Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5172 5173 [5174] 5175 5176 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514297 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77595 on: May 26, 2015, 12:37:25 pm »

The Lady despises deities. Would be more than happy to strike down someone who tried to worship her. To let a deity into Sigil ... would be absolutely absurd

IIRC it's actually one of the canonical possible endings to Die Vecna, Die. If the player characters are all killed by Vecna (who has broken into the Sigil) after reaching Sigil, the Lady of Pain brings in a company of demigods to deal with him.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77596 on: May 26, 2015, 12:45:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure he's rooted his phone, and that's why it runs hot and crashes when he makes calls.
Which is avoidable of course...  Though that sort of thing is common, particularly when you update a phone's OS version past what the manufacturer offers.  I know a guy who does this as a hobby, and a lot of his devices have... idiosyncrasies.  Though he helped set me up with a stable cyanogenmod release and it was lovely.  Faster because it didn't have all that bloatware, and cyanogenmod's UI feels cleaner, crisper.

It did suffer a hardware fault within a couple of weeks, but it was due for its planned obsolescence so I honestly think that was a coincidence.  The wifi works but the cell antenna isn't reliable, so I use it as a MP3 player and mobile games platform now.  It runs cooler than it used to...  Really depends on what you try to run.  In this case, a nice simple interface and none of the bloatware.

Wish I could do it with my new phone, but Samsung installed some particularly rough hardware countermeasures.  Sigh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77597 on: May 26, 2015, 12:49:23 pm »

Just found out GW has brought out their next 'Minicodex'.
So I came here to angst and moan.

A codex is usually for a great manuscript. Not for a tiny book.

If you want to release tiny freaking books of all of the minutae armies, then call them encyclopedae... Encyclopedias? Encyclo- Booklets
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77598 on: May 26, 2015, 12:53:05 pm »

Just found out GW has brought out their next 'Minicodex'.
So I came here to angst and moan.

A codex is usually for a great manuscript. Not for a tiny book.

If you want to release tiny freaking books of all of the minutae armies, then call them encyclopedae... Encyclopedias? Encyclo- Booklets

*minces words

A codex is any document that is bound in leaflet form, as per definition 1.
A tome is a large and weighty codex.

A "mini-codex" is not a contradiction, while a "Mini-tome" would be. ;)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77599 on: May 26, 2015, 12:53:44 pm »

Also Hacker's Keyboard, probably.
The big issue with Android and doing anything power-user-y is that soft keyboards are horrible, horrible abominations (and it's not really their fault).

Yeah. Onscreen keyboards suck!

(Although at least they remain reliably lit as long as the screen continues to work. In addition to my cell-phone I've also got a pda with a physical keyboard whose backlight broke and it's a pain to work with in the dark)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:57:21 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77600 on: May 26, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »

planned obsolescence

I absolutely despise crippleware
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77601 on: May 26, 2015, 01:03:22 pm »

Me too. 

"Product lifecycle management" is ONLY good for the manufacturer. It is a net drain on EVERYONE else.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #77602 on: May 26, 2015, 01:06:37 pm »

My biggest issue with phones in general is that even hardware keyboards start to take flak after a while. It is admittedly hilarious to read through my posts before submitting them to find commas replaced with question marks and apostrophes with 'n's (my 'alt' key is a little broken), but it gets pretty annoying after a while.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77603 on: May 26, 2015, 01:09:32 pm »

I'm still using an Iphone 4 and personally am trying to make it fail.
It's insured. If it had've legitimately died by now I'd be on a 5 or 5s, for VERY cheap.
But it just... keeps... ticking.

*minces words
I personally hit up the Google definition before I posted, although that doesn't help my case any.
I figured outrage would smooth over the cracks in the English language.

Point being, I wonder how much they're going to end up charging for an 'Omnibus' which contains all of the units a 'Codex' used to.
Then again, they have been releasing a lot more power creep units lately.

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they're having trouble fitting it in a single book now- but Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus are both the exact same faction and both come with VERY sparse lists, each in their individual $100 booklet.
It's like they're asking for piracy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77604 on: May 26, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »

More hilarity ensues when applications (like VNC viewer) make the alt button "sticky" after you press it while making a combination, ensuring that the rest of your input stream is nonsense.

Apps these days go "Wait what? hardware keyboard? Whassat?!", because of the horrible trend to eliminate them, and developers not wanting to bother supporting them correctly.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77605 on: May 26, 2015, 01:19:39 pm »

Also Hacker's Keyboard, probably.
The big issue with Android and doing anything power-user-y is that soft keyboards are horrible, horrible abominations (and it's not really their fault).

Yeah. Onscreen keyboards suck!

(Although at least they remain reliably lit as long as the screen continues to work. In addition to my cell-phone I've also got a pda with a physical keyboard whose backlight broke and it's a pain to work with in the dark)
the main point of hardware keyboards is being able to feel your way around the keys, though...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77606 on: May 26, 2015, 01:24:51 pm »

Being able to feel your way around the keys is basically what allows most people to type without even taking a glimpse at the keyboard. I guess it doesnt matter when the keyboard is right on the screen, since you're actively looking at it all the time, but yea, on screen keyboards have always been kinda horrible, specialy if you're typing on it using your fingers, since it not only puts marks all over the screen, it also reacts weird to the touch of different kinds of fingers.

My father has very strong fingers with coarse skin even on the tips due to being on the military for decades, and typing on his cellphone's on screen keyboard is a huge problem for him.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77607 on: May 26, 2015, 01:27:57 pm »

Someone stole the lid to my trash can. Why the fuck would anyone even bother with that?

There is only one logical answer.

Sudden onset nudity syndrome.
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77608 on: May 26, 2015, 01:36:57 pm »

Being able to feel your way around the keys is basically what allows most people to type without even taking a glimpse at the keyboard.
That's not the only purpose - being able to feel where a given key ends (and thus being sure you are pushing the right key), and having tactile feedback (so you know you actually hit the damn key) are critically important, and the reason why -for example- there's such a large and growing market for phone-compatible gamepads.

Honestly touch screen keyboards are - like hiding all of a TV or monitor's controls, inputs, and headphone jack on the back of the thing where they're nigh-impossible to get at - yet another example of minimalist design making things much harder to use.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77609 on: May 26, 2015, 01:40:57 pm »

Me too. 

"Product lifecycle management" is ONLY good for the manufacturer. It is a net drain on EVERYONE else.

There really needs to be some kind of legislation against it. Too bad too many congressmen are easily influenced by and/or personal friends of corporate douchebags for it to happen any time soon.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5172 5173 [5174] 5175 5176 ... 11037