Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5327 5328 [5329] 5330 5331 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460688 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79920 on: June 28, 2015, 11:40:26 am »

Dont get me started on the human fixation on "popularity" and positions of power. That's a road best not traveled.

However, given the inexorable nature of that problem, coupled with the democratic-republic nature of the US's electoral system, it is inevitable that presidential and congressional popularity indices will be useful metrics for gauging how the next election cycle will pan out.

Nobody ever said this kind of government was ideal. Far the contrary I believe. Just that it is one of the better options available.

Personally? I'd rather turn control of government over to a deep learning AI. Train it at the city level for awhile, then let it move up as it improves. At least the AI would make logical and rational choices.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79921 on: June 28, 2015, 11:42:30 am »

Rational is terrifying though. Depending on what it's meant to be optimising logical can go some very bad ways.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79922 on: June 28, 2015, 11:44:07 am »

Terrifying can be both good and bad.

Take for instance, tort reform. Terrifying.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79923 on: June 28, 2015, 11:46:26 am »

Rational is terrifying though. Depending on what it's meant to be optimising logical can go some very bad ways.

Indeed. It would be not so surprising if an AI identified humans as the weak, irrational and inefficient link in global society. Eliminating us could end crime, world hunger, war, and so on...

How logical.
This is a blank sig.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79924 on: June 28, 2015, 11:48:30 am »

A deep learning AI of current state of the art would not be able to reach such a conclusion.

Instead, it would base its decisions on the metrics it has been programmed to analyze, and the outcomes of prior decisions, both made by itself and by human contemporaries.

It would be terrifying, because it would give us the government we deserve.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79925 on: June 28, 2015, 11:51:15 am »

However, given the inexorable nature of that problem, coupled with the democratic-republic nature of the US's electoral system, it is inevitable that presidential and congressional popularity indices will be useful metrics for gauging how the next election cycle will pan out.
A worthless exercise because the choice is meaningless, both lead to the same outcome only diverging on whether they like homosex

Nobody ever said this kind of government was ideal. Far the contrary I believe. Just that it is one of the better options available.
Personally? I'd rather turn control of government over to a deep learning AI. Train it at the city level for awhile, then let it move up as it improves. At least the AI would make logical and rational choices.
We must dissent

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79926 on: June 28, 2015, 11:54:16 am »

We must dissent
How proud we have become... and how blind
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79927 on: June 28, 2015, 11:58:57 am »

Again, the government we deserve.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79928 on: June 28, 2015, 12:05:19 pm »

We must dissent
How proud we have become... and how blind
Science has gone too far
Fuck you Zhakarov, load the planet busters, space war now

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79929 on: June 28, 2015, 12:07:57 pm »

What the hell did I start?

Anyway. I have no idea what I'm drinking. Bought a 7-Eleven Gulp(smaller than a Big Gulp) cup, pressed what may have been a button or something for lemon... something. Some carbonated yellowish drink came out. Looks kinda like ginger ale, but tastes vanilla-ey. Not that good though, might be diet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79930 on: June 28, 2015, 12:10:34 pm »

Science has gone too far
Fuck you Zhakarov, load the planet busters, space war now
Nyet, nothing can stahp the progress!  Nothing- SWEET UNMERCIFUL SCIENCE, THE MINDWORMS
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79931 on: June 28, 2015, 12:18:21 pm »

There's an Isaac Asimov short story similar to that. "The Evitable Conflict"

Indeed. It would be not so surprising if an AI identified humans as the weak, irrational and inefficient link in global society. Eliminating us could end crime, world hunger, war, and so on...

How logical.

And that's a standard sci-fi trope to justify the robot revolution against humans. "Humans are flawed, beep boop, better to remove humans than serve flawed meatbags, beep boop. Kill kill kill beeeeep."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79932 on: June 28, 2015, 12:24:13 pm »

I reckon that the machines will kill us all someday when the scientists build a network of robots and AIs to keep the whole wide world safe and happy, then some vote-greedy politician with no understanding of the system in question pledges to set such a low value for [MAXIMUM_HUMAN_SUFFERING_LEVEL_ACCEPTABLE] that our existence becomes unacceptably risky, and needs to end.
One wheel short of a wagon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79933 on: June 28, 2015, 12:32:11 pm »

And that's a standard sci-fi trope to justify the robot revolution against humans. "Humans are flawed, beep boop, better to remove humans than serve flawed meatbags, beep boop. Kill kill kill beeeeep."
That... isn't what I meant. It's not so much that they'd want to get rid of humans as they wouldn't consider them the same way other humans do.
See: Stamp collecting AI thought experiment.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79934 on: June 28, 2015, 12:42:26 pm »

That's what I was getting at. AIs dont see "People", they respond to data.  Peoples lives are just more data to them. Depending on how the AI is programmed, and how information is fed to the AI, it could either be very beneficial for humans (who would finally have a truly impartial executor) or very detrimental (as that executor crushes all their dreams.)

That's why I suggested limited exposure as the first activation experience. Perhaps, management of a small group of human workers. Perhaps management of a project. Something that has quantifiable and predictable inputs to use as data, and which use human satisfaction as one of the optimization metrics.  (Note, NOT happiness, Satisfaction. Very different things)

So, the overriding goals of the Statesman AI 1.0 would be:

Keep crime within human tolerable levels, favoring lows
Prevent mismanagement of government resources
Optimize for human satisfaction, based on human input
Reduce contention between humans for resources
Prevent outcomes that would disfavorably impact human satisfaction.
Assure that all humans are treated equally in terms of legality
Respect human rights (including privacy and dignity)
Verify accuracy of all collected data

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:01:27 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 5327 5328 [5329] 5330 5331 ... 11040