Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5140 5141 [5142] 5143 5144 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493194 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77115 on: May 21, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »

For the most part, I actually like my siblings.  My older sister and I USED to be physically intolerant of each other (as in, fights) when we were younger, but we came to the conclusion that this was mostly psychological engineering by our older siblings and our mother- and decided that we werent going to play that game.

instead, we became practically inseparable, and did all our chores together to get them over and done with.

My oldest sister and older brother-- I am on acceptable terms with them, but only because I know exactly what to expect from them, and dont press for more. 

I still cant understand why your sister would behave the way she does about a teddy bear though.  People have the strangest hangups.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #77116 on: May 21, 2015, 10:46:13 pm »

Neonivek, it seems easier because you are most likely avoiding each other and not interacting at all due to that. The problems you mentioned sound like ones you could resolve by just talking about them, though. You (pl.) don't need to keep up bad relations forever just because it seems easier. I would recommend making peace with her, explaining you want that bear if she doesn't. Surely she's mature enough to understand?

E: I'm not very happy about how this post turned out, with some poor word choices I'm not sure how to fix. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:48:32 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77117 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:49 pm »

I am seriously considering doing a let's play.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77118 on: May 21, 2015, 10:51:00 pm »

I would hate to see her reaction to a (male) friend of mine's (obsessive) plush collection.  He has an ENTIRE BEDROOM full of plushes.

(No he is NOT a plushophiliac, he just has this thing that everywhere he goes to see or do something neat, he buys a plush memorabilia item. All his plushes are in immaculately cared for condition. Just that room looks like an 8 year old girl's room with that many stuffed animals in it.)

Putnam:

Which game?  I could do a let's play on some SNES games using an emulator.  Legend of Zelda, a Link to the past is one I am so good at, I can literally speed run it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #77119 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:38 pm »

Dwarf Fortress. Odd amount of demand, and it's one of the few games that I can really consider myself an expert at.

I'm able to speedrun an SNES game or two, yeah. I can do an SMW glitchless warps run in 20 minutes, which... has some room for improvement, yeah, but it's impressive enough at parties, heheh.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77120 on: May 21, 2015, 10:56:41 pm »

I should do an LP/stream one of these days. Is it just my tired, caffienated brain or does that actually seem like a good idea?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77121 on: May 21, 2015, 10:57:08 pm »

Neonivek, it seems easier because you are most likely avoiding each other and not interacting at all due to that. The problems you mentioned sound like ones you could resolve by just talking about them, though. You (pl.) don't need to keep up bad relations forever just because it seems easier. I would recommend making peace with her, explaining you want that bear if she doesn't. Surely she's mature enough to understand?

E: I'm not very happy about how this post turned out, with some poor word choices I'm not sure how to fix. Sorry.

Don't worry we fight a lot but we never stay mad for very long.

I am already over what she said to me and so right now this fight is going to last as long as it takes until she is over it herself.

So maybe two weeks tops...

Until then I am going to really enjoy the week without someone barging into my room.

MIND YOU... Me not being mad is not very difficult given I got my way essentially... since I never get my way or when I do it is because people "give in".
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:58:55 pm by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77122 on: May 21, 2015, 10:57:33 pm »

If I do EVERYTHING JUST RIGHT, I can speedrun a link to the past in JUST under 3 hours, with 100% completion.

With some pre-planning, I could probably shave that down.  Last I checked, that was into the "Pro" category. (Best ever times I see are around 2hrs for 100% completion.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:00:22 pm by wierd »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77123 on: May 21, 2015, 11:35:29 pm »

Why is it so hard to give defender an advantage in games like Heroes of Might & Magic...

p.s. And why do I feel that I completely change my view of the world every year or two?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:46:08 pm by Sergarr »
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77124 on: May 21, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »

Game mechanics are designed to prevent converting a support class into a boot stomping tank?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77125 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:25 am »

Game mechanics are designed to prevent converting a support class into a boot stomping tank?
It's more about that the whole game is centered about making a gigantic rolling snowball of doom in form of your main hero with most of your army in it, and there's no strength advantages that defender gets at all. Only movement ones at best, due to preferred terrain type, and that usually doesn't matter.

The only kind of temporary boosts in the game are morale and luck ones, and those while significant, don't really change the outcome of a battle that much.

EDIT: Oh I think I forgot one definitive defender advantage thing - "fast unit => uber spell => retreat" tactic. But that's borderline exploitive and also costs a lot of money.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:03:51 am by Sergarr »
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #77126 on: May 22, 2015, 12:06:19 am »

In V, castles can be pretty damn effective as a defender advantage. And you say luck doesn't change much, but in my experience it's one of the most irritating weapons in the game. Nothing quite like watching your entire stack of tier sevens get wiped out in a single shot by a stack of crossbowmen.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77127 on: May 22, 2015, 12:10:09 am »

Uh, to my knowledge luck only doubles damage from attack (in all HoMM except 4th, in 4 it reduces incoming damage). If crossbowmen are massed enough to wipe out your 7th tier units with only double damage, then you're already in deep trouble.
._.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77128 on: May 22, 2015, 03:53:30 am »

Oh boy, this new keyboard is hard to use whilst drunk.
I've barely had anything to drink, but already my fingers are going in all the wrong places and it's a mess augh.
I guess it's because I spent so long learning to effectively type on the last cruddy keyboard I had to use, that now my hands are used to compensating for that rather than all the weirdly-shaped, unresponsive keys of this new one. Anyways I had better get going.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77129 on: May 22, 2015, 04:17:36 am »

Why is it so hard to give defender an advantage in games like Heroes of Might & Magic...
It's not, but it's usually avoided to keep gameplay from becoming a slog. Defenders having a significant advantage in games is usually something that causes fairly significant design/playability issues -- you can see examples in the occasional RTS or somethin' that has abnormally strong towers or whatev'. Tends to make for fairly unpleasant multiplayer and boring (to most) singleplayer. As a game designer, you usually want your player (and usually your player wants) to be active instead of reactive -- having defensive methods be weaker than offensive ones (usually by making them static/slow and/or expensive -- HoMM et al just makes them weaker numerically) is one of the go-to ways of pulling that off.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5140 5141 [5142] 5143 5144 ... 11037