Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5134 5135 [5136] 5137 5138 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14492304 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #77025 on: May 20, 2015, 08:54:43 pm »

This may easily be the one of the most absurd ways of making an overpowered character in D&D.
._.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77026 on: May 20, 2015, 08:59:25 pm »

This is the second campaign that I've played with him as DM.

As if everybody else hasn't told you, you really need to find a new DM.  Honestly, to me the biggest red flag (besides the obvious fetishistic crap) is that he feels the need to invent system justifications for how he designs his NPC's stats.  He's the one running the game, he has free license to make up whatever characters he wants, and the fact that he needs a rule to tell him its okay, even if it's a rule he invented, says volumes about his ability to manage a party.

If there's one thing I've learned in years of tabletop gaming, it's that the only thing worse than a munchkin player is a munchkin game master.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77027 on: May 20, 2015, 09:21:54 pm »

There are so few reasons to EVER need a DMPC... but here is a list
1) Rotating DMs
2) Missing Player
3) Explosion at the glue factory causing your hand to be permanently glued to your character's piece, with the fumes causing you to hallucinate and so you need to roleplay this character or else the voices will eat you up alive

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77028 on: May 20, 2015, 09:42:14 pm »

As I mentioned, we were using the same characters from a prior campaign, which was DM'd by someone else.

He just decided to keep using his wizard that ends encounters immediately. He has the highest initiative in the party.

Because if he cannot end an encounter without even trying, then he doesn't feel he is playing right, because he plays to win, and not to have fun. But if we blow through an encounter in one of his campaigns, then we are the problem, not him. So he nerfs us. The list of what he has decreed includes the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He boosts enemy abilities stupidly. He gives them an extra 20 base attack bonus just because he can, and so we cannot use combat maneuvers on them, because he doesn't like combat maneuvers. At least when we use them. Enemies have sundered our gear and knocked us on our ass just fine. He wasrather agnry when he discovered that weapon enhancement bonuses can be applied to combat maneuvers if that weapon is used to make a maneuver. A paladin's to-hit bonus from their smite can apply as well, interestingly enough.

He doubles every creature's type bonuses. He says he just applies them, but creatures come with their type bonuses already applied. Since this is a demon/devil based campaign and outsiders get a lot of bonuses due to type, it gets silly quick. Such as a level 20 wizard/demon with over 50 base to hit.

He also hates alchemists with a passion for some reason. Something about potions acting like spells not sitting right with him. Plus mutagens are too similar to barbarians, and he doesn't like the alchemist discoveries to the point where he house-ruled that every one of them has a negative that strongly outweighs the benefits. Such as a mummification discovery that gives the alchemist some undead-like bonuses. He ruled that it makes them true undead, with all the negatives of that creature type, with none of the bonuses.

And swashbucklers, too. They have one optional ability that he doesn't like, so they are not allowed. Even archetypes that do not get that option.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:44:59 pm by BlackFlyme »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77029 on: May 20, 2015, 09:44:49 pm »

are you a masochist

why are you even continuing to consider playing with him

this is literally the worst
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77030 on: May 20, 2015, 09:46:28 pm »

I dunno Sergarr... This might be the kind of DM people write stories about for a good laugh.

I wonder if he is tolerable if you just kind of treat the game like a joke.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #77031 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:40 pm »

My god, your DM is awful. He's not just regular awful, he's that guy awful.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77032 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:35 pm »

I dunno Sergarr... This might be the kind of DM people write stories about for a good laugh.

Agreed. Take copious notes so you can write a good greentext story later.

>He's probably too dumb to notice
>Hey Blackflyme what are those notes
>ohcrap.jpeg
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:58:31 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77033 on: May 20, 2015, 09:54:42 pm »

Agreed. Take copious notes so you can write a good greentext story later.

I want to read it right now!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77034 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »

I don't want to play in that campaign again, and I know that the tripper is rather close to either freaking out or outright leaving if we do end up playing that campaign again.

Hopefully we don't go back to his campaign. I'd rather keep doing adventure paths with the current DM. Even though the bad DM/Problem Player kept complaining during the last session that we weren't playing his campaign instead.

He was already allowed by the DM to play as an overpowered four-armed race, I don't think he should be complaining. He keeps on doing it though, as well as complain about others' characters. My oracle apparently sucks because it is a terrible class. Another player was more or less forced into playing what the BDM wanted him to play. Others played whatever they felt like, though some of the characters' styles are rather same-y.

He also has this shitty homebrew race that he keeps trying to let other DMs allow him to play. "It's basically just a human, just based off of Fable's hero", he says. A human that changes depending on their alignment. They can fly with celestial/infernal wings, emit light from a halo if good or gain a horn attack if evil, and basically gain swarm powers because they are constantly surrounded by butterflies/mosquitos, and gain a +2 racial bonus to all stats, and have auto-proficiency with all sword-like weapons.

E: How the hell would I greentext that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:02:59 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77035 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:05 pm »

My oracle apparently sucks because it is a terrible class

Outside certain builds I can say for certain that...

Ehhh sure they aren't as powerful as Clerics, in general, but it is fine. You don't always play classes because they are more powerful.

I like the Magus even though I have yet to find a way to play one that is even remotely good.

---

On a side note for Pathfinder...

I don't like any of the playable races that have a "type" other then humanoid (heck I don't EXACTLY like the elemental resistance 5 to fire but it is doable)... Mostly because I feel that it is far to great an advantage for nothing for a race that ALREADY has huge advantages in having elemental resistances for free.

As such my personal house rule is that Tieflings and Aasimir are "Humanoids with a subtype of Outsider"

Is that something bad?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:07:46 pm by Neonivek »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77036 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:17 pm »

You should direct him to online forum quests because that's more like the style he wants. More of a CYOA thing. But that would expose him to the bile of the internet, which is just a minor bonus.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77037 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:23 pm »

A significant number of sci-fi "Unified Earth" seem to have purely European/American aestetic. Why is this a thing.
Worse is that when it's instead a Chinese/Non-Euro United Earth, it either basically looks the same, or is a dystopia. :v
Have you been to asia?
It looks just like western countries in developed areas :u

It's not like we tack on buddhas on our buildings.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77038 on: May 20, 2015, 10:10:08 pm »

My oracle apparently sucks because it is a terrible class

Outside certain builds I can say for certain that...

Ehhh sure they aren't as powerful as Clerics, in general, but it is fine. You don't always play classes because they are more powerful.

I like the Magus even though I have yet to find a way to play one that is even remotely good.

---

On a side note for Pathfinder...

I don't like any of the playable races that have a "type" other then humanoid (heck I don't EXACTLY like the elemental resistance 5 to fire but it is doable)... Mostly because I feel that it is far to great an advantage for nothing for a race that ALREADY has huge advantages in having elemental resistances for free.

As such my personal house rule is that Tieflings and Aasimir are "Humanoids with a subtype of Outsider"

Is that something bad?

I feel that they are like the divine equivalent of the sorcerer to the wizard. Some builds get really good, like the ever-popular oradin (oracle paladin) build, though that's more paladin than oracle.

Some curses aren't really curses, while others are very debilitating, even at high levels. Like wolf-scarred. Even at level 20, you still have a one-in-five chance of automatically failing a spell with a verbal component.

The Juju mystery is rather infamous, as its first incarnation allowed non-evil undead, and Juju oracles have an easier time getting along with intelligent undead that they raise, since they automatically share their alignment with the oracle that raised them. Plus with the right revelation, all zombies they raise have max hitpoints, and the oracles can control 50% more than most other casters can.

As for what I'll refer to as the 'native outsiders', they are a mixed blessing. As they lack the humanoid type, they are not capable of receiving a number of spells that are both beneficial and harmful. Enlarge person comes to mind. As well as dominate person.

I think there is at least one plant-type race, and a construct or two.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:12:48 pm by BlackFlyme »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77039 on: May 20, 2015, 10:21:40 pm »

they are not capable of receiving a number of spells that are both beneficial and harmful. Enlarge person comes to mind. As well as dominate person.

Enlarge person being literally the only thing you are hurt for

As well... "Androids" also count as humanoids

And while Wyrwoods are constructs they have all the downsides of being a construct with very few other advantages (They don't seem like they are meant to be playable)
Pages: 1 ... 5134 5135 [5136] 5137 5138 ... 11037