Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5283 5284 [5285] 5286 5287 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483650 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79260 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:20 pm »

Did you check the roof?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79261 on: June 18, 2015, 08:22:21 pm »

Started reading an LP of Drakengard.

The only three words that can describe it are What, The, and Fuck.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79262 on: June 18, 2015, 09:01:00 pm »

I remember that game.

It isn't the most disturbing game I've ever played, but it does rank pretty high on the list.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79263 on: June 18, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »

I remember that game.

It isn't the most disturbing game I've ever played, but it does rank pretty high on the list.

At the point I'm reading at (It's the old DarkID one in the LP archive, I have SA archive access and am reading the whole thread), the description given by one commentator "So far, it appears you've been taking control of a mute and murderous sociopath, accompanied by a blind pedophilic monk, an old ink-head and a cannibalistic manic, running around a snow filled desert, slaughtering Pig-cops and midgets and listening to a giant dragon telling you about your sister's apetite for your cock." This seems quite accurate, and the thread assures that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

You know a game that tops this?
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79264 on: June 18, 2015, 09:45:00 pm »

Yess, I read a screenshot LP of it fairly recently.  Such excellent and reliable WTF.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79265 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:35 pm »

Apparently vocaloid live concerts are a thing.

Kinda surreal to watch. Probably the uncanny valley effect. Or maybe it just makes me cringe because it can have brightly colored animu cg girls standing next to real people made of meat. Like here.

Man, you didn't even pick one with good angles and sound quality:P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79266 on: June 18, 2015, 09:52:33 pm »

I remember that game.

At the point I'm reading at (It's the old DarkID one in the LP archive, I have SA archive access and am reading the whole thread), the description given by one commentator "So far, it appears you've been taking control of a mute and murderous sociopath, accompanied by a blind pedophilic monk, an old ink-head and a cannibalistic manic, running around a snow filled desert, slaughtering Pig-cops and midgets and listening to a giant dragon telling you about your sister's apetite for your cock." This seems quite accurate, and the thread assures that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

You know a game that tops this?

Huh, pretty sure the mute wasn't pedophilic, but instead had a massive martyr complex resulting from the death of his younger siblings. He stabbed himself in the throat because a pixie taunted him to do it, then made a pact with it to survive shortly after. In the sequel he's stated as spending his life in the aftermath of Drakengard being nice to kids as far as I remember.

The elderly priest sacrificed his hair as part of his pact and is one of the most evil pricks in the game when you get right down to what the seals are. F*ck you baldy, f*ck you.

By cannibalistic maniac I assume you mean the elf? I don't recall her being cannibalistic, but she did have an obsession with murdering children. Something to do with her going mad after her kids were killed by the 'Evil Empire' and her womb being sacrificed as part of her pact with a pair of elemental spirits.

Caim is almost a sociopath but not quite from what I recall, he cares about his sister and his friend. He also softens up a lot as the game progresses and he stops hating the dragon so much. Though yeah, his sister wants to bang him. Depending on how things go as you play the game one scene can either have her killed by the BEG or kill herself rather than confess her incestuous desires.

The endings are all pretty messed up. Very messed up really... Incredibly messed up in fact. I'll avoid spoiling it though. Though I will say that the BBEG is a 6 year old girl.

Honestly though the game never really made me go WTF that much, I found The Darkness, in which you watch the main character's girlfriend get her brains blown out in front of you while you're restrained by the darkness from before creation and get a drill used to turn your skull into a colander, F.E.A.R and a few others more WTF inducing and more creepy. Hell, Bioshock creeped me out more, what with implanting sea slugs into brainwashed little girls to make an immortality drug that gave you horrible cancers and let you shoot bees from your veins.

Oh, and F.E.A.R. 2, which ends with you getting raped by a psychic ghost woman. Who may or may not have been a teenager, I forget. That made me go WTF.

Drakengard 2 was, oddly, less weird than the original, despite the main character being dragon jesus.

I think I'm just resistant to WTF though, I can't really think of much that's actually made me go WTF properly. Might be a result of spending my childhood reading a book series that can be summed up with 'the main character's best friend/caretaker gets eaten alive in front of him in the first book, and it gets darker from there.'
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:59:49 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79267 on: June 18, 2015, 09:59:31 pm »

FEAR is tops when it comes to fucked up shit paired with solid gameplay.

3. Run Resize Enable

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79268 on: June 18, 2015, 10:01:20 pm »

FEAR is tops when it comes to fucked up shit paired with solid gameplay.

F.E.A.R. was pretty messed up.

'As part of our supersoldier program we've impregnated the living apocalypse we keep imprisoned in a psy-damping tank, the fact she's a 13 year old girl in no way dissuades us from doing so.'
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79269 on: June 18, 2015, 10:05:48 pm »

Armachan wasn't even competent, either. If it was possible to fuck something up, they did.

3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79270 on: June 18, 2015, 10:12:38 pm »

Blind monk dude is totes a pedophile, according to the Japanese version of Drakengard. Fortunately he's the relatively harmless sort.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79271 on: June 18, 2015, 10:13:32 pm »

Huh, pretty sure the mute wasn't pedophilic, but instead had a massive martyr complex resulting from the death of his younger siblings. He stabbed himself in the throat because a pixie taunted him to do it, then made a pact with it to survive shortly after. In the sequel he's stated as spending his life in the aftermath of Drakengard being nice to kids as far as I remember.

The elderly priest sacrificed his hair as part of his pact and is one of the most evil pricks in the game when you get right down to what the seals are. F*ck you baldy, f*ck you.

The mute is Caim -  the supposed pedo is the blind guy, and was censored in the US version. In the Japanese version he only survived the slaughter of his brothers because he went off into the woods for some "alone time" about it.

By cannibalistic maniac I assume you mean the elf? I don't recall her being cannibalistic, but she did have an obsession with murdering children. Something to do with her going mad after her kids were killed by the 'Evil Empire' and her womb being sacrificed as part of her pact with a pair of elemental spirits.
When you meet her, she asks for children, who are "so sweet". When informed that they've all been evacuated, she declares that "an adult will do" and starts chewing on Caim.

Honestly though the game never really made me go WTF that much, I found The Darkness, in which you watch the main character's girlfriend get her brains blown out in front of you while you're restrained by the darkness from before creation and get a drill used to turn your skull into a colander, F.E.A.R and a few others more WTF inducing and more creepy. Hell, Bioshock creeped me out more, what with implanting sea slugs into brainwashed little girls to make an immortality drug that gave you horrible cancers and let you shoot bees from your veins.

Oh, and F.E.A.R. 2, which ends with you getting raped by a psychic ghost woman. Who may or may not have been a teenager, I forget. That made me go WTF.

Drakengard 2 was, oddly, less weird than the original, despite the main character being dragon jesus.

I think I'm just resistant to WTF though, I can't really think of much that's actually made me go WTF properly. Might be a result of spending my childhood reading a book series that can be summed up with 'the main character's best friend/caretaker gets eaten alive in front of him in the first book, and it gets darker from there.'

Never played the F.E.A.R games, and I've never even heard of The Darkness. Bioshock just seemed like "eh. Libertarian Mad Scientists did what? Seems expected." (Honestly, all I wanted to do in that game was escape Rapture and return to torpedo the place).

What book series is that? It sounds awfully familiar.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79272 on: June 18, 2015, 10:17:48 pm »

What book series is that? It sounds awfully familiar.

The Edge Chronicles.

It's been years since I last played Drakengard, since I was 14 I think, between having the censored version and never getting quite all the scenes revealed (so many damn criteria to meet to unlock all of them) and never being arsed to do more than a cursory search for what the censors cut out I'm surprised at how much I actually know and remember of Drakengard. Kind of annoyed with myself for saying mute in the above post when I meant the blind man though.

I do remember a scene with the elf (Arioch I think she was called?) hacking at the bodies of some dead children while Caim watches from a short distance away.

EDIT: I do remember one thing that's kind of creepy about a game called Bladestorm if you know the historical context of one character. One of the French noblemen, who serves as a major NPC and is supposed to be a close comrade of the PC if they side with France and save Joan of Arc, is portrayed as being a bit of a dick, but largely a nice and honorable man who learns the value of friendship by the end of the game.

In real life he apparently sexually assaulted and murdered young peasant girls. He kept their heads in secret compartments in his room. My brother informed me of this after looking into some of the nobility that are in the game and has since sworn to never side with the French in that game again.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:26:14 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79273 on: June 18, 2015, 10:21:11 pm »

I do enjoy Arioch's ironic death in the Tokyo Ending though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #79274 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »

sealystar--

On the contrary, it's supposed to point out that audiophiles complaining about compressed audio are being asshats.
Here's there followup article.
www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/09/412271433/audio-quality-quiz-results-you-did-slightly-better-than-guessing-randomly

The result? aggregate, users scored only slightly better than choosing randomly.

Personally I find that even 128kbps is really unnecessary and generally rip everything at 64kbps to save drive space
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5283 5284 [5285] 5286 5287 ... 11037