Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5198 5199 [5200] 5201 5202 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504646 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77985 on: May 30, 2015, 04:14:24 pm »

There's a thread for that, you know? Pretty sure it didn't even get locked, everyone just got bored.
Yeah, that was pretty much what I intended when I made that thread. A place for that sort of debate to die peacefully instead of screaming in agony, a place rife with the morphine that is overly tight rules.

Ninja: That wasn't it. Although mine had a bit of a different focus I admit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77986 on: May 30, 2015, 04:15:04 pm »

There's been multiple threads. They've all been locked.

History repeats.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77987 on: May 30, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »

"If you drink something, drink to forget... And uh..."

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77988 on: May 30, 2015, 04:24:25 pm »

Ehhh I think the topic is over frankly.

A lot of people are just frustrated because school basically crams this down your throat for your entire highschool experience.

As for the non-consent for things like kissing.

I'd HAVE to see that to believe it. There is just no way something like that can pass.

That would make almost half of college women rapists for a start. Those are the figures you get when you ask the college rape study perpetration questions to women: "did you use verbal coercion, drugs or alcohol, threats, or force to secure sexual acts". If a male says "yes" to any of that we'd shout to the hills that it's the smoking gun for rape! Yet about half of college-age women admit to using these tactics to secure sex. On the other hand, asking the victimization questions to college men nets up to 70% who say they've been sexually victimized by a woman.
Not doubting the validity of your info, but can you link a source, please?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77989 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:44 pm »

No problem, this guy has aggregated a lot of the peer-reviewed studies with citations. A good mental exercise is to consider how these statistics would sound if you flipped the genders. If the same evidence says the same thing about both genders, we would need a damn good reason to interpret them differently.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013/09/04/the-startling-facts-on-female-sexual-aggression/

This article is also interesting:
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/04/male_rape_in_america_a_new_study_reveals_that_men_are_sexually_assaulted.html
In that, a lot preconceptions are busted. For example 89% of juveniles in detention who say there were sexually abused are boys who say the perpetrator was a female guard. We put women in there because of a preexisting belief that women are safe and nurturing, that it's safer to put a woman in charge of boys than to put a man in there. That's probably not true.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:46:00 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #77990 on: May 30, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »

It's probably not your actual intention, but this highlights how domestic violence or rape apologetics are socially acceptable when it's female -> male.

Consider the amount of female->male violence in an actual domestic setting that's acceptable in fiction as comedy. Then consider Tropes vs Women claiming killing some female enemy in a sci-fi/fantasy game is symbolic of domestic violence against women. If it's female->male domestic violence they don't even have to be symbolic, you have the wife or girlfriend beating the guys head in right on camera, and that's the moment you're meant to laugh your head of, it's codified as a comedy moment. This puts in doubt whether violence vs women is really coded so strongly into the media like Tropes vs Women claims. If anything, violence against women in fiction has always been taboo, and it's only since the breakdown of patriarchy that this taboo has been explored for shock value.
I... think that last bit would be difficult to argue.  Remember how there was a not so long ago era where every film had a gratuitous moment of a man "smacking some sense" into a woman?  And if you want to go really far back, a lot of ancient legends and stuff really casually refer to rape.

As for the woman on man violence stuff, my view is that it clearly happens, and we clearly have no idea how much it happens given that male victims of sexual assault are even less likely than female victims to come forward.

That survey question you reference is interesting but dangerously generalized.  For all we know, 99% of the people who answered "yes" had sex with a tipsy person once, and the other 1% are serial rapists.  It also seems likely that the genders had different ideas of what was "bad" enough to warrant answering yes to that question.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77991 on: May 30, 2015, 04:32:01 pm »

That last bit sound like rationalization. Same statistic, same method of collecting statistic, same results. Yet somehow we have to explain away women answering "yes" as not a big deal, but for men answering "yes" it's a big deal. So to explain away the lack of difference in the statistics we need to make up a new unknown factor.

As for the woman on man violence stuff, my view is that it clearly happens, and we clearly have no idea how much it happens given that male victims of sexual assault are even less likely than female victims to come forward.

Actually in 2010 the CDC added a new "being made to penetrate" question to their sexual victimization studies. Based on the surveys they say 1.267 million men were made to sexually penetrate someone else when they didn't want to. Which was within 1% of the number of women who reported unwanted sexual contact, 1.27 million.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:38:35 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77992 on: May 30, 2015, 04:36:23 pm »

... I don't think anyone with the least lick of sense would actually consider continuing to discuss this subject in the middle of the wtf thread to be a good idea. Hint.

Let us get off the train akura's developing neurosis has started, or at least direct it to another track (i.e. someone that actually wants to get involved in this mess, please make another thread). Please.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77993 on: May 30, 2015, 04:40:57 pm »

Though it did go a lot better than I expected, and I'm happy to have overreacted...  Yeah, please.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77994 on: May 30, 2015, 04:44:36 pm »

In gaming WTF news, I have now learned that Blue Dragon's boss battle music has lyrics. And it's pretty legitimately terrible.

Someone thought this was a good idea :-\

E: This isn't, like, background chanting or something, either. This is 80s-90s rock opera stuff. It... just. Here. Credit for inventiveness. Double credit removal for just being kinda' bad at what they're trying to do.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:51:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77995 on: May 30, 2015, 05:07:11 pm »

...a place rife with the morphine that is overly tight rules...

And that's just as bad as dropping things down the memory hole
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77996 on: May 30, 2015, 05:12:00 pm »

In gaming WTF news, I have now learned that Blue Dragon's boss battle music has lyrics. And it's pretty legitimately terrible.

Someone thought this was a good idea :-\

E: This isn't, like, background chanting or something, either. This is 80s-90s rock opera stuff. It... just. Here. Credit for inventiveness. Double credit removal for just being kinda' bad at what they're trying to do.

The song was by Nobuo Uematsu, lyrics by Hironobu Sakaguchi, vocals are by the lead singer for fucking Deep Purple.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77997 on: May 30, 2015, 05:17:33 pm »

Which is good for them, and the last in particular explains a lot about the style. It's... still not good. Like something you'd see out of a starting garage band, vocals wise. Someone trying to be dragonforce or somethin' and not quite making it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77998 on: May 30, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »

dio

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #77999 on: May 30, 2015, 05:49:24 pm »

Personally I loved the boss battles because of it. So bad it's good.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 5198 5199 [5200] 5201 5202 ... 11037