Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5159 5160 [5161] 5162 5163 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515244 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77400 on: May 24, 2015, 03:58:23 pm »

I was talking to GigDes about this earlier, but there's this pervasive and ongoing idea over at this other forum I'm on (under the same name; feel free to hunt me down) that, somehow, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles are not, in fact, vehicles. It just blows my mind that so many people could agree that something with [noun] in it's name isn't a [noun]. I mean for fuck's sake. Am I just crazy?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77401 on: May 24, 2015, 04:01:42 pm »

I was talking to GigDes about this earlier, but there's this pervasive and ongoing idea over at this other forum I'm on (under the same name; feel free to hunt me down) that, somehow, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles are not, in fact, vehicles. It just blows my mind that so many people could agree that something with [noun] in it's name isn't a [noun]. I mean for fuck's sake. Am I just crazy?

The definition of "vehicle" is something that transports people or cargo - most UAVs do not do (or are capable of doing) either. Thus UAV is a non-indicative name in most cases.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #77402 on: May 24, 2015, 04:23:01 pm »

The definition of "vehicle" is something that transports people or cargo - most UAVs do not do (or are capable of doing) either. Thus UAV is a non-indicative name in most cases.
That definition is far too narrow, because we know that Predator drones don't transport people or cargo, and we also know that they are definitely vehicles because they're called UAVs.

A better definition is the Webster version: a means of carrying or transporting something <planes, trains, and other vehicles>

Predator drones transport firepower and surveillance equipment, hence they are vehicles.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77403 on: May 24, 2015, 04:26:56 pm »

It does transport cargo - just not a lot of it. Usually whatever equipment is necessary for its operation. Still cargo.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77404 on: May 24, 2015, 04:29:53 pm »

It is like Dungeons and Dragons is a Christian game... rather then a game with mythology.

That's because it is. Gary Gygax was very devout, and introduced polytheism into the defaults in an effort to avoid blasphemy - having a single all-powerful god would either simply be El Shaddai (which would run the risk of portraying Him in a manner offensive to Him) or would feel too much like an attempt to replace Him. The polytheistic setting, far removed from anything the developers actually believed in, sidestepped that problem. The underlying moral system, however, is very clearly rooted in his personal beliefs.

It also seems to have Dicordian elements

http://principiadiscordia.com/book/70.php
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77405 on: May 24, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »

That definition is far too narrow, because we know that Predator drones don't transport people or cargo, and we also know that they are definitely vehicles because they're called UAVs.

And this is designated a flamethrower - doesn't mean that a rocket doesn't come out of it.

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77406 on: May 24, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »

Wait is that a flammenwerfer or rocketwerfer? Sarcasm rockets?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77407 on: May 24, 2015, 05:07:45 pm »

It's a Russian Reactive Infantry Flamethrower "Bumblebee" (Reaktivnyy Pekhotnyy Ognemet "Shmel") thermobaric rocket launcher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77408 on: May 24, 2015, 05:10:06 pm »

Dank rockets

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77409 on: May 24, 2015, 05:14:23 pm »

more like "localized-portals-to-hell rockets"
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77410 on: May 24, 2015, 05:19:31 pm »

My clients, Localized Portals to Hell Rockets, object to the usage of the band's name without permission.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77411 on: May 24, 2015, 05:22:26 pm »

Ah, thermobaric weapons. Those are unpleasant, I mean, out of desirable ways to die having my lungs torn apart and then bleeding to death is pretty low down the list,
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77412 on: May 24, 2015, 05:26:42 pm »

My clients, Localized Portals to Hell Rockets, object to the usage of the band's name without permission.
Fans of the Localized Portals to Hell Rockets will be able to go to hell for the Localized Portals to Hell Rockets going to Hell in Hell tour via localized-portals-to-hell rockets. And if you don't like Localized Portals to Hell Rockets, go to Hell.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #77413 on: May 24, 2015, 05:46:42 pm »

I played Crypt of the NecroDancer for the first time today.

I heard it was good, but WTF. No game has a right to have movement that just feels this GOOD. Sorry Wolfenstein, Skyrim, all my modern bros with physics and 3D graphics engines, but you can stand to take a hint here.

It's a gimmick, and I know it's a gimmick, but I'll be damned if this isn't the perfect way to implement a gimmick.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77414 on: May 24, 2015, 05:54:28 pm »

I played Crypt of the NecroDancer for the first time today.

I heard it was good, but WTF. No game has a right to have movement that just feels this GOOD. Sorry Wolfenstein, Skyrim, all my modern bros with physics and 3D graphics engines, but you can stand to take a hint here.

It's a gimmick, and I know it's a gimmick, but I'll be damned if this isn't the perfect way to implement a gimmick.

It is a gimmick but it is a well implemented gimmick.

Sometimes with games there are gimmicks that are well used or only half as good as it should be.

But Crypt of the Necrodancer doesn't just put the movement to dance steps but rather it makes the entire stages a large dance. All the enemies essentially being dances to defeat.

Even if there were 100 different games all with the same gimmick... Crypt of the Necrodancer would still stand out as one of the better ones.
Pages: 1 ... 5159 5160 [5161] 5162 5163 ... 11037