Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5128 5129 [5130] 5131 5132 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494531 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76935 on: May 20, 2015, 02:42:54 am »

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76936 on: May 20, 2015, 02:58:54 am »

I have been wtf'd today. Goodnight you fascinating people.

Also, update; got to request source from father; said he never found a source that actually provides the proposed change. The page he was referring to was an article/blog that was basically a conspiracy theory regarding making belief in conspiracy theories a diagnosable mental disorder. I just horribly misunderstood. Sorry. :-\

Conspiracy theories do fit into the DSM tangentially, as associated with paranoia, and "paranoid personality disorder." Extreme paranoia can also accompany schizophrenia...

I guess whether or not "all conspiracy theorists are batshit insane" is true in your book depends on how you choose to define a conspiracy theory, because it can range from "no, they probably just murdered the guy to keep him from piping up about their insurance fraud. And then collected life insurance on him, too." to "they're putting chemicals in our water making rainbows and controlling our minds!!!"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76937 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:37 am »

My new laptop (kindly provided by the online college I'm studying with) has Windows 8.
Jumping Mecha-Jesus on a rocket-powered pogostick this is awful. I finally understand everyone's complaints about it!
The laptop has an annoying keyboard, too, but the keyboard on my previous laptop wasn't very good, either.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #76938 on: May 20, 2015, 03:35:13 am »

My new laptop (kindly provided by the online college I'm studying with) has Windows 8.
Jumping Mecha-Jesus on a rocket-powered pogostick this is awful. I finally understand everyone's complaints about it!
The laptop has an annoying keyboard, too, but the keyboard on my previous laptop wasn't very good, either.
Oi.
I like Windows 8, and consider your opinion misinformed.
Apologise. or prepare for EXTERMINATION!
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76939 on: May 20, 2015, 03:36:53 am »

It's not too bad once you get used to it, especially if your laptop has a touch screen, but the pop-up parts of the interface are always going to be annoying I'm afraid.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #76940 on: May 20, 2015, 03:39:30 am »

Yeah, Illuminati and 9/11-was-planned type conspiracies tend to be bunk, but the smaller, saner ones... Sometimes they're enough to make you wonder.

I can't even think of a "small", "sane" conspiracy theory, as all the ones I can think of are along the lines of "FDR bombed Pearl Harbor! Sandy Hook was a hoax to push gun control/boost gun sales! The American Indian Never Existed!, etc) could you provide an example?

And a most of the handful of conspiracy theory-esque things that really did happen weren't even on the radar of most of the conspiracy theorists of the time. MKULTRA for example.
That's probably because conspiracies that are sane (well, since we mentioned MKULTRA, sane-ISH) and not everyday some random crime tier are the conspiracies that know what the hell they are doing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76941 on: May 20, 2015, 03:49:15 am »

It's not too bad once you get used to it, especially if your laptop has a touch screen, but the pop-up parts of the interface are always going to be annoying I'm afraid.
I hope you're right. Well, about the "not too bad" part. The pop-up bit is what's really bugging me so far. :-\

@BlitzDungeoneer: Make me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76942 on: May 20, 2015, 03:50:55 am »

I think it's an age thing.

One day, I'll probably complain about the terrible UI of Windows 15 or something too.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76943 on: May 20, 2015, 03:59:04 am »

I think it's an age thing.

One day, I'll probably complain about the terrible UI of Windows 15 or something too.

'The UI makes my cybernetic interface cables itch.'
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76944 on: May 20, 2015, 04:02:44 am »

As if by then we won't be using psychic cats to communicate.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76945 on: May 20, 2015, 04:16:20 am »

As if by then we won't be using psychic cats to communicate.

As if cats would ever deign to use their psychic powers for our benefit.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76946 on: May 20, 2015, 04:26:43 am »

(kindly provided by the online college I'm studying with)
What the hell why does Australia always have better education than NZ.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76947 on: May 20, 2015, 04:35:27 am »

I don't know. *shrug*
There are quite a few colleges/other places of learning that give free laptops as an incentive for people to sign up.

Anyway, new, somewhat-related WTF: I start using the college's "learning management system" for the first time, and the thing starts fucking speaking to me. Like, each page of info has a recorded voice reading it out. What the fuck. If I was blind, I'd have a screenreader. Do they think I can't read? Why are they insulting my intelligence?
Another WTF is just how angry that made me. WTF, self.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76948 on: May 20, 2015, 05:06:33 am »

Yeah, Illuminati and 9/11-was-planned type conspiracies tend to be bunk, but the smaller, saner ones... Sometimes they're enough to make you wonder.
I can't even think of a "small", "sane" conspiracy theory, as all the ones I can think of are along the lines of "FDR bombed Pearl Harbor! Sandy Hook was a hoax to push gun control/boost gun sales! The American Indian Never Existed!, etc) could you provide an example?
Probably most of investigative journalism. Can't think of any examples off the top of my head.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm done listing, there are more, so much more. If I've got time I may do a list of more modern conspiracies.

Real life is not small, nor sane. It is easy to throw an exclamation mark next to a conspiracy theory, misrepresent it, throw it alongside to a drunken buffoon who's convinced they're fisted an alien and dismiss it as fiction. That's why even when conspiracies are revealed, no one really believes them to be true - there are still people calling Edward Snowden a liar, spy and a traitor for example. Take the Pearl Harbour conspiracy, that one is not a conspiracy where FDR bombed Pearl Habour, it is a conspiracy that FDR knew in advance that the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbour (and likewise Churchill knew in advance Singapore would be attacked by Japan) and they both allowed it because it would allow their grand strategy to unfold. America would be able to join the war at a time where the American people were just as likely to support isolation and neutrality, and tip WWII in favour of the allies. Far less outlandish than "muh jet fuel can't melt steel katanas." I don't subscribe to this theory, because efforts to save Singapore and warn of pearl harbour should detail enough that neither side truly wished to suffer such a tactical and strategic defeat, and though American and British intelligence personnel were aware of an impending attack, they were incapable of warning in time due to logistical reasons. I merely disagree with the notion that one should dismiss a conspiracy theory on the basis that it is a conspiracy theory without even looking at the evidence first. Any list of conspiracy theories which have become known as true should detail the folly in rejecting something because it sounds foolish or improbable. There is a reason why David Cameron considers conspiracy theorists to be 'non-violent extremists' just as dangerous as ISIS. Someone shitposting on the internet about suspicious activity raises alarm bells of misconduct amongst the plebs about powers that be, which in turn creates dissent. Uncritically follow all official narratives at your own peril, you will be no better than Slavs convinced that the shooting of  Malaysia airlines flight was a false flag because the state media said so.

* Loud Whispers  melts jet steel with fuel beams.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #76949 on: May 20, 2015, 05:19:45 am »

LW, do you happen to be a journalist of some description or is this just a hobbyist thing from sitting on teh interwebz?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 5128 5129 [5130] 5131 5132 ... 11037