Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5063 5064 [5065] 5066 5067 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515698 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #75960 on: May 09, 2015, 01:23:15 am »

and in 10 years when it is illegal to privately use the internet. Everyone will know it is you who made those posts :P

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #75961 on: May 09, 2015, 01:24:25 am »

Ignoring the fact that if someone's going to do that then they can also completely fabricate quotes from scratch. Even if your 'record' is spotless, it's essentially meaningless.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #75962 on: May 09, 2015, 01:33:12 am »

Generally, it's harder to fabricate an entire multi-user conversation that makes sense. I'm sure some clever folks could pull it off, but quotes from such contexts are generally going to be believable, and for that matter it largely doesn't matter what can be done as long as whoever wants to shame you can convince people that you probably really did say it. "I mean, you don't think somebody would really do that, do you? Just get on the Internet and tell lies?"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #75963 on: May 09, 2015, 01:51:56 am »

Eh, I see it more as along the lines of 'I shouldn't be held accountable for the things I say/said.' if someone asks me to not quote them, I'll oblige, but I still see it as... Distasteful.

People can change, but if one has changed then whatever it was that was said shouldn't really be relevant any more.

Anyway, Bowtie, I highly doubt many people are going to bother reading your first 100 posts. Why would they?
It can become an issue depending on your profession. I have a friend who already has to avoid attaching even a username to angry rants online because he's studying to be a teacher. It's not even important angry ranting, it's just a bunch of swearing about how terrible this one anime is. But he still has to avoid getting attached to it because if someone finds it later on he could get in trouble anyways just because of the wording. And in the case of the main bay12ver who makes those requests it's because she's a lawyer and the details of her personal life getting out to the wrong people could end very badly for her.

Heck and there's always that becoming a just slightly above average profile person can put you at risk for stupid things you said years ago due to media frenzies and modern dog-piling.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:00:22 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75964 on: May 09, 2015, 07:30:40 am »

why does tuxguitar think that E♯ === F♮

i mean, yeah, they're the exact same note

but you look at sheet music and want E♯ because it looks like shit when you're going from E♯ to F♯ and instead it's switching between Fs like nobody's business and yurgh

maybe i should switch to D♭ from C♯?

It gives you the option for 7 sharps then doesn't actually display B♯ or E♯...
Preference, mostly. I prefer all-sharps notation for semitones, but some people, including, apparently, programmer-y ones, might be used to that notation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75965 on: May 09, 2015, 10:21:12 am »

That feeling when you realize that you need a learning algorithm to optimize another learning algorithm ::)
._.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #75966 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:15 am »

That sounds like a bit of a pain.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75967 on: May 09, 2015, 10:33:37 am »

That feeling when you realize that you need a learning algorithm to optimize another learning algorithm ::)

Tell me that neither one of those is named "Skynet". Or "SHODAN".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #75968 on: May 09, 2015, 10:55:06 am »

Nah, it's just a (what I hope it will be) generic observation algorithm, which apparently needs a learning algorithm in order to avoid brute-forcing nearly-infinite space of possible correlations.

Something like this couldn't possibly go wrong.
._.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #75969 on: May 09, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »

I tried Project Xanadu, an early model for web documents that only recently has a working prototype.

I could see how this might be incredibly useful for scholarly articles and research, but I'm baffled that anybody thinks that this would ever be able to replace HTML/HTTP as the default method for viewing the Internet.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #75970 on: May 09, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »

My mouthwsh has alcohol in it, and due to my relative abstinence I can taste and feel it.  :\
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75971 on: May 09, 2015, 11:32:03 pm »

My mouthwsh has alcohol in it, and due to my relative abstinence I can taste and feel it.  :\

Oh, I'm pretty sure you can always taste it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75972 on: May 10, 2015, 07:52:47 am »

To my knowledge non-alcoholic mouth wash does exist.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #75973 on: May 10, 2015, 08:01:54 am »

To my knowledge non-alcoholic mouth wash does exist.
Listerine Zero. It does exist, but figure what you will from the reviews.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #75974 on: May 10, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

I wonder how much trouble I would get into if I opened this speech by making sarcastic comments about teenagers being illiterate, a number of sweeping generalizations about the nature of stereotypes, and an accusation of censorship against the government. It's honestly tempting.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 5063 5064 [5065] 5066 5067 ... 11037