Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5228 5229 [5230] 5231 5232 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14491079 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78435 on: June 05, 2015, 01:38:43 am »

Apparently Tennessee is reintroducing cursive writing to its grade school cirriculum, and not to the history cirriculum either. I can't imagine any situation in which a person would need to know this; granted there are still a lot of situations in which people are expected to sign their names in cursive, but if we keep humoring them this outmoded practice will never be phased out (cursive signitures that is, cursive itself has already been phased out most other places). The only time somebody should be learning cursive in school is if they're a college student majoring in history who will need to be reading a lot of old documents.

I
You mean like the constitution, the bill of rights and other historical documents?

There's plenty of reprints of the constitution in post-quill lettering.

On wikisource, for example:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_states_constitution
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:53:09 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78436 on: June 05, 2015, 01:57:34 am »

Apparently Tennessee is reintroducing cursive writing to its grade school cirriculum, and not to the history cirriculum either. I can't imagine any situation in which a person would need to know this; granted there are still a lot of situations in which people are expected to sign their names in cursive, but if we keep humoring them this outmoded practice will never be phased out (cursive signitures that is, cursive itself has already been phased out most other places). The only time somebody should be learning cursive in school is if they're a college student majoring in history who will need to be reading a lot of old documents.

I
You mean like the constitution, the bill of rights and other historical documents?

._.
I learned cursive in grade school and I found it fancy and useful, and it helps my {atrocious} handwriting in print!
And...we still use cursive.

Also I'm unsure why one would remove a method of handwriting when said method has useful qualities...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78437 on: June 05, 2015, 02:06:05 am »

I

._.
I learned cursive in grade school and I found it fancy and useful, and it helps my {atrocious} handwriting in print!

I don't think I've ever encountered anyone else whose handwriting was worse in print than it was in cursive. At most someone's printing would only be slightly better instead of much better.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78438 on: June 05, 2015, 02:13:34 am »

I don't think I've ever encountered anyone else whose handwriting was worse in print than it was in cursive. At most someone's printing would only be slightly better instead of much better.
Hello Bohandas, I am Tiruin. It is very nice to meet you! :)

:P
I'll get a picture uploaded someday.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #78439 on: June 05, 2015, 02:18:30 am »

Yep, I print worse than I script as well.

[insert programming pun]
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78440 on: June 05, 2015, 02:24:52 am »

I meant anyone other than you (ie, the observation didn't include me)

EDIT:
And apparently IcyTea31 as well

EDIT:
Hello
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:03:46 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #78441 on: June 05, 2015, 04:00:35 am »

I already have your picture though!
Spoiler: Arachnophobia warning (click to show/hide)

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #78442 on: June 05, 2015, 04:16:41 am »

Put me down as a third, though they're both kinda hard to read.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78443 on: June 05, 2015, 04:41:23 am »

What's it with anglophones and cursive? Everybody I know writes cursive, because it's way faster and more comfortable than block type. Obviously, comprehensibility suffers, but we're used to it. When did you guys stop writing in cursive, and why?
As the self-appointed high priest of typography, cursive is the tool of calligraphers and calligraphers are EVIL
You've never seen Russian cursive. It's like somebody falling 23 floors onto a garden fence. Well, unless you're a calligrapher, but then you're trying too hard.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78444 on: June 05, 2015, 05:07:30 am »

I can do cursive legibly and print illegibly.

The reason is just because of time. I don't hand-write unless it's something really important.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78445 on: June 05, 2015, 05:15:54 am »

What's it with anglophones and cursive? Everybody I know writes cursive, because it's way faster and more comfortable than block type. Obviously, comprehensibility suffers, but we're used to it. When did you guys stop writing in cursive, and why?
As the self-appointed high priest of typography, cursive is the tool of calligraphers and calligraphers are EVIL
You've never seen Russian cursive. It's like somebody falling 23 floors onto a garden fence. Well, unless you're a calligrapher, but then you're trying too hard.

wrought iron fence, if it is to be noted; having one's face fucked with a rudimentary implement constructed of rebar used in lieu of a sledgehammer is also an adequate description

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78446 on: June 05, 2015, 07:41:53 am »

I saw a dude earlier wearing a ski mask for warmth. As opposed to robbing a bank. It actually made me kinda happy; there's such a negative stigma against the poor old ski mask and balaclava.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78447 on: June 05, 2015, 08:03:24 am »

I saw a dude earlier wearing a ski mask for warmth. As opposed to robbing a bank. It actually made me kinda happy; there's such a negative stigma against the poor old ski mask and balaclava.

I used to wear a ski mask for fun, and usually folded it up so it looked like an ordinary woolen hat. Broke it out occasionally for novelty's sake. But then came the 20 degrees below zero days, and it... didn't really help all that much, it just arrested the humidity of my breath and made it partially ice up at the front, and was also kind of itchy. And the mouth hole tended to leave an impression on my forehead when it was folded like a hat.

It's not as bad if you fall face-first into snow with it, though, I'll give it that, even if it gets wet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #78448 on: June 05, 2015, 08:08:14 am »

Woke up this morning with a strange desire to make a Wide Open Sandbox game set in 1770's Boston called High Treason. I think I've had too much GTA V on the brain lately.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78449 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:39 am »

Woke up this morning with a strange desire to make a Wide Open Sandbox game set in 1770's Boston called High Treason. I think I've had too much GTA V on the brain lately.

Will there be a miniquest to pull horseshoe nails from paul revere's horse?
Pages: 1 ... 5228 5229 [5230] 5231 5232 ... 11037