Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5072 5073 [5074] 5075 5076 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514201 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76095 on: May 12, 2015, 09:53:15 am »

I think I watched a few episodes, because it was the only anime on a classic channel, known for broadcasting animes between 4pm and 6pm, when kids get home and eat their afternoon snack (and, well, 17yo me was childish).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76096 on: May 12, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

I'd chime in and say it isn't an anime...

But given its excessive use of stock footage for plays, the female characters getting less competent and relevant as the show goes along, and the pirates all being good guys... It feels like an anime.

The thing that actually pushed me into saying the show is bad though is more because characters don't have emotional consistency at least when it comes to how the show progresses. Some of it can be excused in that they are playing them a bit more realistically (even if you DO get in a big fight with your best friend... it isn't likely you will stay mad at them forever), but other just feels like they dropped the drama for no other reason then they were tired of it... making the show feel rather shallow. Sure it has a LOT more drama then a typical show (everyone has their drama llamas) but that doesn't amount to much when they will so easily let go of it or bring it back... In otherwords it feels like "Drama as the plot demands".

What made it mediocre mind you was that not only were the characters rather stock... but the show had a very poor way at making you see or understand the flow of the game. They just hit the ball a bunch and MAYBE they are at the net, maybe not... This isn't aided by the stock footage. As well the enemy teams are almost always just generic players with helmets on and they never EVER try to pull you into the world of the opposing team (except MAYBE the pirates).

As well the power of the show the "Breath" becomes rather generic as the show goes along (Just think of it as magical sports playing powers). They don't focus enough on differentiating the characters, through their breath, and thus they often all feel the same. When they all have "Jump in the air and hit the ball really hard" powers, it kind of stops being special.

In otherwords it fails as a drama, it fails as a sports show, and it fails to live up to its own premise.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:09:54 am by Neonivek »

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76097 on: May 12, 2015, 10:36:44 am »

Yeah, I agree : it's bad.
But it aired at a time where there was nearly no other cartoon/anime/child-oriented content, using a theme that was very popular. Hence success (well, relative success).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76098 on: May 12, 2015, 10:50:34 am »

Yeah, I agree : it's bad.
But it aired at a time where there was nearly no other cartoon/anime/child-oriented content, using a theme that was very popular. Hence success (well, relative success).
So a captive audience.  Seems par for the course, back in the day.  Though, probably still prevalent in housing that have tv, but no internet or still only has dial-up.

I've watched so many cartoons as a kid, only cause there was nothing better on.  Well, there was the sci-fi channel.  So many good memories... Sliders, Pretender, X-Files, Farscape, Stargate, Xena, Hercules, Star Trek and probably some others.  (Maybe some of them were on the USA(???) channel, but close enough.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76099 on: May 12, 2015, 11:22:07 am »

Independence, self-reliance can be vitally important to building self esteem.  Say ones parents visit, and before they leave they buy a bunch of dishes as a gift.  It's generous of them, yeah, but there are implications.  Maybe the person is happy with their dishware situation, or doesn't like the style, but what can they do?  Accept the gift, and be reminded of the shame every time they open the cupboard, or refuse and come off as an oversensitive, ungrateful asshole.

Or, you know, give them to a friend or to a second hand shop.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76100 on: May 12, 2015, 11:25:00 am »

Ok I am getting sick and tired of people bringing up "Highest grossing film" as an accomplishment.

It wouldn't be a problem except that often it feels like its value is overstated.

Mostly because a lot of these movies are "highest grossing" simply because you aren't factoring inflation. It just feels like "Yeah we had a successful movie THIS YEAR, good thing our dollar values have higher numbers now we can say we had the best movie!"

Factor inflation and Titanic STILL kicks Avatar's butt.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76101 on: May 12, 2015, 11:56:39 am »

Apparently the new AssCred game is going to actually be about someone fighting for the underclasses against an oppressive regime.

It only took 4 games for them to remember what the fuck the series was about.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76102 on: May 12, 2015, 11:57:33 am »

Running around aimlessly on rooftops?

Because that's the entire reason those games are fun.

I'm not even kidding. I love it.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76103 on: May 12, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »

Wait, they're releasing them so fast (they feel like they're not game developpers but only mappers now, from an exterior point of view), I don't remember :
Is the new one the France one of the Japan one ?
Or did they already announced the next one before the release of the new one ?
God, they feel so much like FIFA games...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76104 on: May 12, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »

Well, FIFA games make people happy when they come out annually... and people like the glitches.

Though the excessive masturbation glitch in AC Frredom Cry or whatever was quite good, Unity was terrible.
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76105 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:21 pm »

Apparently the new AssCred game is going to actually be about someone fighting for the underclasses against an oppressive regime.

It only took 4 games for them to remember what the fuck the series was about.

I never really thought "fighting for the underclass against an oppressive regime" was the point of the game.

If anything I often found the vilification of the Knights Templar (with odd historical upgrades) and the glorification of the Ashashish (as well as eliminating the HEAVY religious elements that went into the real Ashashish because the main character being a devout follower of Islam would make him unlikable... even though he would be) to be kind of hilarious in that they tried as hard as they could to make the main character the hero and basically had to rewrite the history books in order to do it.

The point of the game was to see the world through a particular historical view point, stealth, and assassinations.

Of which... Stealth and Assassinations have been eliminated...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:27:52 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76106 on: May 12, 2015, 12:27:49 pm »

wait what
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #76107 on: May 12, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:43:01 pm by penguinofhonor »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76108 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:43 pm »

wait what
I wouldn't say assassinations were eliminated (though the game is pretty selective about who you can and
can't kill), but stealth? Yeah. Stealth in AC is either break line of sight but still tail them thanks to 3rd person camera or stand near people and become invisible despite unique robes. The white robes and hood really only made sense in the first game where there were scholars with similar clothes all over the place.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76109 on: May 12, 2015, 12:51:25 pm »

-snip-
As far as I recall, up until AC4 the Assassins were always working with the underclasses because the Templars were basically the Illuminati, and so had their irons in all of the major political fires.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 5072 5073 [5074] 5075 5076 ... 11037