Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5289 5290 [5291] 5292 5293 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480104 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79350 on: June 20, 2015, 04:05:33 am »

1. I never said that at all. I did say that the usage of toxic that was was coined by Riot, who also use it liberally where they want to make their opinions seem like objective truth (a habit which spread to the entire damn competitive video game community, which is a very... toxic habit to have).

2. 253 games of Dota 2, of which about 30% have had voice chat and only maybe 20% of those have had flaming on voice chat. Within the last few months, I think I've had about 5 or 6 games with voice chat and exactly one where there was flaming.  Note also that I'm somewhere around the middle of the "normal skill" bracket, where people are just good enough to flame things they think are stupid but aren't actually good enough to know what's stupid or not, so nearly peak flame point.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:07:20 am by Putnam »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79351 on: June 20, 2015, 04:13:39 am »

1. No, but if you say that in response to my post using it, it does imply certain things. If not the intention, you should make that more clear, like what your second post did.

2. Unfortunately, the plural of anecdote is not data. I'm sure there are plenty people out there who've had mostly positive interactions, but from what I've seen, also plenty who've had a mostly negative one. Even if the cliche is overblown, it's unlikely to be completely fabricated.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79352 on: June 20, 2015, 04:17:48 am »

More importantly, it is literally the exact same effort to mute voice chat as text chat.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79353 on: June 20, 2015, 04:21:16 am »

2. 253 games of Dota 2, of which about 30% have had voice chat and only one or two have had flaming on voice chat. Note also that I'm somewhere around the middle of the "normal skill" bracket, where people are just good enough to flame things they think are stupid but aren't actually good enough to know what's stupid or not, so nearly peak flame point.

That's not what I was talking about. How many of those were mostly dead silence with an occasional cough or bit of a sentence?

Of course, given your own bias on this topic, I'm not particularly inclined to believe that ratio. :|

Shitty people are the one universal constant in online multiplayer, and they crop up a lot more often than that even in places where they honestly shouldn't. There's been precisely one instance I've ever seen of a public game with consistently calm and helpful comms, and that was when I used to play in a CS:S server run by a really tightly wound group, where four of our regulars were admins who permabanned assholes as soon as they showed themselves and half of the people who played on it were long-time regulars.

Granted, I do think that DotA2 probably has a somewhat lower incidence rate, if only because of the paywall and potentially because it isn't Riot's shitty report-response system at work, but it ain't less than 3% of voice chat games, unless you're counting with some obtuse method where any positive communication nullifies flaming/flaming "doesn't count" if it's only one guy and doesn't persist for the whole game. People are salty, salty people rage and flame, and nothing makes people saltier than MOBAs. But heck, maybe you've been lucky.

2. Unfortunately, the plural of anecdote is not data. I'm sure there are plenty people out there who've had mostly positive interactions, but from what I've seen, also plenty who've had a mostly negative one. Even if the cliche is overblown, it's unlikely to be completely fabricated.
The truly unfortunate part is that we have to be unscientific and talk about personal experiences, because nobody with sufficient interest in the subject actually wants to waste that much of their life gathering meaningful samples about this.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #79354 on: June 20, 2015, 04:23:10 am »

People being annoying over voice chat in general isn't a very good reason not to have it, especially when you can almost always mute it.

The biggest problem with in-game voice chat is that it's never used, in pubs nobody talks (meaningfully) and when you start getting competitive, everybody prefers mumble or TS :P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:24:52 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79355 on: June 20, 2015, 04:23:31 am »

More importantly, it is literally the exact same effort to mute voice chat as text chat.

Text chat is much easier to ignore than voice chat, provided you're playing with sound on (which gives usable in-game information in a lot of games).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79356 on: June 20, 2015, 04:55:58 am »

That's not what I was talking about. How many of those were mostly dead silence with an occasional cough or bit of a sentence?

Obviously I wouldn't count that. I'm not a mindless fanboy, goddamn, I'm not going to skew statistics in my favor out of some stupid MOBA grudge, that would be idiotic and petty and completely ruin any dignity I have when it comes to this kind of thing.

Granted, I do think that DotA2 probably has a somewhat lower incidence rate, if only because of the paywall and potentially because it isn't Riot's shitty report-response system at work, but it ain't less than 3% of voice chat games

20% of voice chat games not 3%, which is about the same signal-to-noise ratio as text chat AFAIK.

the paywall

what

Also, bias? I can't even imagine the kind of cognitive dissonance required to say that feature you can turn off entirely (there's a "voice volume" option available in-game that you can turn all the way down) is a negative, so it's slightly ridiculous to say that I'm biased for saying that it's a good thing to have in a game.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 05:00:19 am by Putnam »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #79357 on: June 20, 2015, 10:38:08 am »

I've been told I look like Nicolaus Copernicus, of all the people, yesterday.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79358 on: June 20, 2015, 11:23:18 am »

A proper PC is infinitely better, but I've managed to knock together enough custom configs that it's tolerable on my phone. Sufficiently so that I like to imagine it's difficult to tell whether I'm using my phone or laptop. Factory default was horrific, though.

Rooted android phone
+
Linux Deploy
+
VNC Viewer
+
Midori (in the linux userland)
---------------------
ACTUAL browser on android phone, with an actual desktop environment. (I am currently driving LXDE)
(I also have claws-mail installed, along with the PGP encryption plugins, and have PGP properly set up with my keyring.)

I could use actual firefox, but a phone is kinda limited resource wise, and firefox is designed for situations where there is gobs and gobs of RAM. My phone? 512mb. Midori is ultra minimalist, but can handle most modern CSS and the like, so it actually works.

Touch screen works like a touch pad, with a movable mouse pointer. Works pretty well. Phone has a slide out hardware keyboard.

That sounds AWESOME!

There IS a downside though. :(

The chroot-ed linux userland cant grab the alsa subsystem, (android wont let go of it or share it!) so you dont get any audio.

It's nice though, since you can leave linux running behind android and have all kinds of nifty services started. Things like mounting a remote filesystem and mounting it under a folder on the SDCard, or even running a tiny webserver right from a phone. It really is a tiny linux box, and anything you can do on linux (within reason) you can do on the phone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79359 on: June 20, 2015, 11:33:42 am »

this thread is so toxic it gave me liver failure

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #79360 on: June 20, 2015, 11:33:51 am »

The biggest problem with in-game voice chat is that it's never used, in pubs nobody talks (meaningfully) and when you start getting competitive, everybody prefers mumble or TS :P
I wonder what effect the later implementation of in-game voice chatting had on that. In HoN, almost everybody in the higher levels of play uses the ingame chat unless they are 5 manning as a group (though people do often run another voice chat program alongside the game just for friendly discussion). Heck, even a fairly large number of lower level players use the ingame voice chat (though that is where you need to be a bit more mute-heavy :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79361 on: June 20, 2015, 11:36:45 am »

Are you sure that isn't meningitis? Your head looks a little swollen...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79362 on: June 20, 2015, 11:37:57 am »

Are you sure that isn't meningitis? Your head looks a little swollen...
manlygitis increases apm for scrub ganking

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79363 on: June 20, 2015, 11:47:28 am »

Totally meningitis then-

Reduced impulse control--
Inappropriate behavior--
Impaired language skills--
Swollen head--

Off to the doctor with you, so they can drill a hole in your head and sample your CSF for viral contaminants!
And for goodness sake, stop doing that one weird trick!

;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #79364 on: June 20, 2015, 11:48:39 am »

Urists hate them!
Pages: 1 ... 5289 5290 [5291] 5292 5293 ... 11037