Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5121 5122 [5123] 5124 5125 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14501971 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76830 on: May 19, 2015, 03:06:17 pm »

Teapotpunk

...Yea that does kinda make anything it's with sound better.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76832 on: May 19, 2015, 03:09:00 pm »

I think the punk part is supposed to refer to the PCs being members of the downtrodden underclass that tends to exist in -punk settings.

Normally in my experience such settings tend to focus on the idea that the main characters are street-rats/urchins, eccentric inventors looked down on by high society, labourers for oppressive corporations, so on and so forth. It doesn't hold true for steampunk as much as it does for the others, dieselpunk and cyberpunk are probably the most likely to be dystopian.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76833 on: May 19, 2015, 03:11:33 pm »

Teapotpunk

... y'know, if you make that teapot a reference to russel's, that might actually make an interesting vaguely absurdist setting. Tech powered by stuff that's conceptually there, but unprovable (or near infinitely unlikely to be proved) and unproven, with a great many very intelligent people very pointedly not investigating things to keep the world powered. The great villain of the setting could be someone that's actually started "collecting teapots," so to speak, causing massive destabilization across the world/galaxy/whatever as impossible clarktech starts to fail.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76834 on: May 19, 2015, 03:11:41 pm »

University's diversity officer is tumblr tiered hater.

OHH GAWD!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76835 on: May 19, 2015, 03:13:23 pm »

I think it refers to the fact that "punk" is kind of a cool word.
That too.

I do think that the usage of 'punk has its limits. For example, "biopunk" doesn't really seem like its own thing, because I don't know of any pure "biopunk" settings and most examples given are just biologically-flavored forms of other punk settings. Another way of saying it is that 'punk generally indicates aesthetic while "biopunk" usually indicates themes or plot devices.

Re: Diversity Officer
People in the SJsphere are defending her, saying "Yes, it is in fact impossible for disabled queer wömyn of color to be racist/sexist against white men!" I expect people on this very forum will do the same, and because discussions on this issue never seem to change anyone's minds and just create bitterness I will instead question her argument in other respects.

Namely, she seems to be of Turkish descent based on her name, and with that combined with her skin color ("Rose-Tinted Beach Sand") I don't think anyone would consider her non-white. Non-European, perhaps, if they heard her name, but that's a matter of culture/religion rather than race.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:19:47 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76836 on: May 19, 2015, 03:17:11 pm »

University's diversity officer is tumblr tiered hater.
DIVERSIFY THAT CAN CITIZEN, OR FACE CULTURAL ENRICHMENT.

It is appropriate material for the "things that made you terrified thread" that those SJWs earnestly strive for positions of power... Reminds me of that one SJW who was trying to become in charge of University admissions so she could reject as many white men as possible. Or that one German admissions officer who began turning down indian men because they're from a country which apparently condones rapists. Or that one who was allowed to fuck up 30 years worth of blue-eyed children in the name of diversity.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76837 on: May 19, 2015, 03:18:33 pm »

I don't exactly get why people often separate the Genders and Orientations in such a way as if they are like... "Against one another"

Like... as if Straight and Gay people are in this eternal conflict with one another... among other things.

I always thought of it as a person's trait... not as an actual... like... person. As if you could go to planet straight to find the people of the straight.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76838 on: May 19, 2015, 03:20:40 pm »

I don't exactly get why people often separate the Genders and Orientations in such a way as if they are like... "Against one another"

Like... as if Straight and Gay people are in this eternal conflict with one another... among other things.

I always thought of it as a person's trait... not as an actual... like... person. As if you could go to planet straight to find the people of the straight.
Look, people need enemies to justify their actions. If you ban certain kind of them (like racism), people will invent more.
._.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76839 on: May 19, 2015, 03:23:33 pm »

Teapotpunk

... y'know, if you make that teapot a reference to russel's, that might actually make an interesting vaguely absurdist setting. Tech powered by stuff that's conceptually there, but unprovable (or near infinitely unlikely to be proved) and unproven, with a great many very intelligent people very pointedly not investigating things to keep the world powered. The great villain of the setting could be someone that's actually started "collecting teapots," so to speak, causing massive destabilization across the world/galaxy/whatever as impossible clarktech starts to fail.

Or a Teapotpunk setting could be a alternate version of Earth where the British Empire successfully conquered the entire world, homogenised all cultures before collapsing to internal strife and devolved into a number of countries ruled by corrupt members of the gentry, criminal industrial barons, with all cultures having developed and diverged from the stereotypical tea drinking suit and top hat wearing Brit aesthetic.

All nurses are shy and attractive until they get promoted at which point they become fierce women built like bears, all disputes are sorted out with a bout of honorable fisticuffs, soldiers are promoted based on the gloriousness of their moustache, all buildings are drab and dreary and impoliteness is justification for assassination!

People are tribal, ridiculously so. They like to find a group to call 'us' and then find a group to think of as 'them', which they proceed to hate.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76840 on: May 19, 2015, 03:27:01 pm »

I saw a post from Tumblr a few days back that called Dr. Seuss a rape apologist for something about "Green Eggs and Ham" and if that's what they think of Dr. Seuss it explains why none of them seem to have read "The Sneetches" as kids.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76841 on: May 19, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »

Maybe they read the seven lady godivas instead?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76842 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »

It is a useful tool for masters to divide their subjects and pit them against one another. That, and the whole tumblr identity politics thing is inherently self destructive, with everyone trying to become the specialest snowflake. I still remember the hilarious things white feminists were saying to black feminists when the latter accused the former on tumblr of only campaigning for the former. #notyourshield was a more recent example, but that one wasn't as funny. The only particularly funny thing I can recall from it was when prominent SJWs started accusing everyone of using #notyourshield of being white men, as if that was even a legitimate criticism. Cue all these minorities and women apologizing for being white men lel

I saw a post from Tumblr a few days back that called Dr. Seuss a rape apologist for something about "Green Eggs and Ham" and if that's what they think of Dr. Seuss it explains why none of them seem to have read "The Sneetches" as kids.
Dr. Seuss was a shitlord who triggers sufferers of disassociative disorder and people who got food poisoning from rotten eggs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76843 on: May 19, 2015, 03:40:06 pm »

I expect people on this very forum will do the same,

Very unlikely, unless there's more to this than what we can tell from that imgur post.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76844 on: May 19, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »

I also think part of it is they want some designated villain.

"Dang we have some social issues... But who can we blame? WHOME!!!"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:00:11 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 5121 5122 [5123] 5124 5125 ... 11037