Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5212 5213 [5214] 5215 5216 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493975 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78195 on: June 02, 2015, 08:35:19 am »

Well, somebody is going to have to upgrade to Windows 10 and tell the rest of us how it goes for them.

I volunteer Aklyon. All in favour?
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78196 on: June 02, 2015, 08:56:59 am »

I'll be upgrading

I already have the tech preview installed, but it's not complete enough to really want to use it, so I'll upgrade.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78197 on: June 02, 2015, 08:57:42 am »

Why do we even need all these new and strange OS's any way?
That you ask this reveals why you do not understand nor use Linux.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #78198 on: June 02, 2015, 08:58:48 am »

*As always, please no quoting, thank you*

Finally got rid of yet another annoying and unfounded complaint against me. Can't give many details, but yeah. Had MANY complaints against me; and not a single one decided against me (all thrown out).

I tell everyone they are stuck with their spouse for life, and that even if they divorced them, they'd still be a presence no matter what. Kids, splitting assets and liabilities, splitting benefits like retirement, child support, spousal support, paying for two places to live instead of one, etc, etc, etc.

Naturally, people don't listen, which is why I put it all down in writing. It's been a year and a half since this complaint against me got filed, and I haven't even done a divorce in maybe 20 months or so anyhow. Blah, blah blah, I get blamed when it all goes sideways, exactly as I said it would, and he did it himself without me doing crap for him by the way.

After 18 months of this hanging over my head, I'm finally clear of all of it. Should've never happened in the first place.

This is why I say two things to all people:

1.) Don't become a lawyer in the United States, and
2.) Don't get divorced if you can help it / be VERY careful who you marry.

Just like doctors leaving the broken medical profession when we need more good ones, many are leaving the broken legal profession as well. I guess the question is, if we used to aspire to be doctors and lawyers, then what do we aspire to be now that it's not so great being those things?

*As always, please no quoting, thank you*
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #78199 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:09 am »

Well, somebody is going to have to upgrade to Windows 10 and tell the rest of us how it goes for them.

I volunteer Aklyon. All in favour?
Technically I do have a laptop I could let it mess with (and a brother who wants to try it anyway for basically no reason), but its a whole year of potential install time. I'm waiting until next june or so, that'll give MS plenty of time to fix its inevitable launch problems. This desktop's staying put though, as much as i like free gifts I like the thing that is already working for me better.

Also GO: Click the little 3 dashes thing in the corner of the window, then click on check confirmation I think. Theres a button on that screen to unreserve it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78200 on: June 02, 2015, 09:07:56 am »

I'll be honest, my fear about W10 isn't based on possible UI issues so much as how much Microsoft steps up the creeping on you level compared to 7. I mean, the world being what it is they'll obvious step it up some but I wanna know the degree.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78201 on: June 02, 2015, 09:33:43 am »

Windows vista and windows 7 dont have a VDM. That's why you cant run dos software in them.

NT4, Win2000, and WinXP had a special operations wrapper called NTVDM.EXE  VDM stands for Virtual Dos Machine.

Rather than a full emulator, which is what dosbox is, it was an API wrapper and memory access thunking engine that was used to enable 16bit windows applications and dos applications to run in 32bit protected mode without jumping operating modes of the CPU, basically.

It was HYPER MINIMALIST though-- It could NOT run games well at all out of the box.  It did not expose a vesa video interface, so most games couldnt display graphics at better than modeX-- and it did NOT expose a sound interface-- at all.  It was limited to XMS memory and conventional memory simulations, and could NOT handle Dos4GW type protected mode memory calls. (It would crash the VDM.)

VDMSound did not replace NTVDM.  It augmented it, due to how NTVDM was used by the WOW subsystem to enable win16 on win32 operation. VDMSound sat outside NTVDM, and hooked it like the WOW subsystem did, expanding its capabilities at invocation time.

I could run Duke Nukem 3D in full VESA glory at full speed in both a window and full screen on my 2k machine, for instance.
Huh, wow.  Thanks a lot for explaining this, and the history post.  I really appreciate having a more complete understanding of what was going on.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78202 on: June 02, 2015, 09:40:39 am »

...Why would you even do that in the first place? ???
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78203 on: June 02, 2015, 09:43:37 am »

Oh, well, carry on then.
Just don't forget to re-brush your teeth afterwards.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78204 on: June 02, 2015, 09:45:27 am »

Not a great idea, the acid attacks your teeth, reducing their structural integrity, and your scrubbing then grinds them down.

My WTF: Just read an article in a somewhat respectable German newspaper. It linked to a Buzzfeed article.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78205 on: June 02, 2015, 10:29:43 am »

The saliva(?) slowly remineralizes your teeth. That's why plaque can harden into calculus.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78206 on: June 02, 2015, 10:42:47 am »

"calculus", the mathematics, derives its name from "calculus", the word for "stone."

This is not hard to comprehend why, using stones to keep track of counting is a practice that is very ancient.

In this case, he was referring to calculi, the formed stony bodies that happen when organic tissues or secretions harden and are mineralized into hard insoluble concretions.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #78207 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:50 am »

I'm not sure if it's available where you live, but xylitol chewing gum is specifically designed to stop those acid attacks. It doesn't replace brushing, but it's a gentle cleanup to have after eating.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78208 on: June 02, 2015, 10:48:31 am »

I'm not sure if it's available where you live, but xylitol chewing gum is specifically designed to stop those acid attacks. It doesn't replace brushing, but it's a gentle cleanup to have after eating.
Or you could drink some milk.
I'm not sure if it's available where you live, though.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #78209 on: June 02, 2015, 10:50:25 am »

They're probably correct, but wilfully omit the part where it also damages your teeth in some way (such as by depositing a load of sugar into them)
Nah, xylitol is in fact a sweetener (and a mild laxative, so don't overuse it). Xylitol gum is pretty much always sugar-free, as the sugar would just ruin the effect.

Quick edit: Sauce.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:52:18 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 5212 5213 [5214] 5215 5216 ... 11037