Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5090 5091 [5092] 5093 5094 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14510374 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76365 on: May 15, 2015, 10:46:17 am »

GIMP is pretty intuitive man, I don't get what your problem is. There's even a menu that shows specifically your recently closed docks.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76366 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:03 am »

Bleh, trying to contact an attorney, I'm so far stonewalled at leaving a message for some group I can't even remember the name of anymore(despite learning it an hour and a half ago) in New York(City, or at least, County, judging from the area code).

At least beforehand, I made sure to examine relevant laws and found that the legal definition of discrimination is actually much broader than what I originally thought, which puts the way my job has treated me much more into the "not that legal" range than I had figured - turns out it doesn't even have to be intentional. Good to know.

Only none of this helps when my mother is, not two days after her demands of me finding another job, demanding a status report as though finding a new job is both something I'm focusing on and something that can be handled in 48 hours. Seriously, I'm not even off work for a week yet. Get the fuck off my back, Mom.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76367 on: May 15, 2015, 11:08:48 am »

GIMP is pretty intuitive man, I don't get what your problem is. There's even a menu that shows specifically your recently closed docks.

Suuuuure it is...

Now I need to erase these lines...

Do I click Pencil? Nope! because that would create white lines
Do I click Eraser? Nope! that doesn't erase things (at least, not straight forward)

Intuitive my butt!

Microsoft Paint: "Hmm I need to erase this line... Do I click Eraser? yes? Done!"

Whatever, in typical Gimp style in order to use a simple feature... I had to use a completely unrelated feature.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:14:08 am by Neonivek »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76368 on: May 15, 2015, 11:17:07 am »

Select a drawing tool > "Mode" > "Color erase"

As scrdest said, GIMP generally avoids redundant features. If the function you want can be part of an existing tool, why create a new one?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76369 on: May 15, 2015, 11:28:40 am »

Wait, what do you mean by erase not working intuitively? It converts everything under it to transparency (if you have transparency) or to the background color (if you don't). And if transparency isn't what you wanted, then painting (or penciling, or whatever) the background color is exactly what you're after, presumably, or else I don't know what you mean by erase.

EDIT: I mean, I do think GIMP isn't the most intuitive thing in the world for casual use but this particular objection seems bizarre to me.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #76370 on: May 15, 2015, 11:33:42 am »

Well, someone called in a bomb threat to my building today. Police evacuated the labs and pretty much told us to go home for the day.

Instead of letting us have our windfall three day weekend, our boss tells us to reconvene at the labs at 4pm, to see if anything has changed. I'm beginning to wonder if he's hiding pointy hair.

Gah. I could've been asleep.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76371 on: May 15, 2015, 11:35:10 am »

Animal right's activists?

My brother often had to deal with those.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #76372 on: May 15, 2015, 11:40:44 am »

No idea, but I don't think so. The building is chemistry/physics hub on campus. I don't really think we use living creatures beyond bacteria cell cultures. All the tissue samples we work with are dead as doornails, so I can't imagine anyone being terrible upset about us shooting them with lasers.

People are crazy. Though if this is some idiot's drunken payback for washing out of physics, I may strangle them.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76373 on: May 15, 2015, 11:50:43 am »

Wait, what do you mean by erase not working intuitively? It converts everything under it to transparency (if you have transparency) or to the background color (if you don't). And if transparency isn't what you wanted, then painting (or penciling, or whatever) the background color is exactly what you're after, presumably, or else I don't know what you mean by erase.

EDIT: I mean, I do think GIMP isn't the most intuitive thing in the world for casual use but this particular objection seems bizarre to me.

Erase is a soft erase, you need to use a different tool if you want to outright erase something.

The best way to describe it is Gimp's Erase tool is "Cool erasure effects tool"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76374 on: May 15, 2015, 11:54:36 am »

No idea, but I don't think so. The building is chemistry/physics hub on campus. I don't really think we use living creatures beyond bacteria cell cultures. All the tissue samples we work with are dead as doornails, so I can't imagine anyone being terrible upset about us shooting them with lasers.

Zombie animal rights activists?

Zombie animal rights activists.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #76375 on: May 15, 2015, 11:59:05 am »

The eraser tool has a transparency slider and hard edge setting. I've never had a problem with it.

What version are you using? 2.8 went a long way for the interface, IMO.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76376 on: May 15, 2015, 12:01:23 pm »

2.8.6 So I have no excuse there

>_< But now is the hard part because I need to create land masses and water masses.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150759.0

I am doing this and getting frustrated mostly because none of the tools are here so I have to basically... make my own.

The next part I know is going to be the most aggravating and mind numbing part of all because Gimp HATES me drawing natural lines and never corrects my squiggles.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:05:34 pm by Neonivek »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76377 on: May 15, 2015, 12:16:22 pm »

Annoying Orange wizard is being kind of fun recently.
One wheel short of a wagon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76378 on: May 15, 2015, 12:27:24 pm »

2.8.6 So I have no excuse there

>_< But now is the hard part because I need to create land masses and water masses.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150759.0

I am doing this and getting frustrated mostly because none of the tools are here so I have to basically... make my own.

The next part I know is going to be the most aggravating and mind numbing part of all because Gimp HATES me drawing natural lines and never corrects my squiggles.

forgive my ignorance here, but why not use DF's height map exporter, then a map visualizer? (there are several freeware ones to choose from)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76379 on: May 15, 2015, 12:35:13 pm »

I need to make this into a real setting... >_<

I've been having a hard time coming up with a Pathfinder setting to run... and I am tired of not getting it done. So I am just going through the steps.

As much as DF's stuff is nice, it lacks a certain level of transparency I need.
Pages: 1 ... 5090 5091 [5092] 5093 5094 ... 11037