Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5074 5075 [5076] 5077 5078 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514011 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76125 on: May 12, 2015, 05:51:23 pm »

I can never get over how a bunch of particles manage to possess the ability to think.
That is, assuming that they can think, but that's a whole 'nother confusion.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76126 on: May 12, 2015, 05:52:33 pm »

They can think and are thinking, unless you somehow consider it not to be thinking if it doesn't fit some arbitrary definition that doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76128 on: May 12, 2015, 05:54:01 pm »

Why do semantics even exist and we aren't able to telepathically communicate through pure ideas? How do chairs even exist and not exist at the same time? aaaaaa
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #76129 on: May 12, 2015, 05:55:10 pm »

Why do semantics even exist and we aren't able to telepathically communicate through pure ideas?
If we could telepathically communicate through pure ideas... I think that would require a completely different brain structure, for starters...
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76130 on: May 12, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »

Why do semantics even exist and we aren't able to telepathically communicate through pure ideas? How do chairs even exist and not exist at the same time? aaaaaa

Semantics exist because that's the first thing that happened and telepathic communication is difficult at best.

Chairs exist. They don't not exist. I'm sitting one one right now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76131 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:27 pm »

Guess it depends on what you think thinking is. It's not all that special! When people encounter things like machines that play games very well or something, they have a tendency to be really impressed with how clever it is, right up until it's explained how it works. At that point they tend to go, "Oh, I guess it wasn't all that clever after all, it was just following an algorithm." Which strikes me as a strange way to look at it, as though the understanding sucked out the magic. Far cooler, I say, that an algorithm can be so clever!

Of course, chairs are an interesting thing. They're exactly as real as minds, and for the same reasons.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76132 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:24 pm »

You aren't actually sitting on a "chair" because there is no such thing as a perfect, idealized chair. You are sitting on a hunk of woodplasticmetalwhatever which in turn are made out of molecules which are aaaaaaaaaaaa

i need to stop thinking

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #76133 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:46 pm »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:43:29 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76134 on: May 12, 2015, 05:59:04 pm »

You aren't actually sitting on a "chair" because there is no such thing as a perfect, idealized chair. You are sitting on a hunk of woodplasticmetalwhatever which in turn are made out of molecules which are aaaaaaaaaaaa
Yes, exactly. And yet, if I bash you over the head with one, will it not hurt? Reality: It doesn't stop with a sea of particles. Higher levels of abstraction have meaning, too!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76135 on: May 12, 2015, 06:00:10 pm »

You aren't actually sitting on a "chair" because there is no such thing as a perfect, idealized chair.
If it's got multiple legs, a flat surface, and some sort of back rest, then it's a chair.

Though yes there are more chairs that don't exist than do. By far. Sadly much of the universe has a distinct lack of chairs :(
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76136 on: May 12, 2015, 06:01:11 pm »

Abstraction is so weird and the idea if there existing a fundamental objective measure of them is so weird.

Lovecraft is right, chairs are freaking elder gods.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #76137 on: May 12, 2015, 06:02:10 pm »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:44:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76138 on: May 12, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »

Though yes there are more chairs that don't exist than do. By far. Sadly much of the universe has a distinct lack of chairs :(

We need to remedy this with a program that builds chairs and launches them into space by the thousands.
This is how you cause a grey goo made of chairs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76139 on: May 12, 2015, 06:04:26 pm »

In other news, I just noticed the title on the top of the forum is trying to eat us.

II:
^
Graawr

... it's fitting, isn't it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 5074 5075 [5076] 5077 5078 ... 11037