Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5287 5288 [5289] 5290 5291 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481184 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79320 on: June 19, 2015, 07:07:17 pm »

While I'm sure that is indeed what's going on down at Valve headquarters, I feel I should point out that Valve runs Dota 2, not League of Legends. :v

That's what they want you to think. By setting up two huge rival factions and polarizing most people between them, they profit either way. That's also what Valve's doing with the Murrican political parties, so its not like they haven't done this before.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79321 on: June 19, 2015, 07:17:46 pm »

Meh, MOBAs, schMOBAs.
Pretty much.

inb4 Putnam.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79322 on: June 19, 2015, 07:51:29 pm »

Is mentioning FNaF all over the place a new dank le reddit maymayxd? It seems to be a thing, and I probably would prefer if it were something unfunny and obnoxious that people thought was funny, rather than just something unfunny and obnoxious.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79323 on: June 19, 2015, 07:58:23 pm »

Meh, MOBAs, schMOBAs.
Pretty much.

inb4 Putnam.

did you see me make the comparison earlier

the genre name i came up with is 50 words

i wouldn't disagree

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79324 on: June 19, 2015, 08:22:48 pm »

So here is a cost break down of how much a character REALLY costs in League of legends in American Dollars.. IF you do not pay for a champion with actual money

Cheapest: $33
Most Expensive: $585
All characters: $31275

WOW!

Uh. What. Are you arguing that you need to buy all of the cosmetic skins for a champion in order to be able to play them?

Ahaha, there are a lot of complaints to be leveled at Riot, but that's sort of absurd.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79325 on: June 19, 2015, 08:25:33 pm »

So here is a cost break down of how much a character REALLY costs in League of legends in American Dollars.. IF you do not pay for a champion with actual money

WOW!

Uh. What. Are you arguing that you need to buy all of the cosmetic skins for a champion in order to be able to play them?

Ahaha, there are a lot of complaints to be leveled at Riot, but that's sort of absurd.

Not sure, from how Neo's post is structured, but they MIGHT be saying that that's how much the time it takes to unlock all the champions is worth, in money. They might also not be saying that though, but I could be wrong.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79326 on: June 19, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »

If zou don't plau League of Legend with all the kosmetiks, then zou're poor and Irish.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79327 on: June 19, 2015, 08:27:35 pm »

WOW!

Not sure, from how Neo's post is structured, but they MIGHT be saying that that's how much the time it takes to unlock all the champions is worth, in money. They might also not be saying that though, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the intended meaning.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79328 on: June 19, 2015, 08:31:21 pm »

WOW!

Maybe. IDK that it ever really bothered me, though. You're not going to learn champions faster than you acquire them regardless of how good you are, and unlocking stuff through progression is hardly a unique game mechanic.

I know LoL gets a lot of flak for the pre-30 leveling system, champions, runes, &c., but in retrospect it honestly helps ease you into the game concepts and gives you opportunities to get comfortable with specific champions and roles. One of the main things that initially made me pick LoL over DotA2 was the ease of access. That, and not being screamed at by angry Russians.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79329 on: June 19, 2015, 08:41:55 pm »

...you seriously don't get that in league

wow i might switch

In all seriousness, though, I can read spanish, which makes it hurt a lot more.

In REAL seriousness, though, Dota 2 has actual proper tutorials and hero trials now, so SHRUG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #79330 on: June 19, 2015, 09:08:28 pm »

Spoiler: Relevant. (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #79331 on: June 19, 2015, 09:15:09 pm »

Heroes of Newerth anyone? No? No?

*i2amroy cries in his rage-filled community corner*

:P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79332 on: June 19, 2015, 09:56:34 pm »

I have to do a group program for my final for C++.
Holy shit we're so bad at this.
How do people get any work done working with other people? This is so inefficient; we spent one day coding then the next two attempting to integrate those bits together. We have around fifty unused features, no UI to speak of, and have around 2 days left to test and fix everything. We have to write a basic ATM and we just did the withdrawal/deposit functions yesterday because everyone assumed someone else was doing it, even the person it was assigned to.

The code's an eldritch monstrosity; the leader's incompetent -not that anyone else'd be better, myself included-; one person has spent the entire time goofing off writing random programs that he used to fill my directory with literally thousands -2843 IIRC- of empty folders and fiddling around with random junk, though he can code super fast if he wants to, with the problem being getting him to focus and be on task; despite all our planning, the working rates are different enough that some of us finished their section while others were still working on stubbing their things out; someone set something that was just supposed to be a string to also be an int; the mutator functions took two values, setting the value to the sum or difference of the two (varying between functions); stuff that should work doesn't, so the code's full of kludgy fixes; we have only a single meetup planned, and even that's just over teamspeak and google docs; and we haven't talked in the least about the presentation that's worth a quarter of a grade.

This is it. This is where I die.
[/rant]
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79333 on: June 19, 2015, 10:16:36 pm »

I'm on the 6th episode of an anime on Crunchyroll. This 6th episode has 666 votes giving it five stars.

Satan confirmed animu weeb.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #79334 on: June 19, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »

How do people get any work done working with other people?
Lots and lots of work in the planning stages usually. I have a friend who works professionally as a software team leader, he says that they spend maybe 2/3rds of their time on projects just planning things out and laying down documentation, and if you work hard enough on making your documentation good enough, then usually the other pieces fall into place fairly easily. And that's not just planning who works on what, you should be laying out documentation on how each piece works with each other long before you ever code a single line. If every person has a good enough set of rules about how their portion is supposed to work and interface with the other portions, then putting them together should be as simple as sticking them both into the same project file and clicking compile, no extra work required. If you are seeing bugs or compile failures that happen due to cross-section stuff (such as one thing trying to take an int and a string as opposed to just a string), then it's usually a pretty good indicator that you didn't do enough documentation work. I've also found that if you all meet in person for these planning sessions (ideally in a place with a whiteboard or other drawing surface to use for brainstorming) then things tend to get outlined a little better than if you are just meeting over your computers, and in general people tend to be at least a little more focused.

Of course, with only two days it's a little late for working on a group computer project "the right way", so that kinda sucks :-\, but now at least you know how you should be doing it on your next group project! Trust me, you can never have too much documentation about how things work, be that in a separate manual or planning file, or in-code comments. (The average C++ project is at least 22% comments. That means that for every four lines of code you write you should be writing at least one comment line!)

Sources: Friend that I mentioned, several years of general engineering classes that focuses solely "team and group work", a handful of years as a CS major that also included a few group coding projects, and a couple of years helping out with C:DDA (shameless link in my signature below) :P.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 5287 5288 [5289] 5290 5291 ... 11037