Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5158 5159 [5160] 5161 5162 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515198 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77385 on: May 24, 2015, 01:28:51 pm »

If there is one thing that always kind of annoyed me about dungeons and dragons is how often it boiled down to the idea of "good" as "goody goody" even when they share universes with Odin, Thor, Osiris, Ra, and Zues... who are still good Deities but you wonder why they don't just smite someone.

I don't any of those gods exist in any DnD setting apart from the Egyptian ones (which, yes, are part of the Forgotten Realms Pan-pantheon. They got there through some portal gates to ancient Egypt along with more than a few ancient Egyptians, which founded, among others, the basis for the Thayan civilization. The super evil "Red Wizards of Thay" guys, you know).

Aside from that there's only Tyr, who only borrows superficial stuff from his namesake. Beyond that the closest you get to a "real" god is Aslan. Which, yes, is totally a god in the Forgotten Realms setting. Because that whole Egyptian stuff wasn't ridiculous enough already ;)

There is a official dungeons and dragons setting and I cannot remember its name...

But in it the major draw is that all the gods are in it... Zues, Hercules, Hera, and all that.

Hades is Chaotic Evil or Lawful Evil I forget... and that annoys me.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77386 on: May 24, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »

No no! It will become so diluted it will be homeopathic at that point! It's only becoming more powerful! Think of the children!
And good gods make sure that whatever you do you don't drink any locally sourced water. It's so diluted it could probably kill you by being anywhere nearby.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refrigerator-full-of-Super-Nintendo-Jurassic-Park-games-/191586916547
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77387 on: May 24, 2015, 01:43:01 pm »

cleric snip
Maybe they should just front-load all the cleric spells into the Gods themselves, so instead of looking at the Cleric to find out which spells you get, you look instead at the god you worship to see what he/she/they/it bestows on you at what levels. Follow a god of trickery? Obscuring spells, mind control spells, illusion spells, etc. God of death, necromancy and playing with vitality. God of fire, goddess of the sea, concept of justice, Lord of the Night, etc, all would be specialized.

Of course, it'd be a bitch to balance and require a lot more work, but it'd be more fun to play as a cleric.

They (3.5e) do that to a small degree with bonus domain spells.  Basically one spell of each level has to be chosen from your god's portfolio (technically you choose two of their domains that you can draw from).  These domains also grant minor bonus powers or modifiers.  Being a cleric of Pelor and choosing Good and Sun gives a constant +1 caster level to your good spells, and once a day you can turn undead more powerfully.  And your level 1 bonus spell has to be Protection From Evil or Endure Elements.

But, it's pretty minor.  I'd be interested in something which makes the domains more important.  Maybe that elemental divine spellcaster is sorta kinda like that, I forget the name.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77388 on: May 24, 2015, 01:45:11 pm »

I know people are sensitive about it...

But... it is one of the things that 4e did well...

Actually if there is one thing I like about 4e is its class concepts. I have a huge list of classes from 4e I wish would get adopted into 5e proper (Warden and Arcane Blade for example)

Mustard Elemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77389 on: May 24, 2015, 01:58:06 pm »

I think i may have found the most cringeworthy thing that has ever happened on this earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZelNJrsyI_g

Try to watch any fight scene from this without feeling physically sick. I dare you.
The military is all gathered in one huge mass on top of the ramp to the mountaintop, where the entrance is. Apparently they spend their time taking potshots at owls, pushing babies off the ledge, and giggling.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #77390 on: May 24, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »

cleric snip
Maybe they should just front-load all the cleric spells into the Gods themselves, so instead of looking at the Cleric to find out which spells you get, you look instead at the god you worship to see what he/she/they/it bestows on you at what levels. Follow a god of trickery? Obscuring spells, mind control spells, illusion spells, etc. God of death, necromancy and playing with vitality. God of fire, goddess of the sea, concept of justice, Lord of the Night, etc, all would be specialized.

Of course, it'd be a bitch to balance and require a lot more work, but it'd be more fun to play as a cleric.

That's how it worked in second edition, but then tbey changed it in ee (presumably for the sake of simplicity)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77391 on: May 24, 2015, 03:16:02 pm »

Hey who wants to see a neat graph?

So let's have a look here...
  • "True" Anarchy vs Real Anarchy
  • Axes that aren't perpendicular
  • "Gender Atheism" and "Sexuality Atheism"
  • Engineering is the patriarchy

I think we can safely conclude that whoever wrote this was high as a fucking kite, off their tits on ket or something.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:18:38 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77392 on: May 24, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:10:00 pm by penguinofhonor »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #77393 on: May 24, 2015, 03:27:15 pm »

Science is patriarchy. K

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77394 on: May 24, 2015, 03:27:45 pm »

I am changing a few bits in my old code. It feels like I'm trying to unravel the eldritch writings of some madman. The longer I stare at it, the more I understand the thoughts behind them, but I am also slowly being dragged into the madness.
welcome to handling other people's code. or your own really old code.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77395 on: May 24, 2015, 03:29:49 pm »

That graph is a cognitohazard. That must be what comprehending Necronomicon would feel like.

The words and pictures are all there, they are perfectly fine in what they symbolize, yet the entirety does not compute.

I think that if I keep looking, my brain will melt and trickle down on the floor in a long, oozy stream down, symmetrically from each ear.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77396 on: May 24, 2015, 03:40:44 pm »

*whoosh*
It is... beautiful.

– Marxism-Leninism is associated with Matriarchy?
– "Cultural Marxism" is an actual ideology that's, uh, diametrically opposed to "Positivist Materialism?"
– Men's Rights Movement is a not a joke?
– Fourth Wave Feminism is associated with Patriarchy?
– "The Axis of Care" starts at Right Totalitarianism? (The origin of Axis Powers is Care?!)
– etc.

I Can See Forever, Guise! @O@

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #77397 on: May 24, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »

It is like Dungeons and Dragons is a Christian game... rather then a game with mythology.

That's because it is. Gary Gygax was very devout, and introduced polytheism into the defaults in an effort to avoid blasphemy - having a single all-powerful god would either simply be El Shaddai (which would run the risk of portraying Him in a manner offensive to Him) or would feel too much like an attempt to replace Him. The polytheistic setting, far removed from anything the developers actually believed in, sidestepped that problem. The underlying moral system, however, is very clearly rooted in his personal beliefs.

There is a official dungeons and dragons setting and I cannot remember its name...

But in it the major draw is that all the gods are in it... Zues, Hercules, Hera, and all that.

Hades is Chaotic Evil or Lawful Evil I forget... and that annoys me.

It's not a setting, it's a splatbook - Deities and Demigods (or Legends And Lore for two editions published during the Satanic Panic).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #77398 on: May 24, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »

Science is patriarchy. K
No, the graph clearly states that only the hard, long, swollen, girthy sciences are patriarchal.  I don't know what the fuck the difference is between hard, long, etc. science is and soft science is but that be like it is.  Or something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77399 on: May 24, 2015, 03:56:48 pm »

Science is well known at this point for being historically (and, largely, currently) male dominated, to the point it's caused occasional problems with experimental methodology and whatnot. Conceptually it's gender neutral, practically it's had its troubles.

That said, it's pretty obvious they're redefining patriarchy as low care/high knowledge instead of anything actually resembling reality, so oddities are kinda' expected. I mean, the thing is describing a market economy as the perfect fusion of care and knowledge, which is a pile of horseshit so heaping it could bury the colossus of Rhodes.

– Fourth Wave Feminism is associated with Patriarchy?
Can't remember if it's the fourth or not, but there's definitely one of the waves that's associated with reinforcing stereotypical gender roles, which is probably where that originates. Basically part of the feminism movement is associated with patriarchy (and by and large diametrically opposed to, y'know, the rest of it).
– "The Axis of Care" starts at Right Totalitarianism? (The origin of Axis Powers is Care?!)
Starts, yes, which means that's the lowest point available. Arrow end is high care, flat end is low care. Right Totalitarianism would be least care possible.

I can appreciate from a point of amusement that an incredibly soft-(pseudo)science graph shits on the soft sciences as being a point of knowledge, though. That's a good one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:01:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5158 5159 [5160] 5161 5162 ... 11037