Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5123 5124 [5125] 5126 5127 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14502789 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76860 on: May 19, 2015, 04:41:08 pm »

One more thought about 'punk types: what would one call a 'punk genre based on the period from the mid-60s (after atompunk) through the mid-80s (before cyberpunk)? Transistorpunk? For a less technologically-based name, rockpunk?
Moogpunk!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76861 on: May 19, 2015, 04:45:59 pm »

personal Twitter account
Thinking your tweets are just between you and your friends is pretty damn naive at this point.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76862 on: May 19, 2015, 04:47:55 pm »

One more thought about 'punk types: what would one call a 'punk genre based on the period from the mid-60s (after atompunk) through the mid-80s (before cyberpunk)? Transistorpunk? For a less technologically-based name, rockpunk?
You know, what do you call the vacuum tube based?
To my understanding it's not really a separate type because the vacuum tube age was simultaneous with the "atomic age", so I'd call it atompunk.
By that logic, transistors are still part of cyberpunk. To go with modern times, what do you call the digital based?

Edit. Before anyone says anything, I think cyberpunk still has more focus on the physical hardware so I consider transistors to be part of it. What I mean by digital is a pure software based and I think it deserves its own category to differentiate it from cyberpunk.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:51:55 pm by majikero »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76863 on: May 19, 2015, 04:50:40 pm »

You know, what do you call the vacuum tube based?
To my understanding it's not really a separate type because the vacuum tube age was simultaneous with the "atomic age", so I'd call it atompunk.
By that logic, transistors are still part of cyberpunk. To go with modern times, what do you call the digital based?
Cyberpunk?
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #76864 on: May 19, 2015, 04:51:21 pm »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:18:23 pm by penguinofhonor »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76865 on: May 19, 2015, 05:00:56 pm »

If it had been just an unfortunate/fuckin' deranged hashtag, it wouldn't have been too bad, although even in that case she could've used a fair bit of PR advice. But her defense? Claiming to be non-racist because of her race? Such a person is simply not appropriate for the job she's doing.

She deserves 70 cents on the dollar. Not because she is a woman, because she is an idiot.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76866 on: May 19, 2015, 05:02:38 pm »

The other side of the story, if anyone cares. That imgur post is lying when it says she's "outright stating that she does not want white heterosexual men at her university". That sign was for a meeting for women and nonbinary people who had felt they were being ignored in favor of cis straight men. It's being taken out of context.
The #killallwhitemen thing is also obviously sarcastic. She dumbly made an offensive joke on her personal Twitter account. Woah, that never happens. Personally, I'm tired of internet outrage over dumb tweets, and people losing their jobs over them. This is like that woman who made the kinda racist tweet about Africa and AIDS last year. It was stupid then and it's stupid now.
Oh. Well. This is evidence that imgur is not the most accurate of internet sources.

Really though, she could've phrased that sign on the door a little better.
Yeah, nah. The imgur post was wrong, she was even worse. The meeting was an anti-racist meeting and this was the UCLU's justification of her telling any white men invited to not show up:
"Whilst allies in defeating oppression are appreciated, it is important in discussions and organisational meetings that the individuals that are experiencing oppression are the ones leading their liberation.
"This is not always possible when individuals with more privilege are present as the power imbalance can dominate and drown out oppressed voices."
Maximum privilege chekt b4 u rekt achieved.
In response to her criticisms she had this to say:
 "There have been charges made against me, that I am racist and sexist to white men. I want to explain why this is false. I, an ethnic minority woman, cannot be racist or sexist to white men, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.
"And therefore women of colour and non-binary genders cannot be racist or sexist as we do not stand to benefit from such a system."
hahahahahahaha
THE TUMBLR HOLE GOES DEEPER
She then adds: "Reverse racism and reverse sexism are not real."
Yeah, she's right though, what she's doing is just called racism and sexism. To top it all off she used the Campus's official twitter to call people white trash. Best part of all this is I got this all from huffington post. "More progressive than the guardian" huffington post. The crazies are drifting harder left than a country run by Stalin in charge of an industrial nuclear-powered left upper leg remover.
Hufflepostarticles if you're interested.
I'm interested in finding her original #killallmen tweet. Some people have argued that even as a joke, a #killalljews #killallwomen or anything else along those lines would not be tolerated and so to tolerate #killallmen would be bigoted, but frankly I don't give a shit about coddling people's exposure to anything mean and edgy so I'll just leave that to Bay12ers to decide on their own how they feel. If she gets fired though, honestly nothing of value was lost, she's got her own political agenda and she's completely shameless in her use of a bloody University to further it. Good on the Turks for defending the secularism in their Unis, I say good to whatever feminists signed that petition. I'm still more pissed that the inventor of javascript was punished by being forced to retire into his enormous piles of wealth at any one of his paradise mansions by SJWs, thereby depriving the world of a juicier mozilla firefox browser that wiped the floor with chrome and any other browsers which sold your information to GCHQ. Actively making the internet shitter.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:09:46 pm by Loud Whispers »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76867 on: May 19, 2015, 05:06:58 pm »

I think most people can be given examples of people they'll sympathize with whose lives have been ruined by dumb internet outrage. The biggest hurdle this has to face is the attitude of "Normally I'm with you on stuff like this, but sometimes the world needs an internet mob (i.e. whenever the mob agrees with me)."
I read a pretty damn good horror story (horror in the sense of dystopian horror, not 2spooky horror) about a world where this sort of internet mob justice goes out of hand and a journalist goes around meeting people who got ruined by other folks on the internet, then meets those people on the internet who are utterly indifferent. Only thing is, now that has actually happened in real life. That's 3spooky5me

Honestly my hopes with mob justice don't lie in the morality of it, rather the practicality. I hope that this drives people to finally stop putting their lives on the internet and making themselves vulnerable to aforementioned mobs of fools and aggravated fools. No matter who the mob targets, all will see the value in not being an open facebook.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76868 on: May 19, 2015, 05:07:28 pm »

Such a skeleton must be the work of a powerful necromancer.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76869 on: May 19, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »

Heh, reminded a little bit again of my sociology course. The teacher definitely had a bias against men. Didn't show through too often, but it did at times.
Spoiler: Because size (click to show/hide)

I can see why people would be angry about this. Though I wonder why some people think they can put something on the internet and not feel the repercussions. Additionally, just because you are not at work doesn't mean they cannot react to what you do. You always represent your place of employment, even if you are off hours and/or are placing things on the internet. Even now, I would be responsible if I were to do or say something that harmed my work on this very forum, even though this account is not directly linked to me.

I think this should be taught in schools. I was told this time and time again in my various management classes and my business law course that I could be held accountable for what I post on the internet, even if it's something like a hidden web-page.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76870 on: May 19, 2015, 05:16:29 pm »

It's not about what you say, it's about you being the kind of person who says what you say. You're in trouble for your intrinsic qualities and/or the embarassment you cause, not for your statements etc. per se.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76871 on: May 19, 2015, 05:17:08 pm »

"There have been charges made against me, that I am racist and sexist to white men Jews. I want to explain why this is false. I, an ethnic minority woman German, cannot be racist or sexist to white men Jews, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.
"And therefore women of colour and non-binary genders Germans cannot be racist or sexist as we do not stand to benefit from such a system."
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76872 on: May 19, 2015, 05:19:59 pm »

oy vey

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76873 on: May 19, 2015, 05:22:53 pm »

"There have been charges made against me, that I am racist and sexist to white men Jews. I want to explain why this is false. I, an ethnic minority woman German, cannot be racist or sexist to white men Jews, because racism and sexism describes structures of privilege based on race and gender.
"And therefore women of colour and non-binary genders Germans cannot be racist or sexist as we do not stand to benefit from such a system."
r/menkampf

Mein #TöteAllenJuden and "Jew Trash" tveets vere not antisemitic because zey are in-jokes and vays zat many people in ze German nationalist community express ourselves.

It's a vay of reclaiming ze power from ze trauma many of us experience as gentiles, nationalists, Germans, who are on ze receivink end of Jewry, communism und internationalism daily.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:34:39 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76874 on: May 19, 2015, 05:30:27 pm »

At the gym today.

"I like your T-shirt!" says a random girl.

My T-shirt has a picture of knuckles on it (image taken from web by me, printed and ironed onto the shirt by me dad.)

"Who is that? It's like Sonic, but it's not Sonic... It's... It's Red Sonic!"

Yes. Yes! You're totally correct. XD
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.
Pages: 1 ... 5123 5124 [5125] 5126 5127 ... 11037