :V

Still pretty fondly remember lolrolling over the highest difficulty in MP with machinegun fireballs. Shit went down in D1. Them early iteration multiplayer games and their more or less complete lack of hack protection :3
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80107 on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:14 am »

Also don't forget that if you died you had to walk down all 100 levels without a scroll of town portal.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80108 on: July 01, 2015, 06:27:24 am »

Also don't forget that if you died you had to walk down all 100 16 levels without a scroll of town portal.
FTFY
In fact, 4 levels at most, thanks to the alternate entrances (crypt up north, cave near Wirt, Chasm behind Pepin).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80109 on: July 01, 2015, 06:29:47 am »

Weren't the crypt and chasm only in multiplayer?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80110 on: July 01, 2015, 06:32:38 am »

No? I can't recall any part of D1 that was MP only...

... in other news, I'm going through a LP of an iOS JRPG called Chaos Rings. Have got to the first(?) big reveal, and it turns out the plotline of this game is apparently hatesex and ten millennium of incest and inbreeding. Seems like whoever wrote the plot got their genetics lesson from Genesis instead of a biology textbook :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80111 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:06 am »

No? I can't recall any part of D1 that was MP only...

... in other news, I'm going through a LP of an iOS JRPG called Chaos Rings. Have got to the first(?) big reveal, and it turns out the plotline of this game is apparently hatesex and ten millennium of incest and inbreeding. Seems like whoever wrote the plot got their genetics lesson from Genesis instead of a biology textbook :V
Shouldn't that be six millenia then?

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80112 on: July 01, 2015, 07:04:18 am »

Weren't the crypt and chasm only in multiplayer?
No, but you needed to find them in the dungeon and come back up through them once for them to be usable.
Only Nightmare and Hell difficulties were multiplayer-only.
Single-player-only, on the other hand... Several quests, Leoric's Tomb (he instead appears somewhere in level 3 with a cohort of skeleton archers), all quest-related uniques...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80113 on: July 01, 2015, 07:14:04 am »

Shouldn't that be six millenia then?
They were trying to be a little original, I guess.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #80114 on: July 01, 2015, 07:24:47 am »

Was just in a Skype call with a friend who lives about ten, fifteen away. I started hearing thunder through his mic, then a few seconds later, I hear the thunder where I am.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 5339 5340 [5341] 5342 5343 ... 11040