Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5282 5283 [5284] 5285 5286 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481916 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79245 on: June 18, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »

Thats the way reporting is supposed to be. You arent supposed to have to filter for spin or bias with properly made reporting.

The premise of the article was "Hey, this big name artist is starting a service offering streaming uncompressed audio for a premium price tag-- do you think it is worth it? Here, have a test to see if you can really tell the difference!"

The numbers say that for 80% of users, it's not worth the money.

I call shenanigans on the selected tracks though. They should NOT have selected tracks that contain compressed audio in all 3 samples.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79246 on: June 18, 2015, 07:13:54 pm »

Today I discovered vaporwave.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79247 on: June 18, 2015, 07:15:24 pm »

UNPOSSIBLE!  By definition, you can NEVER find vaporware!

(Only the HYPE!)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79248 on: June 18, 2015, 07:19:25 pm »

(Only the HYPE!)
It's all in your head.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79249 on: June 18, 2015, 07:24:20 pm »

sealystar--

On the contrary, it's supposed to point out that audiophiles complaining about compressed audio are being asshats.
Here's there followup article.
www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/09/412271433/audio-quality-quiz-results-you-did-slightly-better-than-guessing-randomly

The result? aggregate, users scored only slightly better than choosing randomly.
I think that those that complain about compressed audio are more likely to have high quality sound systems that are more capable of displaying the difference between compressed and non-compressed, while everyone else that just uses whatever crappy audio system that came with their laptop or 20$ apple headphones (which is the vast majority of users).

I know that on my computer (with my speakers) I wouldn't be any better then random, but if I actually cared and had a good soundsystem then I might be able to.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79250 on: June 18, 2015, 07:26:44 pm »

Apparently vocaloid live concerts are a thing.

Kinda surreal to watch. Probably the uncanny valley effect. Or maybe it just makes me cringe because it can have brightly colored animu cg girls standing next to real people made of meat. Like here.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79251 on: June 18, 2015, 07:28:45 pm »

(Only the HYPE!)
It's all in your head.

DAMN YOU, I WAS ACTUALLY DRINKING CHERRY PEPSI WHEN I CLICKED THAT!

(and I kept waiting for there be a blade runner bumper. So much 80s commercial in there.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79252 on: June 18, 2015, 07:29:54 pm »

Kinda surreal to watch. Probably the uncanny valley effect. Or maybe it just makes me cringe because it can have brightly colored animu cg girls standing next to real people made of meat. Like here.

What? How?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79253 on: June 18, 2015, 07:32:52 pm »

Probably the same way you have a Daft Punk live concert.

Considering that BOTH are technologically synthesized vocals and samples.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79254 on: June 18, 2015, 07:35:30 pm »

But Hatsune Miku isn't even a real person on stage. It's a rendering of a pretend person. It's way into uncanny valley territory, for me anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79255 on: June 18, 2015, 07:39:04 pm »

True.  The holography they have on stage there is pretty neat though. Too bad they use it on some creepy anime girl avatar instead of some more interesting subject matter.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #79256 on: June 18, 2015, 07:40:45 pm »

What? How?

while I was skimming over this info, it mentioned a big glass cube which I guess is used for the projections and light. The cube can be seen in both videos I linked. So I guess that's part of it.

The vocaloid itself is probably just a preanimated figure that all the live actors choreograph themselves to during the concert. Don't know if the vocaloid is singing "live" or if it's prerecorded. Not sure that matters, considering it's a vocaloid, which is all about voice synthesizers anyway.

While on this topic, I predict Japan will eventually have j-pop girl groups full of nothing but vocaloids. They have the technology, they have popular j-pop idol groups of 100s of girls, it seems a logical next step.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79257 on: June 18, 2015, 07:44:18 pm »

Hey, I think they're not too far off from having the coding and assets and whatnot for the boys, too. Just think, literally automated boy band production! And imagine how much easier the PR would be with a pre-programmed digital group compared to a living band. No scandals that aren't specifically intended! No getting old unless you want them to, and you can turn back the clock as you please! It's like a manager's dream, I'd say.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79258 on: June 18, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »

Oh trust me, there would be scandals.

"Vocaboyz360 concert stuns audience as expected choreographed digital music AI group suddenly turns X rated featuring bizzare japanese youkai demons and tentacles live on stage."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79259 on: June 18, 2015, 07:47:19 pm »

Our portapotty has vanished. The company we rent it from claims no involvement. Maybe someone stole our toilet? O.o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 5282 5283 [5284] 5285 5286 ... 11037