Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5103 5104 [5105] 5106 5107 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504080 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76560 on: May 17, 2015, 10:16:38 am »

What I was getting at is that the biggest fail of an alignment system is that it gets interpreted by everyone in a different way, thus making it unusable as a system because it keeps producing all sorts of stupid arguments due to the bad choice of words.

Better to just deal away with the loaded words like "Good", "Evil", "Lawful" and "Chaotic" and just make them "White", "Black", "Blue", and "Red". And True Neutral as "Green".

That is more of an issue with "Anal DMs" then an issue with the system itself and leftovers from earlier editions where alignments were very strict... but that was back when roleplay was actually rather secondary.

Ultimately the alignment system is best ignored as it is a tool.

Since a Lawful Good person who murders someone for sneezing on them... isn't going to stop being Lawful Good even though they did an act of great evil.

As long as alignment isn't being abused (and as long as your not a Cleric or Paladin or some sort of class that RELIES on sticking to a dogma) it shouldn't matter what the PCs decide to do.

The issue with alignment system is never "The complexity of human morality" but rather "People who apply anal retentive restrictions on that alignment and force people into narrow roles based on them"...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:18:47 am by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76561 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:53 am »

Better to just deal away with the loaded words like "Good", "Evil", "Lawful" and "Chaotic" and just make them "White", "Black", "Blue", and "Red". And True Neutral as "Green".
and colors are not loaded?

i mean just look here.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76562 on: May 17, 2015, 10:23:37 am »

and colors are not loaded?

i mean just look here.
fucking christ what the hell

Okay then how about "Alignment №1", "Alignment №2" and so on? Surely there aren't any hidden bullshit meanings in numbers, right?

Right?
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #76563 on: May 17, 2015, 10:25:45 am »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:14:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #76564 on: May 17, 2015, 10:42:01 am »

Okay then how about "Alignment №1", "Alignment №2" and so on? Surely there aren't any hidden bullshit meanings in numbers, right?

Right?

13 is unlucky, 4 represents death, 7 is lucky, 1 is the best, 2 is the most balanced, 3 is the wild card, 5 is lawful.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76565 on: May 17, 2015, 10:42:36 am »

As 1 comes first, it is obviously superior.

But seriously, it's best not to take alignment seriously. People being anal about it tends to create conflict in parties, as there are many ways to interpret alignments. For example, a knight templar paladin who slays anything that gets even the slightest ping from detect evil, versus a paladin who tries their damnedest to redeem any enemy they encounter.

I was once given shit from another player for not turning around and attacking our party shaman after I got caught in an aoe spell, because "lawful wouldn't accept friendly fire, and would punish the one who did it", even though the shaman asked if they should cast, and I said go for it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #76566 on: May 17, 2015, 11:10:56 am »

haha did Sergarr accidentally invent the MTG color pie?

I would totally support using that over D&D alignment anyway. It's much more interesting.
I honestly thought he used colors on purpose.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76567 on: May 17, 2015, 11:15:10 am »

If those are the exact colours of Magick then I think we can probably assume it was on purpose.
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #76568 on: May 17, 2015, 11:16:57 am »

If those are the exact colours of Magick then I think we can probably assume it was on purpose.
The colours are the same, but his usage of them and his second response indicate it was accidental.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76569 on: May 17, 2015, 11:17:03 am »

It was actually on accident. I just thought of the first colors that are vaguely associated with the alignment concepts, and only after I wrote down then, I've noticed that they're actually MtG colors.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76570 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:20 am »

Surely there aren't any hidden bullshit meanings in numbers, right?

Right?
Ha ha ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76571 on: May 17, 2015, 11:20:36 am »

And then DnD was secretly the Illuminati.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76572 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:49 am »

To be fair, I'd totally give props to a D&D campaign that had Count von Count as the final boss.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76573 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:04 am »

You guys are picking on poor Scriver. Stop that. :P

In seriousness:
How long have tabletop games been out Scriver?  Something like 40+ years now?  That's a lot of time, with a lot of collaborations, and a lot of brain storming by a lot of people who wanted to make something new and edgy.  That all the low hanging fruit has been picked already is not unexpected.  At this point in the game, you just need to ignore that other systems have used something similar in the past.  Think about the problem you are trying to address as clearly and logically as you can, then address it. It does not matter if somebody else has already done something similar. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76574 on: May 17, 2015, 11:27:18 am »

To be fair, I'd totally give props to a D&D campaign that had Count von Count as the final boss.

FOUR!  FOUR adventurers! Ha Ha Ha!

Count Von Count casts DEADLY MONOLOGUE (Rolls natural 40! Deals 12D6 damage!)

The thief has been slain by the deadly monologue! He slumps to the floor as blood seeps from his tortured ears.

THREE! THREE adventurers! HA HA HA!

The Elven Wizard casts Blindness at the Count.  Count von Count fails his defensive roll! The Count is blinded!
Count von Count casts IMAGINARY IMAGERY Deals 3D40 against the elven wizard's willpower!

The Elven wizard grabs his head, shrieking about birds and elephants (Elves cannot sleep).

Count von count is no longer blinded!

TWO! TWO ADVENTURERS! HAHAHAHA!

The Human Barbarian bashes Count von Count in the face with his Spiked Club +4. The Count counters by reflecting damage, and casts COUNTING BONES.

The human barbarian falls to the floor as a quivering mass boneless flesh, as the count counts them.

ONE! ONE ADVENTURER! HAHAHAHA!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 11:47:41 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 5103 5104 [5105] 5106 5107 ... 11037