Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5255 5256 [5257] 5258 5259 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494069 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78840 on: June 12, 2015, 09:47:37 am »

Did somebody say eating babies?

Short story: the baby-eating aliens.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78841 on: June 12, 2015, 10:18:19 am »

Ahhh, Less Wrong, aka More Crazy. People there once said that torturing a single person for 50 years can be acceptable if it means that a sufficiently high number of people won't get a single dust speck in their eyes.
._.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78842 on: June 12, 2015, 10:25:16 am »

Sometimes I try to put my skirt over top of my sweatpants without realizing it. Fashion statement, or fashioner statement?
I'm trying to imagine someone dressed like that and it's fantastic.
Considering dorky girls are my thing, I agree without a hint of irony

I don't see what's wrong with this. Something like extra-thick stockings or something.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #78843 on: June 12, 2015, 10:27:26 am »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:19:04 am by penguinofhonor »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78844 on: June 12, 2015, 10:31:01 am »

Ahhh, Less Wrong, aka More Crazy. People there once said that torturing a single person for 50 years can be acceptable if it means that a sufficiently high number of people won't get a single dust speck in their eyes.

Even though their utilitarianism can get a bit... Extreme at times, it still a good site with a lot of very interesting articles. Even if you don't agree with all of it, it makes you think and reconsider, which is good!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78845 on: June 12, 2015, 10:51:52 am »

Even though their utilitarianism can get a bit... Extreme at times, it still a good site with a lot of very interesting articles. Even if you don't agree with all of it, it makes you think and reconsider, which is good!
Their articles are written in a style that's designed to make them incomprehensible due to the excessive amount of words and specific terminology that only they use. There are sites that can explain same things, but much, much better.
._.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78846 on: June 12, 2015, 10:53:49 am »

Their articles are written in a style that's designed to make them incomprehensible due to the excessive amount of words and specific terminology that only they use. There are sites that can explain same things, but much, much better.

In that case, care to show them to me?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78847 on: June 12, 2015, 11:04:51 am »

http://rationalwiki.org/

Bonus points: Yudkowsky (the guy behind the LessWrong) hates this site, for some inane reason.
._.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78848 on: June 12, 2015, 11:08:17 am »

Bonus points: Yudkowsky (the guy behind the LessWrong) hates this site, for some inane reason.
Oh, I know that site as well, it's also interesting! But there's stuff on less wrong that's not really covered there (far as I know), so I'd say it's a good idea to use them side by side. They have a different style, for sure, but I wouldn't put one as strictly superior over the other.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #78849 on: June 12, 2015, 11:28:06 am »

Seriously? Of all the sites, rationalwiki? These guys are for the most part the opposite but equal of conservapedia, almost by design. And in some cases, painfully, painfully euphoric.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78850 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:00 am »

Hey, I wasn't saying that they're good, just that they were better than Less Wrong at explaining things. Which isn't saying much, I know.
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78851 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:37 am »

RationalWiki is hard tack on both transhumanism and the singularity (it calls the latter a religion and the former like a religion, as I recall), as well as being critical of the credentials of many big name futurists.

I don't care much for the singularity or Yudkowsky, but I am most certainly a transhumanist, and RationalWiki has been getting steadily more SJW as time has passed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #78852 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:55 am »

Seriously? Of all the sites, rationalwiki? These guys are for the most part the opposite but equal of conservapedia, almost by design. And in some cases, painfully, painfully euphoric.
In this moment
4u

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78853 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:58 am »

You can usually spot the more... Radical articles quickly though, and just ignore those.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78854 on: June 12, 2015, 11:37:16 am »

Knowing both of these sites, RationalWiki can't shake a fraction of a line at Less Wrong. RW is maintained by amateur intellectuals who still think that trawling the internet for stupid people and debunking them one by one is a good way to spend their time. Because that's about all they're doing, really.

Less Wrong, on the other hand, is a site actually dedicated to helping people use their brains to maximum capacity, by pointing out all the parts where your brain is doing something it could be doing better. The site literally makes you more intelligent.

Comparing these, I totally understand and agree with Yudkowsky's opinion of RationalWiki. And if you don't understand all the terms in the Less Wrong articles, there is a suggested reading order which you could be using.
Pages: 1 ... 5255 5256 [5257] 5258 5259 ... 11037