Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5064 5065 [5066] 5067 5068 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515801 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75975 on: May 10, 2015, 10:03:31 am »

I wonder how much trouble I would get into if I opened this speech by making sarcastic comments about teenagers being illiterate, a number of sweeping generalizations about the nature of stereotypes, and an accusation of censorship against the government. It's honestly tempting.
Do you have anything to gain by not doing what you suggested?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #75976 on: May 10, 2015, 10:11:14 am »

I wonder how much trouble I would get into if I opened this speech by making sarcastic comments about teenagers being illiterate, a number of sweeping generalizations about the nature of stereotypes, and an accusation of censorship against the government. It's honestly tempting.
Do you have anything to gain by not doing what you suggested?

I don't know how the markers would take it, and I'd rather not take the double hit of being disciplined and failed. I'm probably going to hand in a draft of the maximally aggressive version and a sanitized version, and see what happens.

Of course, the accusation of censorship is going in even if I sanitize the speech. Even if I don't take shots at everything I go past, some of them need shooting.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75977 on: May 10, 2015, 10:28:11 am »

To my knowledge non-alcoholic mouth wash does exist.
Listerine Zero. It does exist, but figure what you will from the reviews.

Apparently it leaves a white film on the gums, which also results in a copy/paste response from Johnson&Johnson that claims that it is a not typical experience for that to happen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75978 on: May 10, 2015, 10:29:50 am »

Kind of like when I looked up Nair and found most of the reviews saying CHEMICAL BURNS THE PAIN

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75979 on: May 10, 2015, 10:38:18 am »

Playing GW2, and for some reason I spent an hour naked roaming around with four naked Asura.
Back when I first played GW2 I was in a WvW guild called FIRE we would have weekly events.  Two of those events were Naked WvW night and naked races (which also happened to be on the wvw maps)

It was amusing charging through borderlands with a full guild group of between 40-50 players,  all of them in their skivvies and taking things.   We took bay keep twice on one of those events.  Broke the WP there too.

"Let the Charr go first.  It will demoralize them"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:45:45 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75980 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:01 am »

I just noticed that I don't like taking showers or bathing.

Like... outright.

I keep hearing people talk about how much better they feel after a shower but I am the opposite... I feel worse after a shower, I feel like garbage after one... I hate taking showers because how much my skin stings, my rashes come back, I feel itchy all over, and how much worse I feel in general.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75981 on: May 10, 2015, 12:09:55 pm »

What is your water quality like?  This sounds like you are having a reaction to something in the water.

Is it really heavy with lime? That is known to cause skin dryness and irritation.   I am loathe to suggest a fix for this until I know exactly what kind of water you have (Sulfur bearing? Heavy lime? Saline a little high? etc.) but there are various bath amendments you can add to bath water to make it less irritating to the skin.

It could also be a reaction to your cleanser. Do you have problems with detergents and fabric softeners? if so, try to avoid heavily scented detergent soaps, and stick to gentle products branded for sensitive skin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75982 on: May 10, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »

The water is rather harsh.

In that in the shower in the bathroom several of the prongs don't even function because they are full of some sort of hard white substance... and they will refill quickly but that is likely calcium.

As for soap I used to have less harsh soap, right now we use "Dove"... I thought it might be the temperature but I turned it down and I am still getting the stinging.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #75983 on: May 10, 2015, 12:26:38 pm »

That's a sign of hard water, which means that there are a lot of mineral impurities that can make the water harsh (and possibly not good for consumption.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75984 on: May 10, 2015, 12:28:05 pm »

That's a sign of hard water, which means that there are a lot of mineral impurities that can make the water harsh (and possibly not good for consumption.)

Well I don't think there was any question that our water is hard.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75985 on: May 10, 2015, 12:35:05 pm »

Dove is a moisturizing body soap, but from what it sounds like, you are having a problem with hard water producing soap scum, which causes skin irritation.

Since this is an issue with alkalinity, try adding a few tablespoons of table salt to your bath water before getting in. (If you use a shower, consider a water softener-- but adding salt to the tub is cheaper.)

Dove is a moisturizing soap-- which may be part of your problem. Soaps form a complex, insoluble compound when dissolved into hard water. The hydrophillic sodium ion on the hydrophobic fatty acid chain gets replaced with calcium or magnesium ions dissolved in the water (from carbonate minerals, usually). This changes the number of bond points from 1 to 2, causing the soap to have 2 hydrophobic fatty acid chains attached to a single calcium or magnesium ion, which is then no longer soluble. 

obligatory wikipedia

Try using a mild detergent instead of actual soap.  This may sound counter-intuitive, as often detergents are more harsh on skin that actual soaps, but where hard water is present, the reverse can be true, since the detergent requires less product to get the same clean, and leaves less residue. 

Adding salt to the bathwater, stirring it up, then letting it sit a few minutes allows the calcium and magnesium ions in the water to re-associate with the chloride ions added, which are more electronegative than the carbonate complexes they are usually associated with, which then permits the formation of sodium carbonate, (baking soda) instead of calcium or magnesium carbonates in the water.  Once this reassociation is complete, the formation of soapscum is far more difficult because the chloride ion holds onto those magneisum and calcium ions far more tightly, and wont allow them to replace the sodium of the soap complex. Soap lathers better, cleans better, and rinses cleaner.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75986 on: May 10, 2015, 01:34:05 pm »

And that is why chemists are wizards.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #75987 on: May 10, 2015, 01:41:54 pm »

To my knowledge non-alcoholic mouth wash does exist.
Listerine Zero. It does exist, but figure what you will from the reviews.

At the hospital we use non alcoholic mouth wash for our patients.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #75988 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:54 pm »

Went out to eat at a Asian restaurant for mother's day with my mom. The fortune cookie I got said "Failing to plan is planning to fail".

This is so relevant to my life right now. It's creepy. It's like the prisoners at the chinese fortune cookie factories know. They know.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #75989 on: May 10, 2015, 02:40:57 pm »

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:41:17 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 5064 5065 [5066] 5067 5068 ... 11037