Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5070 5071 [5072] 5073 5074 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14514557 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76065 on: May 11, 2015, 08:35:40 pm »

Independence, self-reliance can be vitally important to building self esteem.  Say ones parents visit, and before they leave they buy a bunch of dishes as a gift.  It's generous of them, yeah, but there are implications.  Maybe the person is happy with their dishware situation, or doesn't like the style, but what can they do?  Accept the gift, and be reminded of the shame every time they open the cupboard, or refuse and come off as an oversensitive, ungrateful asshole.
Sorta-kinda based on real events except it was just a bunch of cleaning supplies.  Consumable gifts are superior in that way, because everyone runs out of consumables.

I love holding doors open for people because it makes me feel good.  But I've noticed it's sometimes a bit awkward, particularly when I was a young kid holding it for some healthy adult.  I did it to feel generous, but in retrospect I'm pretty sure a lot of those people would have much rather I didn't.  Mostly strong guys who probably felt a little emasculated by this little kid, but also women trying to cultivate the same self-reliance.  At least I held the doors for everybody regardless of gender (I never really thought to discriminate, every closing door was a chance to feel benevolent).

I play support classes in online games to feel superior to others.  Same thing.  Though now it's more of a habitual playstyle heh, and I really doubt people mind much...  But I'm not actually being generous, just taking the comfortable position of apparent moral superiority.

I guess in short, even if someone gives a gift with no expectations in return, that can be legitimately uncomfortable for the receiver.  Particularly if they're trying to build self-esteem through independence.  It's not wrong to want to feel benevolent, but it can be unintentionally... patronizing, maybe?  Disrespectful, technically.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76066 on: May 11, 2015, 08:42:40 pm »

Yeah, I think you're coming down too hard on neo, here, FD.

And personally, I wouldn't call helping people against their will being a "good person". I've seen that sort of behavior cause of a hell of a lot of trouble in my lifetime. You ask someone if they want help, make the offer, and if they say no you back the blazes away. You keep going anyway and what you're doing isn't being a good person -- it's being something, but not that.

Though as to what it costs you, it costs you the nice walk you were enjoying and riding in a hurtling deathtrap you might have preferred not to. Depends on the person in question, but don't assume something that's costless for you is costless for someone else, y'know?

And beyond all that, the answer isn't to burn bridges. Sometimes you just want to build them somewhere else on the river. Talk to people, let them know what's up, help build mutual behavior in directions both parties are comfortable with. Deciding to steamroll or lay supine isn't healthy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76067 on: May 11, 2015, 08:46:24 pm »

If somebody wants to work to get something, (and thus feel accomplishment along with ownership), they need only tell me such, instead of flat refusal. I will graciously accept such an honest answer. I will just find somebody else to give the gift to, and may even ask the originally intended recipient if they know anyone who would like such a thing.

Again, I dont go out on limbs to get things for people unless there is some kind of glaringly horrid need (Like starving and bleeding in the streets kind of glaringly horrid)-- and only get big gifts when it is not going to hurt me to get the item in question. So, to me, it's on par with opening a door, just the situation is more opening the door for the quadriplegic. They need the door opened; they have no functioning limbs with which to open it, and they are trying to get in.  You don't mean to be condescending or rude by opening the door for them, and it is as easy as reaching out an arm.  The thing is, you have the arm that works, and they don't. It can feel just as horrible on the self-esteem level for the quadriplegic getting doors opened for them (Having to rely on others to open doors), as it does somebody wanting something and not being able to get it except through the charity of another.

Again, the very idea of purposefully causing such emotional distress to somebody is abhorrent to me, and definately NOT intentional. Just... unavoidable, since you can never be certain how somebody will react to having something done for them, or given to them.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #76068 on: May 11, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »

Saw a mostly-upvoted thread in /r/conspiracy asking what the "bright yellow powder" that was coating everything in Ontario was, and whether the news reports saying it was pollen were a cover-up. Commenter proposes that it might be yellowcake uranium, also upvoted.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76069 on: May 11, 2015, 08:50:43 pm »

Saw a mostly-upvoted thread in /r/conspiracy asking what the "bright yellow powder" that was coating everything in Ontario was, and whether the news reports saying it was pollen were a cover-up. Commenter proposes that it might be yellowcake uranium, also upvoted.
No. No. I refuse to believe that is real. It must be Poe's law. It has to be. No-one could... no.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76070 on: May 11, 2015, 08:51:28 pm »

Now somebody just needs to scatter aluminum tubes all over the place and we got us a warzone.  I hear that stuff's pretty valuable, maybe you can rig up a collection net.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76071 on: May 11, 2015, 08:55:31 pm »

No. No. I refuse to believe that is real. It must be Poe's law. It has to be. No-one could... no.

Let's be rational here.  Yellow cake uranium is far too valuable to just dump all over the place like an industrial waste product. Just a few pounds of the stuff is worth millions of dollars to terrorist groups, TO MAKE ACTUAL BOMBS.

No, I am guessing that pollen is the occam's razor contaminant of choice, and if you want conspiracy, go for something more believable, like Yellow Lead Chromate, and claim a local chemical factory is dumping the stuff illegally.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76072 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »

Does anyone know if yellow-cake uranium looks like... yellow cake mix?  I was going to call people stupid for thinking that, but I don't actually have any idea myself.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76073 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:13 pm »

Does anyone know if yellow-cake uranium looks like... yellow cake mix?  I was going to call people stupid for thinking that, but I don't actually have any idea myself.
Quote from: WIKIPED
The yellowcake produced by most modern mills is actually brown or black, not yellow; the name comes from the color and texture of the concentrates produced by early mining operations.
It's a powder so doesn't look like cake batter, and also isn't yellow after it's processed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #76074 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:52 pm »

It actually does.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #76075 on: May 11, 2015, 09:01:08 pm »

Wait, Aqizzar's back? Did you drink away your lifetime supply of beer already? :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76076 on: May 11, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »

it looks like this, according to google.

Amusingly, it DOES look very similar to lead II chromate, which looks like this:

For reference, yellow cake mix looks like this:

So, yellow cake uranium is MUCH brighter yellow than actual cake mix.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76077 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »

Wait, Aqizzar's back? Did you drink away your lifetime supply of beer already? :P

It was actually liquor, not beer, and not exactly.  I remember that was one of the last things I posted before I disappeared so I imagine a couple people probably assumed I'd met an alcohol related end.  Turns out, it's a lot harder to get rid of a pile of liquor than you might expect.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76078 on: May 11, 2015, 09:08:59 pm »

What I expected was Aqizzar's Pad to become the most bitchin' party joint in town for about a week before its untimely demise at the hands of that old foe, drunken arson.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76079 on: May 11, 2015, 09:18:26 pm »

Protip:  You can get rid of alcohol, including hard liquor, faster by cooking with it than you can from drinking it, even by inviting guests. 

Seriously, look how much rum goes into a savarin, or brandy into an authentic english pudding.

(1/2cup or more, and ONE WHOLE BOTTLE, respectively-- though the latter is more in jest. Probably similar in use, about a cup to a half cup.)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:21:13 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 5070 5071 [5072] 5073 5074 ... 11037