Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5116 5117 [5118] 5119 5120 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494470 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76755 on: May 19, 2015, 10:56:09 am »

Couldn't sleep last night. Parents and whoever the hell else was there were still up and talking(and one of the dogs barking) till close to midnight. All the lights in the neighborhood also seemed to be shining directly at my face, and I have little to block the window with. Woke up(sorta) to find that my computer decided to randomly delete several folders, not files, but entire folders, including my KSP save that I've been working on for at least a week. No idea how that happened.

Could your computer have been tampered with?

And have you checked the recycle bin folder? maybe the files and folders haven't been permanently deleted yet

From what I could tell, it happened during the cleanup of that registry corruption the other day. The save folder was one of the folders that CHKDISK flagged as having something wrong with it. I can't remember what step of CHKDISK it was noticed, or what the other folders/files were, either.

Nobody could have physically tampered with it, I'm the only one with access to it/knowledge of how to computer, and the only time I left it alone was when CHKDISK(which takes several hours for an integrity scan) was running. Might have been a virus picked up off of those Humble Store games I bought the day before all that happened, since that's when stuff started happening.

Look for a folder called found.000 or something like that. Inside, you will find more files with similar names. That is where your files went. CHKDSK moves orphaned cluster chains (files that lose their handle in the  MFT) to this location.  Good luck getting the correct file names back.

I found no such folders.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76756 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:29 am »

not found?

then chkdsk must have deleted the cluster chains instead of saving them. Very sad.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76757 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:07 am »

He might enjoy powernap (comic) as well.
Looked at powernap, will have to continue it.  At least one of the perks of this job is that I can browse the web between calls.  (I'm actually working right now)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76758 on: May 19, 2015, 11:03:38 am »

Undetectable Alignment absolutely foils alignment-detecting divinations, no opposed roll.

Nope... Undetectable Alignment OUTRIGHT makes you suspicious.

Since "Detect Magic"

"Ohh look, I am looking for evil... and your the only one with a spell cast on them. I wonder which one it is"

And before you say "But you have no evidence" you can also say "Well then drop your spell and let me cast detect alignment again"

Note that if you have a spell that SPECIFICALLY tells you someone's alignment outright... It instantly tells you they are hiding their alignment which always means they are evil. You need the spell that gives people a false alignment reading.

Yeah, if you're the only person in a lineup with an enchantment, that's going to be suspicious.  In that situation you do need something else like Misdirection which is bard/arcane level 2.  Edit: And allows a will save, it's definitely beatable.

In an attempt to be funny, I'm imagining a paladin stopping a farmer, staring at them for 18 seconds, then shouting "DROP YOUR SPELLS EVIL SCUM"!  And the poor farmer can't because it was the local priest who cast it, and it's actually Endure Elements, it's ever so hot today and - "YOU WERE WARNED"

Or a chaotic evil bard hanging out near the jail casting "undetectable alignment" on suspects as they're taken in.  Hehe.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:06:34 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76759 on: May 19, 2015, 11:06:19 am »

am I the only one who imagined the mighty paladin being the one using the spell to infiltrate a cabaal of demon summoning a-holes, who screen for goodness at the door?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76760 on: May 19, 2015, 11:08:49 am »

I actually heard a story about a murder mystery type deal in a dnd game.  Somebody just went around detecting evil on everyone and the gm for the lols decided to make the butler evil in response.  Butler instantly got blamed.  Turned out the butler was an asshole, but wasn't the evil cultist or whatnot.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:11:40 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76761 on: May 19, 2015, 11:11:42 am »

was it the true neutral elven druid dignitary from BFE forest land?

assuming the right circumstances, the true neutral would be compelled to do such things you see...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76762 on: May 19, 2015, 11:13:50 am »

Isn't murder technically a Chaotic act anyway? I mean, there are laws against murder, which apply even if the victim themselves is Evil or if it was done for a "good" reason.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76763 on: May 19, 2015, 11:16:33 am »

Isn't murder technically a Chaotic act anyway? I mean, there are laws against murder, which apply even if the victim themselves is Evil or if it was done for a "good" reason.
Murder is an evil act. Not chaotic.

""Evil" implies hurting, oppressing, and killing others. Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient. Others actively pursue evil, killing for sport or out of duty to some evil deity or master. "

From d20srd.
._.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76764 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:50 am »

It's only chaotic evil if it wasn't premeditated
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76765 on: May 19, 2015, 11:20:43 am »

It could have been a lawful good person.  They might have even had a good reason, or been hunting a bounty or something...  Or, just getting revenge in an alignment-defying way.

Heck, depending on the nature of the "murder", it could have been a very clever paladin.  They just couldn't lie about it, and probably had to give the target an opportunity to fight back.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76766 on: May 19, 2015, 11:21:26 am »

The true neutral alignment is neutral law, neutral good/evil.  They can do pretty much anything, but it tips thier alignment to do it, so if they do something evil, they have to undergo catharsis to move back to neutral again, etc.

These tend to "just not care" about lawfulness for the most part, and view extreme alignments as extreme-- either way.

If we say that the murder victim was the very popular goody two shoes, who was campaigning for legal reforms that would better apprehend and punish evil, the true neutral would be morally obligated to neutralize the situation, since they hold neutrality as the ideal condition. (balance. swinging too far good, too far lawful, too far evil, or too far chaotic is very bad in their eyes.)

so while murder is a chaotic action, the true neutral would see it as acceptable under the correct circumstances.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76767 on: May 19, 2015, 11:30:16 am »

In other words, True Neutral characters are batshit insane.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76768 on: May 19, 2015, 11:30:48 am »

In other words, True Neutral characters are batshit insane.

No, they could just have a atypical morality system that doesn't rely on the axis.

It is why the Archetypical Samurai is Lawful Neutral.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76769 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:22 am »

Lawful Good literally just means "plays by rules" and "tries to do good stuff".

People keep thinking that the alignment system is super specific. It's just a vague description of kind of what your character roughly stands for. Possibly.
I played a lawful good paladin at one point who was Space Marine levels of obsessed with stamping out everything evil. They also wielded a warhammer, which in hindsight could have been taken as a clever reference.
Pages: 1 ... 5116 5117 [5118] 5119 5120 ... 11037