Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5162 5163 [5164] 5165 5166 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514252 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77445 on: May 25, 2015, 12:32:41 am »

Yeah, and of course I wouldn't include dark TRUNKS or whatever.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #77446 on: May 25, 2015, 12:57:50 am »

Trying to sleep, phone goes off making me think I've slept till my set alarm.

It's only been an hour and it's my roomate calling me.

No one on the other end, she said she didn't call. ... What?

And now I'm too awake to sleep, poi!

Her butt dialed your phone in her sleep. It was hoping to get a hold of your butt to have an assinine conversation, but then you answered and it was too embare-assed to speak up.

...I enjoyed writing that way more than is healthy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #77447 on: May 25, 2015, 01:09:01 am »

I'm going to fist your urethra. Poi.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77448 on: May 25, 2015, 01:10:00 am »

Careful, some people are into that.

Some very, very scary people.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77449 on: May 25, 2015, 01:13:35 am »

Trying to sleep, phone goes off making me think I've slept till my set alarm.

It's only been an hour and it's my roomate calling me.

No one on the other end, she said she didn't call. ... What?

And now I'm too awake to sleep, poi!

Her butt dialed your phone in her sleep. It was hoping to get a hold of your butt to have an assinine conversation, but then you answered and it was too embare-assed to speak up.

...I enjoyed writing that way more than is healthy.
* Sirus gives Erik Blank a cookie
(don't worry guys, it's poisonous)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77450 on: May 25, 2015, 01:21:08 am »

Yeah, and of course I wouldn't include dark TRUNKS or whatever.

Anti Special Death Vanishing Karma Flash Big Bang Kamehameha Masenko

I don't see how you could not include that.

EDIT:

Kabitokai is a character in the Dragonball Xz series. He is the fusion of the Supreme Kai and Kabitokai who lives on the Supreme Kai's Planet with Kabitokai.

Oh my god. They invented Roger a Muirebe!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:23:01 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77451 on: May 25, 2015, 01:24:43 am »

There's a typo on one of the stupid news things on my Facebook feed.
It says "selife" instead of "selfie". For some reason this causes me a great deal of distress.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77452 on: May 25, 2015, 04:10:09 am »

EDIT: Anyways, they don't want panic. They want money. If being trustworthy gets them more money, they'll go for that. If initiating panic stations gets them more money, they'll go for that. Cryptolocker wants to be trustworthy, because if it was a case of 'We have your files. You can pay us, but that won't change anything either way and you're losing all of them.', they'd get FAR less money, since it would circulate on the internet, news or whatever media that there's no point in paying them. They'd get SOME money from ignorant people, and people who tried it anyway, or people who panicked, but not anywhere near as much.
No, they don't want you panicked. Converting your dosh to Bitcoins is not something the average user already knows how to do; what they want is for you to fixate on one goal, be reassured that everything will be fine, and calmly Fix The Problem. They don't need to rely on panic because you really don't have a good alternative, or at least you didn't before that decryption kerjigger up there; and even that's not a surefire thing because it (presumably) runs on a database of known keys recovered during whatever operation disrupted the distribution botnet and rounded up the other information we have on the whole affair. Certainly, when they designed the scheme, your options were to pay or go without.
You don't have a giant bomb countdown going second by second telling you how long you've got left before everything's been bricked and expect this shit to be calming. There was no 'we'll fix the problem,' like I said, it was a threat.
Let me say this again: This is a copycat, a new one made in 2015. Yet it used the Cryptolocker name, one of the most well-known viruses around. This is one with thousands of people and security experts saying don't give them your money. So why would they use the Cryptolocker name, why would they make a threat? Why not call it Soft Security.exe and give them a friendly message saying their files are corrupted and they can fix it instead of 'We have taken everything, no one can help you.' Whilst using the most famous name? Because the name has the reputation, the name instills fear. It's basically ISIS: The virus.
Definition of ransom:
Demand concessions from a person or organization by threatening damaging action.
Definition of extortion:
The practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.
These are not actions that require trust. This is a new virus using an older virus's name. There is no trust. It is not building up a client base. It is not establishing a customer-support line for anyone who payed the ransom. It is not sending friendly messages to the community as to why they haven't decrypted files, because those messages are just full of more malware.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is an old image of it. Mine had the countdown even fucking larger, used less euphemisms and just said it would fuck your shit up, and looked like it was written by a coalition of drunk nigerian princes and russian oligarchs. Even gave step by step instructions on how to buy bitcoins, including creating a wallet on my computer for me, so only payment would be necessary.
Calm people make good decisions. They go full sampson and just retrieve important files from backups, and if they haven't backed up their files they know not to negotiate with terrorists, because everywhere is America, and America is the land of liberty. They'd know there's no certainty that they'll ever get their files back either way, and they know for certain that they'll never see their money again. That's why security analysts estimated that only 1-2% of people would have payed to the original cryptolocker goons, when a study had shown a disheartening 41% had payed.
Panic pays well.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77453 on: May 25, 2015, 06:24:36 am »

I don't know about you, but in the news I also heard people saying that more often than not people would actually get their files decrypted by paying.
And as much as it may shock you, a lot of if not most people do not back up their shit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77454 on: May 25, 2015, 07:14:00 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:10:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77455 on: May 25, 2015, 08:42:45 am »

Currently trying to get started on Einsteinian roulette. Have no idea what's going on.
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77456 on: May 25, 2015, 09:18:16 am »

Currently trying to get started on Einsteinian roulette. Have no idea what's going on.

Welcome to the funhouse. Maybe check out the new player guide on the wiki, it helps (see sig). They were just gearing up to go rescue the planetside teams after the other team set of the nukes on themselves. So if you're quick, you can go on a mission already! Just beware that the planet will try to eat you, and may or may not go haywire once we cut off its brain. So, uh, good luck with that!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77457 on: May 25, 2015, 09:26:30 am »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:10:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77458 on: May 25, 2015, 09:43:37 am »

twoota has its own wiki

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77459 on: May 25, 2015, 09:45:45 am »

There are letsplayers with their own wiki.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 5162 5163 [5164] 5165 5166 ... 11037