Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5210 5211 [5212] 5213 5214 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494464 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #78165 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:09 pm »

Maybe whoever wrote the achievements has a better sense of humor than the rest of the dev team.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78166 on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:08 pm »

why are units with zero children having every hist figure in the world be their children

that makes literally no sense

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #78167 on: June 01, 2015, 07:42:42 pm »

why are units with zero children having every hist figure in the world be their children

that makes literally no sense
"Who's your father?"
"Celibate McNokids."
"But he had no children."
"Therefore, we are all his children. QED."
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78168 on: June 01, 2015, 08:50:17 pm »

Friend gave me resume to hand in to my work for him.

Resume not spectacular. Work ethics questionable.

Manager thinks it looks good.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78169 on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:08 pm »

I thought windows 10 would be staying a free upgrade from Windows 8 and 7?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #78170 on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:21 pm »

Is this some kind of damage control after 8?
More likely its an attempt to pull people off Win7's reasonably unfucked interface.

Windows 10 uses a start menu, every program can be run in a window, and the interface is functionally identical to Windows 7.

@Japa
Windows 7 and 8 users have one year to upgrade for free.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78171 on: June 01, 2015, 11:05:43 pm »

Is this some kind of damage control after 8?
More likely its an attempt to pull people off Win7's reasonably unfucked interface.

Windows 10 uses a start menu, every program can be run in a window, and the interface is functionally identical to Windows 7.

@Japa
Windows 7 and 8 users have one year to upgrade for free.

How long do Windows 8 and 10 users have to switch to Windows 7?

EDIT:
And why is there no Windows 9?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #78172 on: June 01, 2015, 11:10:13 pm »

Because every second Windows editions sucks, they're trying to skip over the sucky one.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78173 on: June 01, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »

8 was already the sucky one

also, because some goddamn idiots way back in the day checked for the DOS-based windows installs with what amounts to:

Code: [Select]
if OS.version='Windows 9.'
which fits Windows 9 as well as 95 and 98

instead of using the actual stuff included to do that properly

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #78174 on: June 01, 2015, 11:21:36 pm »

I've heard you'll have a year to switch over, from when 10 releases.  As for why there's no 9... hoping to distance themselves from the bad memories?  I don't know, it doesn't really make sense.  Best I've got that is that 8.1 counts as 9, maybe.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78175 on: June 01, 2015, 11:28:29 pm »

The main thing I've hear is that it is a marketting gimmick since 10 is so far ahead in everything it is like it jumped over an entire windows release.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #78176 on: June 01, 2015, 11:44:38 pm »

Because every second Windows editions sucks, they're trying to skip over the sucky one.

But it's the even-numbered ones that suck!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78177 on: June 01, 2015, 11:53:51 pm »

But it's the even-numbered ones that suck!
Pedantically that's not really true, it's closer to every-other-version.  And even that takes a bit of willful interpretation.
But it is funny how about half the versions they release are absolutely awful, especially in the last 15 years or so.
(Jeez, windows 3.1 was released in 92?  That's a lot later than I thought, actually, considering I would have just entered school yet don't remember a time before it.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #78178 on: June 01, 2015, 11:56:19 pm »

Windows 98 didn't suck!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #78179 on: June 02, 2015, 12:04:22 am »

Pedantically that's not really true, it's closer to every-other-version.  And even that takes a bit of willful interpretation.
But it is funny how about half the versions they release are absolutely awful, especially in the last 15 years or so.
(Jeez, windows 3.1 was released in 92?  That's a lot later than I thought, actually, considering I would have just entered school yet don't remember a time before it.)

That's primarily because the "bad" Windows versions tend to be major changes, while the "good" ones are rectifications of the inevitable mistakes. 95 was a completely new interface and design paradigm (for one thing, it was the first Windows that was it's own OS instead of a DOS shell with programs that required it - a major step forward), and was rather unstable and buggy as a result. 98 (especially second edition) took that paradigm and made it work very well. Mistake Edition was an attempt to fully integrate the Internet and media revolutions into Windows, but failed because it was working on an overstressed and outdated Windows 9x core. XP took everything ME added, but used the NT core instead, largely integrating the Professional and Home Windows lines together. Vista was a major overhaul that broke everything, while 7 was Vista done properly. 8 had a decent core idea - make Windows more efficient and run essentially the same OS on all platforms - but wasn't implemented great in the interface department. 10 is (by all I've seen) running with 8's good ideas but taking into account the backlash and better-integrating conventional input methods while still having full support for the newest input (and output, as it's supposed to have support for Microsoft's AR project built in) methodologies.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 5210 5211 [5212] 5213 5214 ... 11037