Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5288 5289 [5290] 5291 5292 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480997 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79335 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:57 pm »

...you seriously don't get that in league

wow i might switch

In all seriousness, though, I can read spanish, which makes it hurt a lot more.

In REAL seriousness, though, Dota 2 has actual proper tutorials and hero trials now, so SHRUG

Yeah, it's one of the things that's making me want to switch, though it pales in comparison to the recent news. I'll probably redownload DotA2 next time I get a hankering to play MOBAs.

But yes, no screaming Russians in League. Just mountains of salt in chat, always in broken English regardless of what server you're on. That's the single feature I think LoL wins out on without contest: no voice chat, and you can mute people in text chat in the scoreboard.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79336 on: June 19, 2015, 10:59:19 pm »

A proper PC is infinitely better, but I've managed to knock together enough custom configs that it's tolerable on my phone. Sufficiently so that I like to imagine it's difficult to tell whether I'm using my phone or laptop. Factory default was horrific, though.

Rooted android phone
+
Linux Deploy
+
VNC Viewer
+
Midori (in the linux userland)
---------------------
ACTUAL browser on android phone, with an actual desktop environment. (I am currently driving LXDE)
(I also have claws-mail installed, along with the PGP encryption plugins, and have PGP properly set up with my keyring.)

I could use actual firefox, but a phone is kinda limited resource wise, and firefox is designed for situations where there is gobs and gobs of RAM. My phone? 512mb. Midori is ultra minimalist, but can handle most modern CSS and the like, so it actually works.

Touch screen works like a touch pad, with a movable mouse pointer. Works pretty well. Phone has a slide out hardware keyboard.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79337 on: June 19, 2015, 11:00:23 pm »

So here is a cost break down of how much a character REALLY costs in League of legends in American Dollars.. IF you do not pay for a champion with actual money

Cheapest: $33
Most Expensive: $585
All characters: $31275

WOW!

Uh. What. Are you arguing that you need to buy all of the cosmetic skins for a champion in order to be able to play them?

Ahaha, there are a lot of complaints to be leveled at Riot, but that's sort of absurd.

Not sure, from how Neo's post is structured, but they MIGHT be saying that that's how much the time it takes to unlock all the champions is worth, in money. They might also not be saying that though, but I could be wrong.
No, that is LITERALLY how much they cost, converted from Riot points into USD.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79338 on: June 20, 2015, 12:36:41 am »

That's the single feature I think LoL wins out on without contest: no voice chat, and you can mute people in text chat in the scoreboard.

...You can do both those in Dota 2. You can also mute voice chat. You're seriously arguing that the lack of a feature is a positive?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79339 on: June 20, 2015, 12:40:09 am »

It could be.

"Buy our game, because unlike the competition, it won't shoot battery acid into your eyes everytime you lose! Fun for the whole family!"

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #79340 on: June 20, 2015, 01:44:19 am »

I would love Midori, except that it crashes on nearly every website I use it to access from my PC. And uses about the same amount of RAM as Firefox.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #79341 on: June 20, 2015, 02:22:56 am »

That's the single feature I think LoL wins out on without contest: no voice chat, and you can mute people in text chat in the scoreboard.
Honestly the way Heroes of Newerth handled their mute/ignore features is one of the best things I like about that game (I guess they kinda had to do a good job because the community as a whole is so bad :-\). You have built-in voice chat for team coordination, but muting someone is literally a single click, and adding someone to your ignore list is 2 clicks. You can also do a little 3-letter command in the chat box, 1 time turns off all chat from the enemy team, 2 times turns it off from everyone but people on your friends list, and 3 times turns off all chat, period, in case you are suffering attack from multiple directions at once.

Honestly I've tried to switch over to Dota 2 a couple of times to check it out, but HoN's faster pace and so many little, life improving fixes always stop me (real-time cast range and AoE indicators for any spell you are preparing to cast are a godsend). I've looked at LoL, but the whole "you have to unlock champions" thing bugs me; in my mind the best player in the world with thousands of hours played and an absolute brand new player should (hypothetically) be able to sit down to a game and have skill alone decide who wins and loses. That just can't happen when one player has access to all of the champions (and therefore has a wider variety of options to chose from for counter/team composition) and the other has access to only a small group.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79342 on: June 20, 2015, 03:20:23 am »

If 'No voice chat' is a feature, go play Heroes of the Storm, which has no text chat.
Oh yay, no shitposting, isn't that grand?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79343 on: June 20, 2015, 03:24:39 am »

I think it's less "no voice chat is better" and more "the community is so toxic, you're better of without it. But if the community was nice, then having it again would be much better".

Say you have 3 cars. One has no radio, one has a normal one, one has a radio stuck to caustic racist swearing that automatically plays everytime you turn it on, though you can turn it off manually. If the second one isn't available, I'd choose the first.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79344 on: June 20, 2015, 03:26:16 am »

Yes but I like rap music.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #79345 on: June 20, 2015, 03:35:30 am »

A proper PC is infinitely better, but I've managed to knock together enough custom configs that it's tolerable on my phone. Sufficiently so that I like to imagine it's difficult to tell whether I'm using my phone or laptop. Factory default was horrific, though.

Rooted android phone
+
Linux Deploy
+
VNC Viewer
+
---------------------
ACTUAL browser on android phone, with an actual desktop environment. (I am currently driving LXDE)
(I also have claws-mail installed, along with the PGP encryption plugins, and have PGP properly set up with my keyring.)

I could use actual firefox, but a phone is kinda limited resource wise, and firefox is designed for situations where there is gobs and gobs of RAM. My phone? 512mb. Midori is ultra minimalist, but can handle most modern CSS and the like, so it actually works.

Touch screen works like a touch pad, with a movable mouse pointer. Works pretty well. Phone has a slide out hardware keyboard.

That sounds AWESOME!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79346 on: June 20, 2015, 03:49:13 am »

I think it's less "no voice chat is better" and more "the community is so toxic, you're better of without it. But if the community was nice, then having it again would be much better".

Say you have 3 cars. One has no radio, one has a normal one, one has a radio stuck to caustic racist swearing that automatically plays everytime you turn it on, though you can turn it off manually. If the second one isn't available, I'd choose the first.

1. toxic is the most obnoxious buzzword in existence and in pretty much all situations means "something I disagree with"

2. communication is actually useful; why, just yesterday I had a game in Dota 2 where there was no flaming on my team and everyone communicated over voice chat

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79347 on: June 20, 2015, 03:55:30 am »

I'm not sure what's more annoying between being in a TF2 server where my team talk on the mic or them not talking on mic and muting anyone who speaks.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79348 on: June 20, 2015, 04:00:49 am »

What? I used it to represent a community where, for example, inexperienced players are scolded or where the language is very, ah, innapropriate. Will you deny certain game communities are more open and welcoming than others, and more pleasant to interact with in general?

Second, sure, you got lucky. It was a sterile example, but if there's on average more flaming than good communication, I dunno if that's worth it. Of course, having the option there to be enabled by those who are willing to take it might be the best midway there.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79349 on: June 20, 2015, 04:04:31 am »

It's not just MOBAs, but they are among the worst. If I had to ballpark it, I'd guess that the average for any given game in my experience is about 40-odd matches with trolls, screaming children, heavy breathers, abrasive assholes, &c. for every one where people are communicating useful information and working together. It ain't worth it. Voice chat in pub servers for competitive games is the verbal electronic form of an abusive spouse who is kind and caring once in a blue moon.

Take, for example, World of Tanks. If that had voice chat, I don't even want to think about how many hours of my life would have been wasted clicking mute buttons.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 5288 5289 [5290] 5291 5292 ... 11037