Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5193 5194 [5195] 5196 5197 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14510505 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77910 on: May 30, 2015, 11:20:46 am »

I will certainly be flamed for this, but this is one of the reasons I get rankled at the "anti-patriarchy!" aligned form of modern feminism. -- The goal is clearly not female equality with men at all, but is instead female protectionism on a scale that makes the victorian age seem quaint.  I thought the purpose of feminism was to get OFF the goddamn pedistal?

Legislation like yours screams "I have a vagina, so I am a delicate flower, that needs to be protected! Wrap me up in 10 layers of bubblewrap! Why, a single unwanted look could destroy me forever!"

Apparently it was less "I want off the pedistal to prove I can stand and walk for myself amid life's slings and arrows." and more "I wanted off THAT pedistal, so I could get on THIS one! it's much taller, and more stylish!"

Cue the "You dont know how hard it is to be a woman!" rhetorical deluge in 3, 2, 1...
(Hint, Life is hard for everyone, and life being hard does not justify fundamental hipocrisy. Go read Animal Farm, and see where the thinking "some are more equal than others" leads. It isn't pretty. Equality means getting bumped and bruised along the way just like everyone else, and having a penis does not make males magically immine from sexual abuse, so spare me that canard as well. IIRC, the statistic is 1 in 6 men have been sexually abused at some point in thier lives.  If anything, it is culturally HARDER for males, because admiting that sexual abuse is a cultural taboo that is percieved as an indicator of weakness and ersion of masculine identity. The point here? Women get abused about as often as men do, men get abused earlier in life is all. As a consequence, treating male abuse as a non-issue is straight up specious and a stark denial of reality.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77911 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:17 am »

The impression I get is more that for a lot of feminists they look at an injustice that hits women and they don't always know how to fix it.

So some use ideas that end up being quite regressive as a result.

But that is because there is no one feminism, nor one idea of how to achieve it. It is why you get completely opposite ideas.

As for "Men seem overly vilified and ignored" that is... true... But that isn't news. Well actually that isn't true EXACTLY (true but untrue... it is complicated)

Honestly the best advice I have for people is just to pretend feminism doesn't exist (and yes I know I am a feminist)... Just treat whatever BS statistic as if it was coming from an idiot rather then a feminist. Treat any great idea like it was coming from someone with intelligence rather then a feminist.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:36:42 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77912 on: May 30, 2015, 11:36:34 am »

It's probably too late for this, but we *know* how these discussion always go.  It's frustrating, but this just isn't a place where the topic can be discussed rationally.  Every thread on the topic has devolved and been deleted, and Toady keeps having to excise it when it causes derails in other topics.

As someone who pretty much agrees with you guys - why the hell are you discussing it again here?  Particularly you weird, with the "hurr now the other side will vilify me".  Yeah no shit, you're basically taunting them - and breaking an armistice.  That *does* make you the bad guy.

Any chance we can just roll this back *without* involving Toady?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77913 on: May 30, 2015, 11:38:04 am »

Ehhh I think the topic is over frankly.

A lot of people are just frustrated because school basically crams this down your throat for your entire highschool experience.

As for the non-consent for things like kissing.

I'd HAVE to see that to believe it. There is just no way something like that can pass.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:41:49 am by Neonivek »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #77914 on: May 30, 2015, 11:42:34 am »

So does the internet, college, work, TV, radio...

Basically we're at the point that average people are more obsessed with rape than the rapists, poi.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77915 on: May 30, 2015, 11:43:55 am »

Neon- The OP was discussing a college. Add minumum 4 years on top of the highschool flavor.

Rolan-- I find the rhetoric behind policies like the above sufficiently antagonistic to warrant an address of grievance, and merely preemptively shot down the most likely retort.  It was mostly rhetorical in itself; I dont really want to debate this issue. I was more hedging it back toward the center, where the real world lives. I merely would like for the feminists of this flavor to stop being misandronists, and become humanists.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77916 on: May 30, 2015, 11:48:45 am »

Neon- The OP was discussing a college. Add minumum 4 years on top of the highschool flavor.

Ehhh College and university only beats this in further if you take any of the humanities.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77917 on: May 30, 2015, 11:49:09 am »

misandronists, and become humanists.
Misandronist == a person hating androids? The latter part of the sentence implies so :P

Misandrist is what you were shooting for.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77918 on: May 30, 2015, 11:50:10 am »

Goodness I hate androids with such a passion...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77919 on: May 30, 2015, 11:50:55 am »

scrdest-- So it is!

Yes, less hatred of males, more love for humans.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #77920 on: May 30, 2015, 12:13:30 pm »

-

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #77922 on: May 30, 2015, 12:30:36 pm »

nvm
It's FEF, not FEOF

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77924 on: May 30, 2015, 12:41:47 pm »

It's probably too late for this, but we *know* how these discussion always go.  It's frustrating, but this just isn't a place where the topic can be discussed rationally.  Every thread on the topic has devolved and been deleted, and Toady keeps having to excise it when it causes derails in other topics.

As someone who pretty much agrees with you guys - why the hell are you discussing it again here?  Particularly you weird, with the "hurr now the other side will vilify me".  Yeah no shit, you're basically taunting them - and breaking an armistice.  That *does* make you the bad guy.

Any chance we can just roll this back *without* involving Toady?

They don't "devolve". Whiners throw hissy fits about them to the mods when someone broaches an opinion that doesn't tow the forum's party line.

The real problem is that the topics are never g8ven the chance to be resolved before being sent down the memory hole.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:44:33 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5193 5194 [5195] 5196 5197 ... 11037