Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5222 5223 [5224] 5225 5226 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493266 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78345 on: June 03, 2015, 06:38:16 pm »

my signature is mostly normal except that I make a dotted/crossed vertical line instead of "it" to save space

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78346 on: June 03, 2015, 07:03:52 pm »

I think you're missing the point. Trans people have a history of oppression from cis people. Gay people have a history of oppression from straight people. Women have a history of oppression from men. People of color have a history of oppression from white people.
It's not just that you can't have a trans woman being played by a cis man because, well, he's not a trans woman. What, does that mean you can't play an 18th century French aristocrat because you aren't an 18th century French aristocrat? It's because of several other reasons. For one, these roles have been used to degrade the people they portray for decades. For another, there are plenty of gay or trans or black or Arab or female actors that don't get work because a white cishet male was chosen instead. It's already hard for them to find roles to fill and now you're taking away the roles they can fill.
And if they're a worse actor?

Don't read in to that saying they're all worse actors. But if of the X number of people who audition for a role, and the best one is a white straight guy should he be discounted in favour of someone else? Is it still offensive if he's the best actor for the role among them? The notion you shouldn't be allowed to play a certain role because of your skin colour or orientation seems backwards, whichever direction it comes from.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #78347 on: June 03, 2015, 07:09:42 pm »

The notion you shouldn't be allowed to play a certain role because of your skin colour or orientation seems backwards, whichever direction it comes from.
Fuckin' this. If somebody were excluded on the basis of being trans (or whatever), that would be wrong for obvious reasons, but making it a requirement for the role is wrong for the same reasons, and institutionalizes typecasting to boot.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78348 on: June 03, 2015, 07:14:53 pm »

I think you're missing the point. Trans people have a history of oppression from cis people. Gay people have a history of oppression from straight people. Women have a history of oppression from men. People of color have a history of oppression from white people.
It's not just that you can't have a trans woman being played by a cis man because, well, he's not a trans woman. It's because of several other reasons. For one, these roles have been used to degrade the people they portray for decades. For another, there are plenty of gay or trans or black or Arab or female actors that don't get work because a white cishet male was chosen instead. It's already hard for them to find roles to fill and now you're taking away the roles they can fill.
I'm honestly not sure how to respond to this(which is why it has taken so long to get this far). I have no practical experience being oppressed but some on oppressing others and not enough information. I also used to believe that 2 wrongs made a right and was willing to be enslaved because of my skin color to make one. I no longer believe such.

For example the most similar case I can think of are roles that call for someone to be ugly(they aren't meant to be hated) and the person cast isn't even fucking close. So I guess I can't extrapolate whether they aren't getting roles because of [insert x cause/reason] and whether they are justified not getting those roles for that reason.

This is pretty much the mind state I was coming from.
The notion you shouldn't be allowed to play a certain role because of your skin colour or orientation seems backwards, whichever direction it comes from.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78349 on: June 03, 2015, 07:26:04 pm »

The thing is... well I'll put it like this

People oppress eachother. For every glass ceiling there is also a sticky floor

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78350 on: June 03, 2015, 07:26:38 pm »

Fuckin' this. If somebody were excluded on the basis of being trans (or whatever), that would be wrong for obvious reasons, but making it a requirement for the role is wrong for the same reasons, and institutionalizes typecasting to boot.

The film industry is allowed to say that it prefers men/asians/whatever because there are a lot of cases where nothing else would make sense. It wouldn't make much sense to cast a black woman to play, say, Oda Nobunaga, no matter how good an actress she is. Writing better characters is one thing, but shoehorning people in who don't fit a role in the name of diversity is just silly. In most cases it doesn't really make sense to discriminate, but the exception is there for a reason.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #78351 on: June 03, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »

... man, what the hell is up with Blue Dragon's thematic elements. This thing's mood whiplashes like it's going out of gorram style. Mass murder, biowarfare, torture, possible rape, what amounts to human sacrifice, the slow death of dozens (fast death of many dozens more), just this freaking list of what the hell going on and then you've got poo monsters, the art style (which, being fair, seems to be slowly descending into near-horror), toribo, and a cast of main characters which is half brain damaged plucky!idiot and almost all adolescent.

The writing for this game confuses me. It's like someone took your average Dragon Quest style game and tried to paint it with rusty razor blades but couldn't really get them to stick in right.

"But my whole family is frozen. I want to go outside and die with them." <--- Actual line from the game. It's basically hilarious absurdity at this point.

Though baff, if a black woman can play Oda better than anyone else that shows up to audition, she should get to play Oda. If skin color is an issue or whatev', we've got freaking incredible makeup these days. Or CG! We've got mad skillz these days, and getting better.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:34:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78352 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:14 pm »

If chinese cartoons can make Nobunaga a blonde little girl, his role can damn well be acted by a black woman too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #78353 on: June 03, 2015, 08:25:10 pm »

... man, what the hell is up with Blue Dragon's thematic elements. This thing's mood whiplashes like it's going out of gorram style. Mass murder, biowarfare, torture, possible rape, what amounts to human sacrifice, the slow death of dozens (fast death of many dozens more), just this freaking list of what the hell going on and then you've got poo monsters, the art style (which, being fair, seems to be slowly descending into near-horror), toribo, and a cast of main characters which is half brain damaged plucky!idiot and almost all adolescent.

The writing for this game confuses me. It's like someone took your average Dragon Quest style game and tried to paint it with rusty razor blades but couldn't really get them to stick in right.

"But my whole family is frozen. I want to go outside and die with them." <--- Actual line from the game. It's basically hilarious absurdity at this point.

Though baff, if a black woman can play Oda better than anyone else that shows up to audition, she should get to play Oda. If skin color is an issue or whatev', we've got freaking incredible makeup these days. Or CG! We've got mad skillz these days, and getting better.
Wasn't Blue Dragon literally made by purposefully smashing together as many JRPG cliches as they could into a single package?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #78354 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:24 pm »

No clue whatsoever. I'm just watching a playthrough because at this point the trainwreck is thorough and I can't look away ;_;

If I had to describe it, I'd describe it as a JRPG that has no idea what it is, and is attempting an experiment to see just how many quick time events you can put in a game before people stop playing.

... I've actually noticed that in a few other of these longplay things I've been gandering at. It's like someone in the interim years since I've actually owned a console has looked at Legend of Dragoon's battle system and went, "Yeah, I want me some of that."

Instead of properly running screaming towards the hills. Blue Dragon is basically "Charge Bar, the Game."
 Why did these people not realize you can just make the damn thing a slider and have all of the mechanical depth with none of the mechanical assholery? Why?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:40:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78355 on: June 03, 2015, 08:36:34 pm »

...no two signatures of mine look alike.

Same here
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78356 on: June 03, 2015, 08:52:33 pm »

I wouldn't be offended by Big Bang Theory if they didn't make jokes about autistic people so often. It's fine for neurotypical people to play autistic characters, but Sheldon just acts like a stereotype.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #78357 on: June 03, 2015, 08:53:44 pm »

@blue dragon talk

I actually thought Blue Dragon's combat was pretty neat. Could multiclass your characters however you wanted, could use the charge bar system to specify what turn you wanted who to attack when, stuff like that. Found it more fun than bog standard "your turn, you attack, their turn, they attack, and repeat."

Wound up making my three melee characters a mix of monks and assassins so they all had multi-attacks (assassin) that charged naturally (monk) for more damage. Also I think they could attack all enemies in a row. Been years since I played. And my two mages were basically multiclassing as both the healer (white mage) and dps (black mage). So if I needed heals, one could heal while the other dealt damage, or both could heal, or both could damage, depending on what was needed.

It was so good (read: stupid op) that combat became trivial slogging through random encounters of enemy mobs. Became pretty boring to play apart from boss battles, so I lost interest.

Was worth the 6 dollars I paid for it though. :v
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78358 on: June 03, 2015, 08:55:10 pm »

@bbt

apparently sheldon isn't supposed to be autistic

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #78359 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:54 pm »

... so apparently the Game of Thrones lost a special effects editor to... a lion. Couple days ago. Killed on a wildlife preserve in africa when some idiot opened a car window. Helluva' way to go.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 5222 5223 [5224] 5225 5226 ... 11037