Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5224 5225 [5226] 5227 5228 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492225 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78375 on: June 04, 2015, 03:54:48 am »

Curse you, automated monthly payment! Why must you withdraw money on a Thursday?!
The weekend is the time of week when I actually need my money. There goes my carefully-planned budget. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78376 on: June 04, 2015, 05:22:54 am »

Japan passed a new law today, after it's ministry of infrastructure had a long meeting with elevator manufacturers:

Henceforth, elevators in Japan will have to be fitted with toilets, and drinking water.
A recent earthquake, which trapped a bunch of people in elevators, prompted the government to do a research into the subject of earthquakes and elevators. Learning from experience with previous earthquakes around the world, that large earthquakes can have people trapped in elevators for days, they decided that to be better prepared for a large earthquake in urban areas, fitting elevators with toilets and drinking water, and perhaps even seats for the elderly, is needed.

LOL

I can see the maintnance sign
"Dear tenant. Because we are renovating the elevators to be compliant with new legislature, we want to inform you that for the coming 5 months, the elevators will be out of order. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience having to walk the 80 floors to your appartment for a few months might cause. Regards, your landlord"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:26:25 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78377 on: June 04, 2015, 05:27:15 am »

Tesco has this weird social media thing going on. They'll just engage people but for no reason, taking part in some not very dank memes, stuff like that. Is this what Social Media Engineers (or whatever the title for that is, idk) do all day? Because that sounds like a more than alright job.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78378 on: June 04, 2015, 05:28:07 am »

Japan passed a new law today, after it's ministry of infrastructure had a long meeting with elevator manufacturers:

Henceforth, elevators in Japan will have to be fitted with toilets, and drinking water.
A recent earthquake, which trapped a bunch of people in elevators, prompted the government to do a research into the subject of earthquakes and elevators. Learning from experience with previous earthquakes around the world, that large earthquakes can have people trapped in elevators for days, they decided that to be better prepared for a large earthquake in urban areas, fitting elevators with toilets and drinking water, and perhaps even seats for the elderly, is needed.

Imagine if that eventually became a standard thing in the western world as well.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #78379 on: June 04, 2015, 05:37:17 am »

A few emergency water bottles and a first aid kit I would understand, seats too, but an actual toilet, plumbing and all? And consider that if a calamity breaks the elevator, it also likely breaks the toilet. How does that make any sense?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78380 on: June 04, 2015, 05:48:03 am »

A few emergency water bottles and a first aid kit I would understand, seats too, but an actual toilet, plumbing and all? And consider that if a calamity breaks the elevator, it also likely breaks the toilet. How does that make any sense?
It's Japan, it doesn't make sense.
._.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78381 on: June 04, 2015, 05:48:21 am »

It'd probably be more cost-effective just to have a bucket in the elevator rather than a toilet, methinks.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78382 on: June 04, 2015, 05:56:16 am »

But muh privacy! If one can't even shit discreetly in the comfort of a public elevator, we might as well start taking the stairs.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78383 on: June 04, 2015, 06:04:26 am »

It's Japan, it doesn't make sense.

Assuming that the only time the toilet is accessible is during an emergency, so it's a sort of one-use toilet with a storage container, which is probably completely removable for cleaning. So it would not be like a toilet with external plumbing at all.

The most effective way to construct this would be a plastic bin inside a wall compartment, or that you can extract from inside the ceiling of the elevator, that has a plastic seat you can place over the top (and a lid that closes), so a sort of disposable bedchamber.  just a seat with a hole on folding metal legs with bags that attach underneath would be the ideal way to construct a portable toilet for an elevator. Then the bags could ziplock and be crammed back into the wall compartment to avoid the smell.

Thus it would only be full of shit/piss if there are people trapped in there. In a sudden catastrophe there would be no "contents" to spill. Also, if you're worried that people might fill it while trapped, then another earthquake tremor explodes the toilet, where do you think they'd be shitting and pissing otherwise? They would have to shit and piss on the floor inside the elevator, thus the presence of the toilet hasn't caused any specific issues.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:08:31 am by Reelya »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78384 on: June 04, 2015, 06:07:02 am »

I imagine it would be the kind of toilet you find in a caravan, with a small septic tank to empty into.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78385 on: June 04, 2015, 06:20:58 am »

I imagine it would be the kind of toilet you find in a caravan, with a small septic tank to empty into.

That was kind of my thought as well.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78386 on: June 04, 2015, 06:54:02 am »

They could just make a hatch in the floor of the elevator too.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78387 on: June 04, 2015, 06:55:38 am »

In all fairness... Earthquakes are VERY common in Japan.

They are just about daily occurrences (or rather... they are)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #78388 on: June 04, 2015, 07:14:59 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:20:40 pm by penguinofhonor »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78389 on: June 04, 2015, 07:27:54 am »

The last one got people trapped in 14 elevators and it took 70 minutes to get them all out. They're afraid that if there's a worse earthquake people could be trapped for longer and one of them would be the Devil.

Don't worry though, Satan for only likes killing evil people.
Pages: 1 ... 5224 5225 [5226] 5227 5228 ... 11037